Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bar555
bar555

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Once again the Mc Laren team used fluorescent paint , this time during the winter test at Valencia , to understand the car’s aerodynamics . The green fluorescent paint is mixed with paraffin oil and placed around the car and when it is disrupted by high speed air gives an indication of the airflow to identify how certain parts of the car are working

Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

wesley123
wesley123

is it me or does the beam wing creates an vortex at the end plate side?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bar555
bar555

Indeed :wink:

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

bar555 wrote:Image

Once again the Mc Laren team used fluorescent paint , this time during the winter test at Valencia , to understand the car’s aerodynamics . The green fluorescent paint is mixed with paraffin oil and placed around the car and when it is disrupted by high speed air gives an indication of the airflow to identify how certain parts of the car are working

If you look at the image showing the vis flow on the right you'll see that the dye shows up exactly the wavy black line on the rear of the wing. If there is air being fed through the fin to the rear wing it's along this line that I'd expect it to be coming out. What do people think?

Richard
Richard

alelanza wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:
Also you can see the red pull tabs just above the "E", I presume engine cut off? Are they new for this year?
Has been there for a while, for marshals to activate built in extinguishers
I'd noticed the E before but never noticed the tabs sticking out. How odd.

bar555
bar555

Very sharp eye you have bonjon1979 .

Richard
Richard

bar555 wrote:Very sharp eye you have bonjon1979 .
That's the line we've been talking about...

:arrow: viewtopic.php?p=146461#p146461

wesley123
wesley123

now we are sure lol.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

horse

bonjon1979 wrote:If you look at the image showing the vis flow on the right you'll see that the dye shows up exactly the wavy black line on the rear of the wing. If there is air being fed through the fin to the rear wing it's along this line that I'd expect it to be coming out. What do people think?
If that slot is pumping air, the flow rate must be tiny! Considering the size of the auxiliary inlet, the back pressures must be huge (would this maybe stall the flow into the airbox???). This could, of course, explain why the inlet size has been reduced.

Still, I think the flow viz had simply got stuck on the ridge through some circulation and the picture on the right would make me think the slot is not blowing at all or it would have blown the flow viz paint off. The picture on the left could show the slot blowing, but it's a bit inconclusive.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

bar555
bar555

seems that i 've missed some interesting pages of this thread .... :lol:

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

horse wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:If you look at the image showing the vis flow on the right you'll see that the dye shows up exactly the wavy black line on the rear of the wing. If there is air being fed through the fin to the rear wing it's along this line that I'd expect it to be coming out. What do people think?
If that slot is pumping air, the flow rate must be tiny! Considering the size of the auxiliary inlet, the back pressures must be huge (would this maybe stall the flow into the airbox???). This could, of course, explain why the inlet size has been reduced.

Still, I think the flow viz had simply got stuck on the ridge through some circulation and the picture on the right would make me think the slot is not blowing at all or it would have blown the flow viz paint off. The picture on the left could show the slot blowing, but it's a bit inconclusive.
Yeah, I'm still not convinced. Could just be a ridge! I think there are some unanswered questions. The access panel and the bulbous shape of the fin. Also, could the lack of sponsorship stickers on the back be telling? Who knows! Until someone from Mclaren comes out and tells us one way or another, (which I can't see them doing) then it's all guess work. Really interesting theory though, even if it does turn out to be nonsense!

Pandamasque

horse wrote:Still, I think the flow viz had simply got stuck on the ridge through some circulation and the picture on the right would make me think the slot is not blowing at all or it would have blown the flow viz paint off. The picture on the left could show the slot blowing, but it's a bit inconclusive.
I don't think the picture on the left could show anything. It looks like the pic on the left is just some paint before testing. Look at the endplate for example. It's like:
before ______________________________________________________ after

Poleman

Indeed,in the left pic seems to be plain wet paint without any air flow.

horse

Pandamasque wrote: I don't think the picture on the left could show anything. It looks like the pic on the left is just some paint before testing. Look at the endplate for example. It's like:
before ______________________________________________________ after
I did wonder if this was a before and after shot, but I thought the wing end plate was evidence to the contrary. It looks like paint has been blown onto the endplate rather than painted (although I don't know how they apply the stuff) and I thought similar about the diffuser region. My thought was that the picture on the left was either a lower speed run (like an installation lap) or they came in to photograph the paint at an intermediate stage before it dried completely. I could well be wrong though.

:)
bonjour1979 wrote:Until someone from Mclaren comes out and tells us one way or another, (which I can't see them doing) then it's all guess work. Really interesting theory though, even if it does turn out to be nonsense!
Absolutely! Perhaps another team might moan about it, and then the truth will come out.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

RDJEHV
RDJEHV

can you give us the link to the full resolution of the flow vis pic? maybe we can see if it's a ridge or a slot.