Lola shows off 2010 car

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:31 pm

Lola has shown off its B10/30 Formula 1 car in Huntingdon - the design may be for sale to new teams but they are not ruling out using it themselves - see this link

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... 1-car.html
ss_collins

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Grip is a four letter word.

2 is the new #1.
Jersey Tom

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:02 pm

I think all that illustrates is just how far away from the sophisticated aerodynamic configurations of the existing teams the newcomers are going to be.
kilcoo316

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm willing to bet that it's not the final design...
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.
mx_tifoso

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:18 pm

mx_tifosi wrote:I'm willing to bet that it's not the final design...

I hope it for them, as then we can reserve the last 2 places for the lola's, again...

The limits of the new rules havent been all utilized yet, but even this car is way behind the current development, the front wing has already better shapes(especially end plates) same counts for the rear wing and airbox, im really expecting nothing of them when i see the car.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender
wesley123

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:25 pm

wesley123 wrote:The limits of the new rules havent been all utilized yet, but even this car is way behind the current development.

My point exactly, why would they show a final version of their car when there is more than half a year before the 2010 season begins?

With that much time and the actual track running the car would definitely look different/up to date.

I would presume that this is a teaser of sorts, and when a possible buyer shows real interest Lola will show the real deal.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.
mx_tifoso

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:27 pm

a windtunnelmodel is way too expensive for Lola just to build it as a teaser....I´m sure the tub design pretty much represents what they were planning...have they accounted for the big fuel cell already? so maybe they can show it anyways as they found out they have to bin the current one and are working on MKII already...
marcush.

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:43 pm

Lola aren't entering until 2011...so who is this car intended for? If they have 18 months to get a car ready, they will do fine 8)
Powertrain Cooling Engineer
Scotracer

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:42 pm

Aside from that, Autosport has their issue labelled "2010 F1 revealed" where it seems some design changes will happen appart from the narrower tyres..it seems the rear wing will be farther..I wonder where they got that.
Ogami musashi

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:13 pm

At least Lola has a car, or so it would seem anyway?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"
xpensive

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:55 pm

xpensive wrote:At least Lola has a car, or so it would seem anyway?

Actually, it would seem they have scale model. So far removed from an actual car that needs to handle forces.

It might even have the ability to roll!
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute
Giblet

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:36 am

I'm sure they have CAD-drawings anyway, just like USF1?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"
xpensive

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:34 am

I had an ‘insider’ on the Lola project. Having been given design data from Cosworth and Bridgestone the team were seriously looking at 2010 and testing the car in their tunnel, obviously the design is at an early stage in its maturity, as the team were mainly trying to understand which parts were influential and took some cues from other successful contemporary designs. I’d guess a second cut of the design would have been taken to optimise its shape based on their findings and as a result of developments through 2009 (mainly DDDs and forward weight shift).

The team were clearly p***ed off when the FIA dropped their entry in favour of others.
scarbs

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:31 am

Obviously the wings are there just for show, they get developed so no fully designed wing would be on there atm.

That said, the chassis looks already outdated, the changes that has happened throughout this season would mean anyone driving that car would be back to an Australia 2009 type car.
Last edited by Confused_Andy on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Confused_Andy

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:32 pm

I'm just amazed that people are talking about this wind tunnel model like Lola would put it on the track! It's clearly an early testbed/baseline.

What we can note is that the sidepods are heavily undercut and so I would presume wouldn't be too conducive to carrying KERS.

Lola and all the teams signed up, would simple look at the development that is happening and evaluate it throughout 2009, and use the knowledge gained by the 2009 field to bring a car to fruition that is probably .5-1.0sec of a second off the 2010 established field.
- Axle
axle

Next

Return to General chat