2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 08:49
Why are people discussing Newey's possible departure in this thread?
Quite right! This stuff has gone out of control like people wanting revolution. A bit of Sir Hamilton breaking with MB and everyone goes stir crazy!
I think the gap to RedBull looks greater than the reality of F1, when a dominant period ends it happens quicker than expected. In 2020 Mercedes were still dominant, RedBull won 2 GPs. The next year it was changing of the champions.
My point is McLaren could be on the brink of overtaking Ferrari for second fastest car with the changes we're hoping will bring it on. RedBull or more specifically, Max, haven't been put under a lot of pressure since 2021. Pressure brings mistakes and opportunities. If McLaren brings it with it's upgrades and two fast young drivers, Max will start to feel he's fighting a battle on his own a lot of the time. Checo can't consistently provide the backup he will need if this onslaught becomes a reality. The engineers know that the current car is still a difficult beats for the drivers, possibly even more than the late season MCL60B. If the changes widen the window of setup and bring better tyre utilisation and a tenth or two then there will be a fight at the front. I know this sounds optimistic but I think all these steps are reasonable for a team who have been bringing the effective upgrades and sound predictions for a year now. Miami will be a real test as it's slow corners are at the bottom end of the MCL38's performance window.

BMMR61

LionsHeart wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 09:41
proteus wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 08:57
LionsHeart wrote:
I presume due to hopes and dreams he chooses Mclaren. Not going to happen though.
He already worked at McLaren. The only option if he wants to stay in Formula 1, but is unhappy with his position at Red Bull, is Ferrari. But if he believes in Honda, and he is already familiar with them, then there is a small chance that he will go to Aston Martin, although Alonso will not stay in F1 for that long. So Ferrari is the most logical option. I see no point in discussing this further.
Indeed. We don't even know if the reality isn't retirement from F1. Ferrari presents the sorts of challenges that 45 year old Englishmen take time to adapt to, let alone a 67 or 68 year old, given he won't be starting for at least a couple of years. I'm a bit over the speculation and clickbaiting.

haza
haza

the EDGE
the EDGE

It’s quality that counts, not quantity

So far, we’ve not seen anything game-changing introduced, just tweaks. Let’s see what teams bring to Miami, I think a number have said they have upgrades planned for next weekend

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 09:47
LionsHeart wrote:
Quite right! This stuff has gone out of control like people wanting revolution. A bit of Sir Hamilton breaking with MB and everyone goes stir crazy!
I think the gap to RedBull looks greater than the reality of F1, when a dominant period ends it happens quicker than expected. In 2020 Mercedes were still dominant, RedBull won 2 GPs. The next year it was changing of the champions.
My point is McLaren could be on the brink of overtaking Ferrari for second fastest car with the changes we're hoping will bring it on. RedBull or more specifically, Max, haven't been put under a lot of pressure since 2021. Pressure brings mistakes and opportunities. If McLaren brings it with it's upgrades and two fast young drivers, Max will start to feel he's fighting a battle on his own a lot of the time. Checo can't consistently provide the backup he will need if this onslaught becomes a reality. The engineers know that the current car is still a difficult beats for the drivers, possibly even more than the late season MCL60B. If the changes widen the window of setup and bring better tyre utilisation and a tenth or two then there will be a fight at the front. I know this sounds optimistic but I think all these steps are reasonable for a team who have been bringing the effective upgrades and sound predictions for a year now. Miami will be a real test as it's slow corners are at the bottom end of the MCL38's performance window.
I support this comprehensive opinion.

