2010 Winter Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djos

Re: 2010 Winter Testing Thread

timbo wrote:
djos wrote:If the car was working well, why would they bother with this kind of equipment?
We can argue on that until first few races when we'd see their true form.
What you're asking is reasonable, although there probably can't be an excess of info, especially with test limits. Last year's trouble forced them to be creative in gathering info, that may yield an edge over a competition.
Or they are indeed in trouble again.
Fair enuf, data is king eh? 8)
"In downforce we trust"

WhiteBlue

Stable times Webber
10:25 - Mark Webber drives stable times in the 1:33 in the rain. Nico tries now in the rain. Hulkenberg occasionally appears to have problems with his gearbox, watching the switch.

Webber RB6 new test in the rain
10:17 - Mark Webber is the second rider in which luck and the rain. With more clear spray behind his car as is the Liuzzi Red Bull Racing driver on the track as well as a fastest time 1:35.569. The fans continue to flow into the grandstand, despite the persistent rain.

1:43 in the rain
10:08 - Vitantonio Liuzzi 1:43.425 in a driving rain the first time. At the time of writing Liuzzi improves his time to 1:40.478.

Liuzzi first in the rain
10:05 - Vitantonio Liuzzi was the first driver to go on the circuit in the rain. The circuit seems as yet not very wet, as there appears little spray behind the car.
Due to the previous dry times the tabled times are not showing the wet action.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

myurr

Don't forget that McLaren are rumored to have the most advanced tyre simulation system of any of the teams - that data may be invaluable to them.

Mr Alcatraz

timbo wrote: We can argue on that until first few races when we'd see their true form.
What you're asking is reasonable, although there probably can't be an excess of info,
especially with test limits. Last year's trouble forced them to be creative in gathering info,
that may yield an edge over a competition.
Spot on!
timbo wrote: Or they are indeed in trouble again.
:-"
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

ESPImperium

I wonder why Virgin arnt there??? They said they would (i think) and arnt there yet to my knowlege, or are they starting from tomorrow???

gibells

ESPImperium wrote:I wonder why Virgin arnt there??? They said they would (i think) and arnt there yet to my knowlege, or are they starting from tomorrow???
Virgin update from eddstrawF1: "Latest on the Virgin is that it might be a bit longer than 20 mins before it's out - but they are confident that it will be on track soon."

Mr Alcatraz

gibells wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:I wonder why Virgin arnt there??? They said they would (i think) and arnt there yet to my knowlege, or are they starting from tomorrow???
Virgin update from eddstrawF1: "Latest on the Virgin is that it might be a bit longer than 20 mins before it's out - but they are confident that it will be on track soon."
I heard they just pussed-out :mrgreen:

gibells

The Virgins won't come out the Manor because its raining.

Richard

It seems McLaren are reverting to what they know best, which is to gather every piece of data possible. If they can’t run full scale wind tunnels, then they bring the tunnel to the track. Fortunately for them, this seems a planned test regime because the equipment they are using will have taken time to develop to withstand the movements and vibration of a car on a track.

One can’t help thinking that they are going for shock and awe, they showing their near finished car from day 1, and using technology and data like a sledgehammer. Meanwhile Newey will be doodling on the back of an envelope, and probably get a simpler answer to deliver similar results.

So many questions .... Has the McLaren been over cooked? Is the Ferrari undercooked, or will they unveil their final McLaren-esque aero package in the last days of testing? Where do they fit the fuel into the RB6? Both Merc and RB seem to have rather obvious gaps ready for the final uber-DDD, when will we see them?

One thing is not in doubt though – Merc have the most beautiful airbox in the history of racing! :)

----

Oh, and I see there are some RB6 track pics in the RB6 thread ...

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7658&p=145887#p145887

astracrazy

good view of the sensors on the macca

I think its safe to say macca arnt going for top place today with that on the side

edit:
was that opening (below the little vodafone near buttons head) there before? it goes straight instead of following the sidepods

WhiteBlue

It looks like a very high mounted harvester for donkey food. :?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

horse

Button doesn't seem to be able to stop staring at the thing. There are loads of pictures of him taking a right hander while he is staring out at the left hand side of the car!
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Mr Alcatraz

richard_leeds wrote:It seems McLaren are reverting to what they know best

One can’t help thinking that they are going for shock and awe
I didn't realize there is a race in Baghdad :?

Or were you speaking metaphorically, like being bogged down in a third world country! :lol:
richard_leeds wrote:One thing is not in doubt though – Merc have the most beautiful airbox in the history of racing!
Why don't you marry it? :lol:

----

Richard

Tazio wrote:I didn't realize there is a race in Baghdad :?

Or were you speaking metaphorically, like being bogged down in a third world country! :lol:
Why don't you marry it? :lol:
Which bit of "F1 Technical" do you not understand? :?

sunny1304

does anyone know what cause red flag for Weber ?? is the car damaged badly ?