2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Joel709
Joel709

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

ringo wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 18:52
Lasssept wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 18:26
..according to the information gathered by our editorial staff in recent weeks, the multi-award-winning team, on the sidelines of various meetings between the racing department and top management in Germany, has decided to embrace an epic turning point for the near future. Targeted investments, to re-power the team from top to bottom.
https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2024 ... appen.html
I think Newey is going to Ferrari. 3 legends, Newey, Lewis and Ferrari itself.
He has little to gain at career's end with a recent champion like mercedes, and no champion drivers. He also wont be going anywhere Max is, because Jos and Marko will tag along bringing the politics and toxicity.
He’s nearly 70, his time to move to Italy has probably passed. He’s already accomplished so much that I think he’s going to retire. He’s now got a new boat. Also would he even benefit off Hamilton? Red bull won’t allow him to go to a competitor without that gardening leave, the first car influenced by him will likely be mid 2027/2028

dialtone
dialtone

Joel709 wrote:
ringo wrote:
He has little to gain at career's end with a recent champion like mercedes, and no champion drivers. He also wont be going anywhere Max is, because Jos and Marko will tag along bringing the politics and toxicity.
He’s nearly 70, his time to move to Italy has probably passed. He’s already accomplished so much that I think he’s going to retire. He’s now got a new boat. Also would he even benefit off Hamilton? Red bull won’t allow him to go to a competitor without that gardening leave, the first car influenced by him will likely be mid 2027/2028
You can’t garden leave a contract ending… Binotto was handsomely paid to not go to another team for 1 year.

Joel709
Joel709

dialtone wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 20:04
Joel709 wrote:
ringo wrote:

You can’t garden leave a contract ending… Binotto was handsomely paid to not go to another team for 1 year.
Binotto was sacked, and everyone is paid to be on garden leave, it’s a way for companies not to allow transfer of recent information

dialtone
dialtone

Joel709 wrote:
dialtone wrote:
Joel709 wrote: He’s nearly 70, his time to move to Italy has probably passed. He’s already accomplished so much that I think he’s going to retire. He’s now got a new boat. Also would he even benefit off Hamilton? Red bull won’t allow him to go to a competitor without that gardening leave, the first car influenced by him will likely be mid 2027/2028
Binotto was sacked, and everyone is paid to be on garden leave, it’s a way for companies not to allow transfer of recent information
I think we can contain this discussion in one place only right?

Letting a contract expire and sacking someone are the same thing.

Dunlay
Dunlay

dialtone wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 20:47
Joel709 wrote:
dialtone wrote:

I think we can contain this discussion in one place only right?

Letting a contract expire and sacking someone are the same thing.
You can have a clause of Gardening leave kicking in at the completion of the contract too. It's all about how the contract is structured and how the pay structure is tied. If mutually both parties agree to continue, then they override the gardening leave and start a new contract and move the gardening leave once again to end of contract.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

chrisc90 wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 12:24
f1isgood wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 12:02
chrisc90 wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 09:26

Very bold statement to make there.
I don't think Max will have an issue but Jos did over-react after Monaco 2022 for instance, even if Perez did crash intentionally. And also I think people will agree George is a better driver than Sergio, so it is only natural he beats Max more often than Sergio.
Perez has 5 wins with Red Bull. Max has 58.

Its highly questionable that George would beat Max 'often', as the originally quoted post suggests. I would say Perez and George are somewhere on the same level, but they aren't in the same league as Max.

That is a ridiculous statement. Russell won the F2 title in his rookie year. In the strongest F2 field ever that included 2 future #1 drivers in Norris and Albon. He got 7 race wins which is the same amount of wins as Leclerc did in his rookie F2 year that vaulted him to F1. Russell then went on to win a race in his first year in a competitive car. And get 19 top 5's. Sergio Perez isn't even close. He's 2 tiers below Russell at minimum.

Russell is in the same league as Max. Did I say he's better than Max or that he would beat Max ? No.
Last edited by TeamKoolGreen on 27 Apr 2024, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

dialtone
dialtone

TeamKoolGreen wrote:.