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 09:47
LionsHeart wrote:
Because some of them are speculating if he might come to Mclaren, which is perfectly fine even if you don't agree :wink:

I'm not one of those thinking he will, but I added another valid point that his departure will give Mclaren a potential opportunity as he may take staff with him, there's a good chance this could hinder the development of the RB for a little while at least. You'll note that is also Mclaren related :D
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

the EDGE wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 12:46
It’s quality that counts, not quantity

So far, we’ve not seen anything game-changing introduced, just tweaks. Let’s see what teams bring to Miami, I think a number have said they have upgrades planned for next weekend
I agree 👍. Things look nothing but positive overall.
None of the current car was developed in the new wind tunnel and its been up and running for a fair while now presumably working entirely on what is coming. Couple this with Stella's belief the they continue to see gains in development and we can be confident that what they bring will be sizeable.

mwillems

Going back to the front of the car, which has been suggested by Stella is not part of the Miami upgrade...
This is the article in which Stella was saying that they hope soon to bring that part to the front of the car... Which is why I wonder if they are having issues finding the performance that they need from the wing. It is why I think that the Miami upgrade might only be a part of what they planned to bring in the first update, and hopefully this part at the front will arrive not be long after Miami, if it doesn't arrive at Miami after all. For sure Stella has contradicted himself recently as the release schedules have moved.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they are finding more time and not struggling.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mcla ... ntil-2025/

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 14:43
Going back to the front of the car, which has been suggested by Stella is not part of the Miami upgrade...
This is the article in which Stella was saying that they hope soon to bring that part to the front of the car... Which is why I wonder if they are having issues finding the performance that they need from the wing. It is why I think that the Miami upgrade might only be a part of what they planned to bring in the first update, and hopefully this part at the front will arrive not be long after Miami, if it doesn't arrive at Miami after all. For sure Stella has contradicted himself recently as the release schedules have moved.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they are finding more time and not struggling.

I remember reading that when it was hot off the press and everything Stella said it that article sounded reassuring.
Where have you heard that a front wing isn’t coming to Miami again?
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 19:42
mwillems wrote:

I remember reading that when it was hot off the press and everything Stella said it that article sounded reassuring.
https://formu1a.uno/it/norris-le-condiz ... o-gp-cina/

" I think the update will help us, but I don't think it will do so particularly in Miami – Norris said about it – This is because there are many low-speed areas there and the updates are not aimed much at that, even if that is where we should earn the most. However, we always welcome an update, I'm enthusiastic, the team is working so hard to get these updates to us ."

It was translated from Italian, so perhaps there is something missing in the translation, but based on what Norris appears to have said, the upgrade isn't aimed at low speed corners. But Mclaren do like to surprise people.

shinekraj
shinekraj

Multiple reports of Lando sustaining facial injury at Amsterdam. Any official updates?
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... Grand-Prix

organic

shinekraj wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 23:14
Multiple reports of Lando sustaining facial injury at Amsterdam. Any official updates?
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... Grand-Prix
Minor cuts on the nose from broken glass yesterday while partying

Here's image from today showing minor extent

Emag
Emag

Lando has driven with tonsillitis (and whopped Daniel). This is nothing to worry in comparison.

Tis' but a scratch

trinidefender
trinidefender

mwillems wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 20:26
CjC wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 19:42
mwillems wrote:

https://formu1a.uno/it/norris-le-condiz ... o-gp-cina/

" I think the update will help us, but I don't think it will do so particularly in Miami – Norris said about it – This is because there are many low-speed areas there and the updates are not aimed much at that, even if that is where we should earn the most. However, we always welcome an update, I'm enthusiastic, the team is working so hard to get these updates to us ."

It was translated from Italian, so perhaps there is something missing in the translation, but based on what Norris appears to have said, the upgrade isn't aimed at low speed corners. But Mclaren do like to surprise people.
I'm not saying that they will for sure bring a new front wing in Miami but neither article you posted neither about bringing nor not bringing a new front wing or anything related to the front of the car. The articles just make reference to the upgrades not being particularly focused on low speed performance. More generally focused on performance as a whole which to me sounds like just generally producing higher downforce numbers and/or less drag.

A new wing definitely can be a part of that.

If what I say is relatively close to the truth then it would make me wonder if they are making a baseline car for the new tunnel as a comparison to the car built in the old tunnel and then after that focus might turn to fixing the issues of the old first and second iterations of the MCL38.

Obviously what I'm hypothesising is a big if.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Emag wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 00:11
Lando has driven with tonsillitis (and whopped Daniel). This is nothing to worry in comparison.

Tis' but a scratch
Quite offtopic but I appreciate your humour.