India will host 2011 Grand Prix

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Re: India 'will host 2011 Grand Prix'

I wonder how expensive 20 m of elevation changes are. Perhaps Ciro could give us a word on it?

I do not agree that fast sweeping curves are the most important. Sure you don't want only Miki Mouse turns but Barcelona has fast corners and almost always boring races. Sepang for instance has a nice mix and some of the most demanding corners in F1. The drivers love it and still many people hate the track. It produces good races with a high attrition rate and a high prospect of rain. So, what is wrong with it? And now they oppose India without even a trial run by an experienced F1 driver in a simulator. How intelligent is that?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pandamasque

In Barcelona the cars look impressive even without overtaking. Not a lot of things can change direction as quickly as Formula 1 cars. On circuits like Bahrain or Sepang you just don't see that. The turns are mostly slow and 'awkward' to drive and the walls (trees, buildings....etc) are far away from the track so the cars look much slower.

Ted68

hecti wrote:I want the A1 ring back!!!!

just popped into my head while reading the thread....
Yeah, let's bring some older, classic tracks up-to-date rather than these cookie cutter Tilkedromes. It would cost less and they are in places people wanted a racetrack in the first place. China barely has cars. Their people need alot more before they care about F1. Fix up Magny Cours, Mexico City, Dijon etc.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

Jersey Tom

Watkins Glen. Nuff said.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

rahulsampath

I've read an interview with Mark Hughes,vice pres of JPSK (guys building the indian track) and found these interesting things:
"The circuit is part of a sports city being constructed 35 kilometres outside the Indian capital on a 2,800 acre site with areas set aside for the Formula One track and a 100,000-seater international cricket stadium,"
"It's an undulating 5.5 kilometre track which we expect to have the second fastest average speed of any circuit on the calendar behind Monza".
"We sent the details to all the teams and they programmed the information into their simulators and gave us feedback on where we could make improvements and add overtaking opportunity points".
"We expect to complete construction by July 2011 and once (Formula One governing body) FIA has given its approval we can finalise training for marshals, track officials and medical staff in time for an October race".
"The circuit is a private venture and has a budget of $350 million, so without government assistance we fully expect to stay within cost"

hecti

rahulsampath wrote:I've read an interview with Mark Hughes,vice pres of JPSK (guys building the indian track) and found these interesting things:
"The circuit is part of a sports city being constructed 35 kilometres outside the Indian capital on a 2,800 acre site with areas set aside for the Formula One track and a 100,000-seater international cricket stadium,"
"It's an undulating 5.5 kilometre track which we expect to have the second fastest average speed of any circuit on the calendar behind Monza".
"We sent the details to all the teams and they programmed the information into their simulators and gave us feedback on where we could make improvements and add overtaking opportunity points".
"We expect to complete construction by July 2011 and once (Formula One governing body) FIA has given its approval we can finalise training for marshals, track officials and medical staff in time for an October race".
"The circuit is a private venture and has a budget of $350 million, so without government assistance we fully expect to stay within cost"
that doesnt sound so bad, at least its fast

siskue2005

Second fastest Average speed to Monza! how is that possible?
Which is the current second fastest Av speed track?

lkocev

Second fastest average speed to Monza does seem a little bit on the optimistic side to me with all those slow corners. I'm not certain, but I think so the second fastest track average speed is achieved at Spa. Spa is about 7km long, a lap I think normaly takes 1:45, so I think average speed over a single lap should be about 240km/h. Im pretty sure the average speed around Monza is above 260km/h.

siskue2005

guys look at this picture
it looks good in this version
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/imag ... tml?page=1

WhiteBlue

It looks like the corners have a fair degree of banking. Perhaps that adds to the speed.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pandamasque

I guess Silverstone would be the 3rd fastest behind Spa then. Oh wait... was.

PlatinumZealot

The track looks wicked.. I like it..I love the elevation changes (even though the elevations are scaled to a factor of 5 in the picture). The only part i think should change is the big hairpin on the west side. Maybe Tilke should make it "slingshot" out instead of bringing it back in. This will allow more room to setup a pass on the downhill straight.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

Paul

Tilke even has the break points planned this time. Very convenient. Although I demand a "wall you can drive into so your team-mate can win" point to be included too!

Giblet

I found the track boring and stagnant looking until I saw the elevation changes. It could be a real corker, but it looks like if the drivers aren't careful they'll just fall off the sides.

:wink:
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Gary

Why does the Tilke graphic exaggerate the elevation by five times? To suck us in, perhaps? Seems to me there won't be much in the way of elevation changes at all.

Once again, this is a Tilkedrome characterised by constant radius corners. Look at the proper road circuits and you'll nearly always find they have a number of corners with the radius tightening up or opening out during the corner and often, significantly changing elevation through the corner. These are the factors that challenge drivers.

So far, the Indian track is to me sadly underwhelming ... I hope I'm wrong.