Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Re: Ferrari SF-24

AR3-GP wrote:
16 May 2024, 15:34
It's an opening:

https://i.postimg.cc/tgwD7fkz/image.png
Easiest guess here is that there's still a boundary layer sucking S-duct within the vertical bit, (presented above by Vanja) and this is the outlet. Both inlet and outlet are smaller now.

falonso81

Have the floor vanes changed at all? I compare them to launch spec but I am having difficulty finding any differences.

Vanja #66

A few nice angles, courtesy of Formula Passion

https://www.formulapassion.it/f1/f1-new ... uova-sf-24

Changes to the bodywork are quite substantial, every part is new including the airbox rear cover with HP logo. The cobra winglet is most likely working with the Halo (aws) vertical winglet with vortices working together to keep the cockpit spillage losses in check. The vertical part of the cobra winglet does the same as the old spec, generating a channel for energising the flow when in yaw to keep it attached along the bodywork.

The new inlet really does borrow a lot from W15 solution, I'm starting to think I have some fans in Ferrari engineering dept :mrgreen:

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 22:19
The (W15) undercut g-line is quite clean, undercut throat is about the same as AMR, McLaren and Ferrari. On the other hand, the bottom side of the inlet is a really lovely solution in my view. For a team that can afford slightly smaller side inlets this might be the best solution overall. Basically, the "vertical" area near the chassis is part of the inlet and so you "take away" the inlet surface from elsewhere. This allowed them to narrow the inlet overall, reduce the local drag on the outboard section of the sidepod and potentially improve the flow behaviour in yaw in this area, ie prevent separation in adverse conditions.

At the same time, if you have a straight horizontal inlet this same inboard area would feature the most pressurisation, ie drag, so they've said - ok, we have drag there anyway, let's use it as inlet. Another thing is - they do a bit of boundary layer clean up at the same time. I'd say this solution is inspired by their launch-spec W14 inlets and some advantages it offered. Finally, they combined the horizontal and the vertical part with an arch which has a natural curvature to propagate a bit of outwash as well as provide just enough pressurisation to deal with the front wheel wake. AMR, McLaren and RB are now committed to different solutions, but I think Ferrari will definitely want to thoroughly examine this kind of geometry.

The rear wing is twisted laterally like crazy, even more than RB20 flap tips are twisted :o

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Jakxy
Jakxy

Wow. This is gotta be one of the upgrades that changes the whole appearances of the car ever for Ferrari.

Fingers crossed for better season🤞

PlatinumZealot

@Vanja
The rear wing flap end treatment i think is also about squeezing every little percentage of usable wing span out of it. The sharper edge gives more internal span. I think the locally curved in portion you speak of does indeed alighns better with local flow... Though I think the degree of how much this curves inward depends on which wing is used track to track.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Emag
Emag

Was this part of the rear suspension always like this? Or is it a practice-only part that allows for easier setup changes?

Cs98
Cs98

Emag wrote:
16 May 2024, 17:54
Was this part of the rear suspension always like this? Or is it a practice-only part that allows for easier setup changes?

https://i.imgur.com/hlFgLuG.png
Just missing the shroud.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Vanja #66

PlatinumZealot wrote:
16 May 2024, 17:53
@Vanja
The rear wing flap end treatment i think is also about squeezing every little percentage of usable wing span out of it. The sharper edge gives more internal span. I think the locally curved in portion you speak of does indeed alighns better with local flow... Though I think the degree of how much this curves inward depends on which wing is used track to track.
Absolutely

KimiRai wrote:
16 May 2024, 18:13
So they are actually reducing the tunnel roof height locally (and not increasing it as we thought), but also the edge wing is far lower and more aggressive now. Seemingly, they are trying to claw back the raw downforce they gave up on with SF23B since Barcelona.

This should allow them two things now compared to launch floor - on flatter tracks they will be able to drop the car as low as they do it now, but they will have more downforce. On bumpier tracks they will have to increase the ride height, but they may be able to use softer springs and dampers and gain on slower sections without losing in quicker segments. Of course, it depends on their ability to keep the car from bouncing and the floor (in)stability while cornering.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AmateurDriver
AmateurDriver

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 May 2024, 19:00
PlatinumZealot wrote:
@Vanja
Absolutely

By the way, it looks like Red Bull is introducing a very similar concept at the rear wing flap.

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 May 2024, 19:00
PlatinumZealot wrote:
@Vanja
Absolutely

So they are actually reducing the tunnel roof height locally (and not increasing it as we thought), but also the edge wing is far lower and more aggressive now. Seemingly, they are trying to claw back the raw downforce they gave up on with SF23B since Barcelona.

This should allow them two things now compared to launch floor - on flatter tracks they will be able to drop the car as low as they do it now, but they will have more downforce. On bumpier tracks they will have to increase the ride height, but they may be able to use softer springs and dampers and gain on slower sections without losing in quicker segments. Of course, it depends on their ability to keep the car from bouncing and the floor (in)stability while cornering.
AHA, that's why they extensively test different ride heights in Fiorano.

FDD
FDD

Nice floor comparison photos

LM10
LM10

Ferrari’s upgrades never disappoint in the sense that everything seems to be well-thought-out when it comes to the whole package. It’s like no part stays untouched, even if it’s a “microscopic” change. The details and how they are meant to work in synergy is really nice, even more so when looking at it for longer and finding new details.

The twisting of the rear wing is on another level. It’s like a shovel that will plow through air, but with little drag penalty.
Is the sidepod inlet area a little bit decreased now? Hard to tell with the main inlet converging with the vertical one. The split in it is a nice catch and likely to be explained by the S-duct still existing.
Hopefully they’ve done some magic on the underfloor, too.

Really looking forward to the weekend and a good step forward.

Btw, thank you for your highlighting and analyses as always, Vanja. Really appreciate it!

ringo

The floor edge is very big. The hingers are deep in towards the side pods. Not new but I just noticed how much of the floor is the floor blade.
What they have done now is make this a very independent piece of the floor by adding the goose neck supportat the rear.
The floor edge can ride on the ground and still have enough air gap between it and the main floor to prevent stall. The steel gooseneck hinges if you will can also take a lot of hammering over curbs and not distort the whole floor. Just rhe floor edge will ride the ground or curb and hinge upward or have some compliance; since im sure the supports arent moving hinges (the will allow movement though).
For Sure!!

jambuka
jambuka

RB, Mclaren and Mercedes(new floor) both seem to have lot of jagged teeth on the sides. But Ferrari floor seems to be smooth on the side. Any ideas as to why that is ?

Red Bull

Mclaren

Mercedes

Ferrari