McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Emag
Emag

Re: McLaren MCL38

Sidepod almost completely reshaped. Waterslides gone for the most part for a cleaner airflow at the top, while having a much bigger undercut. Reminds me of RB9 a bit, but with 10 years worth of advancements, bodywork is much tighter. They have also tightened the engine cover and have their own implementation of the Mercedes' "sausages". Not really to the same extent/effect that RBR and Merc have/had it, but similar idea.

Front-wing definitely looks different, but more comparison pics would help to see the difference. Same with the mentioned suspension changes.
Rear-end really seems like it's being treated differently though, especially the part in front of the rear brake ducts.
Last edited by Emag on 03 May 2024, 17:23, edited 2 times in total.

mwillems

Can't really tell properly but the front wing seems to still be shaped like the spoon of the main plane.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

_cerber1

The complete set is only for Lando, Oscar will only receive parts of the upgrades here, the rest in Imola.

f1rules
f1rules

very rb inspired, bigger upper lip, small waterslide starting late, fw is difficult to judge, but seem very similar
Last edited by f1rules on 03 May 2024, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:20
Can't really tell properly but the front wing seems to still be shaped like the spoon of the main plane.
I think this is the previous specification. I don't see any changes.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:24
mwillems wrote:
It looks different to me, but more on the elements.

I think the light is making it tricky to see however.
Last edited by mwillems on 03 May 2024, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:26
LionsHeart wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:24
mwillems wrote:
It looks different to me, but more on the elements.

I think the light is making it trick to see however.
Yes, maybe. A different perspective is required to understand the overall geometry.

mwillems

I'm not convinced the watersides have changed I think it's just the shadows are hidden and it looks smooth.

Need some pics from practise.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:22
Sidepod almost completely reshaped. Waterslides gone for the most part for a cleaner airflow at the top, while having a much bigger undercut. Reminds me of RB9 a bit, but with 10 years worth of advancements, bodywork is much tighter. They have also tightened the engine cover and have their own implementation of the Mercedes' "sausages". Not really to the same extent/effect that RBR and Merc have/had it, but similar idea.

Front-wing definitely looks different, but more comparison pics would help to see the difference. Same with the mentioned suspension changes.
Rear-end really seems like it's being treated differently though, especially the part in front of the rear brake ducts.
Right. The undercut under the sidepods has become deeper and extends further along the rear. A very aggressive part of the updates.

Regarding the front suspension. I was able to see a flattening at the upper front control arm. I didn't see any other visible changes.

Luscion
Luscion

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:29
I'm not convinced the watersides have changed I think it's just the shadows are hidden and it looks smooth.

Nope, waterslides are definitely changed.

Before -> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLb3DH3XsAA ... name=large
After -> https://i.ibb.co/Z6qwPDS/15-F08757-D376 ... C3-BC6.jpg

Just follow the crease towards the engine cover and see how much steeper it is in the older spec almost immediately after the inlet. That's not the case anymore, the "fall down" only happens at the rear-end.

saputra_25
saputra_25

Luscion wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:08
Reshaped sidepod inlet and top wing element. (both images from the upgraded car)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMqbkBrW0AA ... name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMqbkBpXwAA ... name=large
The upper wing close to sidepod inlet is way bigger than previously

f1rules
f1rules

its completely different
mwillems wrote:

f1rules
f1rules

exactly
Emag wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:33
mwillems wrote:

Nope, waterslides are definitely changed.

Before -> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLb3DH3XsAA ... name=large
After -> https://i.ibb.co/Z6qwPDS/15-F08757-D376 ... C3-BC6.jpg

Just follow the crease towards the engine cover and see how much steeper it is in the older spec almost immediately after the inlet. That's not the case anymore, the "fall down" only happens at the rear-end.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Against the backdrop of all this, a single-element beam wing looks interesting. Here we can really say that it is unloaded and designed to reduce drag.