2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Elite
Elite

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Dunlay wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 04:08
Elite wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 22:42
Haha that's rich Dunlay :lol:

Maybe tell the same to the people bashing lewis and George.

And the ones patronising the Merc engineering team and hail max as some sort of Jesus Christ of driving.

The selective outrage is funny but annoying :evil:
Ok.

viewtopic.php?p=1201020#p1201020
Apologies it appears we're on the same side :oops:

I'm too used to the Lewis bashing thanks to the orange army invasion of this site :roll:

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... 5-upgrades

Let's hope they don't botch this up again. Interesting about the issues regarding front and rear limited circuits. Seems merc don't know their strengths yet...only weaknesses

basti313
basti313

Jdn1327 wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 10:34
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... 5-upgrades

Let's hope they don't botch this up again. Interesting about the issues regarding front and rear limited circuits. Seems merc don't know their strengths yet...only weaknesses
I do not know...after things going sideways, not understanding the car a miraculous high hope into an upgrade? Well, this would not be the first time this happens to Ferrari.
Don`t russel the hamster!

atanatizante

holeindalip wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 03:52
Besides the fact and understeering car which means sliding the front tires more than the rear would overheat the front tires undermines the fact the front tire warm up you speak of. Do you guys even think before posting on here?
Maybe I`m wrong but from my understanding, the front tires are overheating when there is an understeering car only during the race and particularly due to the hot/dirty/wake airflow of the car in front that it is pursuing at that race ... in the qualy sessions tyres that are sliding over the tarmac just overheat the surface of the tyre and didn`t have enough load as a heavy race car nor the dirty air coming out from the car chased to overheat the core of the tyre thus leading to thermal deg as they say ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

BritishPowerboats
BritishPowerboats

Mercedes need a new Aero team and need to speak with some boat guys. What they have is similar to when boats are porpoising Ie. they have their center of pressure or in their case negative center of pressure collapsing and shifting rapidly back and forth as it re establishes its self and collapses. Ok Aero is not boating but neither is trying to fly a car up side down 20mm from the tarmac. Water is 800 x denser than air so the problem is magnified and easier to study but with such a narrow window for it to be correct for aero, optimization is crucial. They would do well to study some Savitsky and adapt it.

Dunlay
Dunlay

BritishPowerboats wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 16:19
Mercedes need a new Aero team and need to speak with some boat guys. What they have is similar to when boats are porpoising Ie. they have their center of pressure or in their case negative center of pressure collapsing and shifting rapidly back and forth as it re establishes its self and collapses. Ok Aero is not boating but neither is trying to fly a car up side down 20mm from the tarmac. Water is 800 x denser than air so the problem is magnified and easier to study but with such a narrow window for it to be correct for aero, optimization is crucial. They would do well to study some Savitsky and adapt it.
Is porpoising their problem? They are not in 2022 anymore. Nobody exactly knows the problems the team is facing. They are not noobs or Internet forum experts that need to be replaced. They simply need some peace of mind and freedom for their team, not a new aero team. The expectations from an all conquering Mercedes was such that, the management, led by Toto still expects some magical progress. They need a calm, reassuring and supporting leader who is willing to accept the situation and work on road map for recovery and create an atmosphere or fun and enjoyment. I am guessing the atmosphere currently is probably that of a grave yard there. I still strongly believe, letting Elliott go was a huge mistake.

maygun
maygun

Dunlay wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 18:42
BritishPowerboats wrote:
Is porpoising their problem? They are not in 2022 anymore. Nobody exactly knows the problems the team is facing. They are not noobs or Internet forum experts that need to be replaced. They simply need some peace of mind and freedom for their team, not a new aero team. The expectations from an all conquering Mercedes was such that, the management, led by Toto still expects some magical progress. They need a calm, reassuring and supporting leader who is willing to accept the situation and work on road map for recovery and create an atmosphere or fun and enjoyment. I am guessing the atmosphere currently is probably that of a grave yard there. I still strongly believe, letting Elliott go was a huge mistake.
I feel like they are missing James's strategic mindset.

But completely agree, they need to devote a nice amount of people with good resources to just understand this set of regulations, without any agenda on improving the car, and develop necessary tools for next years.

r85
r85

Dunlay wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 18:42
BritishPowerboats wrote:
At this point it must be their simulator and tools being completely outdated or not fully compatible with the ground effect stuff. They've lost, fired, hired and re-hired new members but still haven't made any steps forward. With the right tools to understand the car better, we probably would have been seeing the third successful iteration of the W13.

Venturiation
Venturiation

the problems at mercedes must be serious and not only aero

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Hammerfist wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 00:45
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 17:15
Peter Windsor said on a podcast recently that he sent 3 messages to Toto on behalf of an extremely talented F1 engineer. Who is available and has asked Peter to try and contact him. And he has some ideas about what could be wrong with the car. And he's received no replies back.

30:50 minutes in

Yeah Peter has twice mentioned this. But a lot of people in f1 dont take Peter seriously. I guess that includes Toto.
Yeah I am not saying Toto should have taken the call. I just thought it was interesting. Peter does have some inside connections still

Venturiation
Venturiation

chrisc90

Dan Fallows come out and said about the suspension before the season even started didn't he?

dialtone
dialtone

Critically it's not push/pull related because Ferrari performs well with a pull rod rear.

KimiRai
KimiRai

chrisc90 wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 20:14
Dan Fallows come out and said about the suspension before the season even started didn't he?
Edd Straw & Mark Hughes mentioned that there was a "certain hint of slight frustration" behind Dan Fallows' words about the Merc 2024 rear suspension
"There was in some of his language a certain hint of slight frustration, not massively but you just feel that maybe they thought there was a bit more they could do."
15:42 (bit earlier if you want context)
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/asto ... t-podcast/

PlatinumZealot

BritishPowerboats wrote:
The aero team is great! They are not the issue. The problem is they only need ONE!! Person who properly understands these ground effects. The engineers are smart once they get the secret to unlock it they will have a decent chassis again.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