2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Kaluh McLaren
Kaluh McLaren

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Lando just said “I just pushed too hard the car was very good a little bit of a mistake into turn 1” I still think there will be more information after he meets with the team

Emag
Emag

No guys, the problem is that they are overheating the tires in S1 just after 2-3 corners. The temp spike up and they can no longer provide the grip so the car starts sliding. The reason why S2 and S3 was good, is because after S1 they have a long-ish straight which gives the tires some time to cool-off. Then S2 is quite slow which doesn't heat the tires as much. And then you have another long straight which gives tires even more time to cool-off. So tires were pretty much on point in S3, and Lando has had pretty great straight-line speed with the upgraded car, so the purple S3 is not so surprising.

The reason why I think Lando might have made a mistake, is because he was much slower than Oscar. They both had this inherent problem with the car overheating the softs, but clearly Oscar handled it better.

_cerber1

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

1st qualifying with what is a “brand new car” for all intents and purposes… We all watched how much the same car that was off the pace in Bahrain started clawing back time just by dialing the setup… Nothing to panic about at this state.

Happy that the upgrades seem to have deliver an step on performance, all we can ask is that they keep moving forward and that’s exactly what they are doing… Regardless of Qualy tomorrow, the race will be an interesting one to watch, if drag has indeed been tamed and DRS is now more effective, we could see a fighting McLaren moving forward

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

Guys, look at the glass half full.
Q2 we had the pace to pit it after just one run, this is days I didn't think I would get to see again since 2012.
Secondly, this is a sprint weekend, less time to evaluate the tires as well as the updates, so I guess they just got something wrong with setup and prep for the soft. I believe that tomorrow at qualy, given all 3 session are on soft, we will see a major difference, as someone above just quoted Lando saying.
Bottom line, I think the work the team have done is amazing and it bodes well for the season, taking into account that this track plays to all of our weakness, very slow speed corners, long corners, long straights.
LFG McLaren!!!

Darth-Piekus

So in general the tyres were overheat very quickly and that costed the whole lap. Strange though as that never happened before. Still I am confident that this was just an one time only and won't happen again.

Emag
Emag

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:36
FittingMechanics wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:32
Vanja #66 wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:26
Both McLarens overcooked the softs in less than 1 sector, I hope they can play around with pressures for tomorrow and avoid late stint deg
Are you sure? They looked better later in the lap. It almost looks like the tyres were cold and thus they had awful S1 but managed to claw it back after they got some heat into them? If they overcooked them it should be opposite, good S1 and bad later sectors.

Maybe the preparation lap was compromised or they just overestimated how hot it was.
Mclarens were awesome on Mediums. The harder the compound, the higher operating temp window. Softer tyres have to be treated with care on hot tracks, for McLaren this is definitely an issue. Tyres also cool down on straights so they can get back down into window in McLaren's case.

As I said after China, this trait worked in their favour and Norris did a great job taking this opportunity
This is more of a missjudgement by their part other than a major weakness. It's true they work the tires harder than RBR and Ferrari, but this is manageable to some extent in qualifying. It's the race where it's tough to deal with it. It shouldn't have been like this on a quali session, but oh well, let's see how things pan out the rest of the weekend.

f1rules
f1rules

lando obviously means himself when he says i dont need to say it, i get it back tomorrow

mwillems

Emag wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:38
No guys, the problem is that they are overheating the tires in S1 just after 2-3 corners. The temp spike up and they can no longer provide the grip so the car starts sliding. The reason why S2 and S3 was good, is because after S1 they have a long-ish straight which gives the tires some time to cool-off. Then S2 is quite slow which doesn't heat the tires as much. And then you have another long straight which gives tires even more time to cool-off. So tires were pretty much on point in S3, and Lando has had pretty great straight-line speed with the upgraded car, so the purple S3 is not so surprising.

The reason why I think Lando might have made a mistake, is because he was much slower than Oscar. They both had this inherent problem with the car overheating the softs, but clearly Oscar handled it better.
Yeah makes sense.

Lando just came on. Mistakes at turn 1 and pushed too hard.

Oscar isn't concerned for deg in the race.

Zak saying that the team didn't bring the tyres in properly.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

f1rules wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:46
lando obviously means himself when he says i dont need to say it, i get it back tomorrow
He also said there is only 1 thing that didn't work, referring to himself.

But he needed the teams guidance on that tyre. Perhaps we should have spent more time on the soft in FP1.
Last edited by mwillems on 03 May 2024, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

How many laps is the sprint?

Emag
Emag

MCLvamos wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:48
Sprint is a write-off in my opinion. Best we can hope is to pass Ricciardo and finish behind both RedBulls and Ferarris. Not enough time to do more, but I have been proven wrong in the past. Let's see how the "medium"-run pace is like tomorrow.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Zak, taking the team blame for tyre prep.

1 lap in practice probably didn't really help learn anything. That's tge risk of upgrades on a sprint weekend though.

mwillems

MCLvamos wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:48
19 laps

mwillems