Russell is in the same league as Max.
Good argument till this. Let’s not overstretch.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Joel709 wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 19:52
ringo wrote:
He's 65.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dialtone
dialtone

Just_a_fan wrote:
Joel709 wrote:
ringo wrote:
He's 65.
Basically a zombie already, practically dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

organic wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 17:33
Venturiation wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 16:37
Toto doesn't respect lewis
https://twitter.com/sim3744/status/1784169195959415063
Lewis didn't have a monopoly on mercedes titles unlike Schumacher, Vettel and Verstappen for their teams.
Because Lewis was expected to compete against his team mate where the others weren't/aren't.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ringo

dialtone wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 22:31
Just_a_fan wrote:
Joel709 wrote:

He's 65.

65 is the new 45!
In the ferrari threads I read of Rory Bern still guiding Ferrari. I am sure he qualifies as a fossil in your books. He seems to be fitting in well in Italy.
Newey's new boat could be for sailing in Venice.
Also Hamilton doesnt move to a new team unless there is a secrete weapon that gives him a guarantee.
Lauda and Brawn did show him an engine. Otherwise the silver cars Shu and Rosberg struggle to get on the podium could not have convinced Lewis to leave Mclaren.
Maybe what Elkan and Vasseur showed Lewis was Newey's MOU to Join in 2025. There had to be something convincing for Lewis, and i dont think it was Ferrari's 2022 and 2023 form.
For Sure!!

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 21:01
chrisc90 wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 12:24
f1isgood wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 12:02

I don't think Max will have an issue but Jos did over-react after Monaco 2022 for instance, even if Perez did crash intentionally. And also I think people will agree George is a better driver than Sergio, so it is only natural he beats Max more often than Sergio.
Perez has 5 wins with Red Bull. Max has 58.

Its highly questionable that George would beat Max 'often', as the originally quoted post suggests. I would say Perez and George are somewhere on the same level, but they aren't in the same league as Max.

That is a ridiculous statement. Russell won the F2 title in his rookie year. In the strongest F2 field ever that included 2 future #1 drivers in Norris and Albon. He got 7 race wins which is the same amount of wins as Leclerc did in his rookie F2 year that vaulted him to F1. Russell then went on to win a race in his first year in a competitive car. And get 19 top 5's. Sergio Perez isn't even close. He's 2 tiers below Russell at minimum.

Russell is in the same league as Max. Did I say he's better than Max or that he would beat Max ? No.
With the way toto is stooping so low and is ready to give Max everything he wants and then some to lure him to Merc I wouldn’t be surprised if #1 driver is included in any prospective contract. I believe George can challenge max on pace. Consistency? Not so much. But he almost outqualified max in a williams in wet conditions during that crazy Spa 21 weekend and hes giving hamilton hell on many weekends in quali so i know hes got the pace. Whether he will be allowed to show it is a completely different story.

dialtone
dialtone

ringo wrote:
dialtone wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote: He's 65.

65 is the new 45!
In the ferrari threads I read of Rory Bern still guiding Ferrari. I am sure he qualifies as a fossil in your books. He seems to be fitting in well in Italy.
Newey's new boat could be for sailing in Venice.
Also Hamilton doesnt move to a new team unless there is a secrete weapon that gives him a guarantee.
Lauda and Brawn did show him an engine. Otherwise the silver cars Shu and Rosberg struggle to get on the podium could not have convinced Lewis to leave Mclaren.
Maybe what Elkan and Vasseur showed Lewis was Newey's MOU to Join in 2025. There had to be something convincing for Lewis, and i dont think it was Ferrari's 2022 and 2023 form.
I was being sarcastic

Joel709
Joel709

Just_a_fan wrote:
Joel709 wrote:
ringo wrote:

He's 65.
I’m saying by 2028 he’ll be near 70

organic

For me: if Mercedes/Toto believed Russell was close to Verstappen's level, they would not bother going so far to court him and end up spending upwards of 100mln euros per year. I think this alone shows that Russell is probably not at the sufficient level yet given the teams have plenty of data. They'd be happy with Russell/Sainz if Russell really was 'the' guy.