Virgin Racing VR-01 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zgred

Re: Virgin Racing VR-01 Cosworth

Holm86

I wouldnt smell that dudes finger ......

Richard

Sorry for being dim, but how were thw last 3 positions in the WCC decided?

I guess it is count back on highest poestion? Lotus managed a 12th in Japan, HRT had three 14th places, while Virgin only manged two 14th places?

I'm sure Branson will love that dress, he's done it before....

Florio

I think Virgin may be a surprise next season, I think they'll be closer to Lotus than many people think, if you consider that most of the first half of the seasons development went into reliability (hydraulics). In the hands of Timo the Virgin wasn't a bad car.

marcush.

I like Virgin and I like Wirth.
but relistically they lack the budget to rise that quickly.the car had fundamental lacks it was not good enough to be even near the toro rosso ,and they
clearly were unable to match the lotus which was looking sooo outdated as it was drawn up 3 or 4 years ago...Lets face it,the second year will be as hard as this one ,but HRT not in a position of having nothing to test before the first race..
the Dallara was a crap car according to willis and it was not that much slower than the VR-01 most of the time.considering glock is a top driver the only plausible conclusion is :the VR01 is a crap car in the 2010 context.

Formula None

Can they legally maintain the Virgin name the second time around?

I wonder if the new teams will be able to invest in adjustable rear wings next year. And without DDDs next year, they might be disproportionately affected if their cars were designed around it. Add to that new tires, KERS and the return of the 107% rule...

Florio

Formula None wrote:I wonder if the new teams will be able to invest in adjustable rear wings next year. And without DDDs next year, they might be disproportionately affected if their cars were designed around it. Add to that new tires, KERS and the return of the 107% rule...
Wirth has already said the team won't be running KERS next year, it's all to do with weight issues, and KERS is just another problem, if they introduced it 'it would bring 2 or 3 tenths we need 2 or 3 seconds.' It was on Autosport I think.

Formula None

Well thats good news for them. Wasnt sure if kers was yet made mandatory. If 2009 was any indication, no KERS should make them faster. I wonder if KERS will slow down the top teams enough to keep the new guys within 107%...

Florio

Formula None wrote:Well thats good news for them. Wasnt sure if kers was yet made mandatory. If 2009 was any indication, no KERS should make them faster. I wonder if KERS will slow down the top teams enough to keep the new guys within 107%...
I'm just guessing but I heard that the power or lightness of the KERS could be improved on for the next season, I think the only downfall of KERS for the big teams of 2011 is the packaging of them in their very slim designs of their cars.

marcush.

everything can be improved.the question is how much and for what recources to be spent..for the small teams the potential gain is just too small to even consider it...If you are 3seconds per lap down what sense is in this to spend millions on a system that will give you a few tenths .They will hopefully spend their budget more efficiently.

Florio

marcush. wrote:everything can be improved.the question is how much and for what recources to be spent..for the small teams the potential gain is just too small to even consider it...If you are 3seconds per lap down what sense is in this to spend millions on a system that will give you a few tenths .They will hopefully spend their budget more efficiently.
Yeah, they'll spend their budget on making their car actually finishing a race, making it lighter and improved aero. I doubt they'll invest in something like KERS and the adjustable rear wing, when theres bigger issues to be resolved.

Intego

Improving reliability and weight was HRT's job, that's why they gained 11th place. I think Marussia Virgin WILL invest just because of new money from a new sponsor/partner. And I don't think Richard Branson wants to be stewardess twice. :lol:

BTW: When is the big flight??? :twisted:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

ESPImperium

Intego wrote:Improving reliability and weight was HRT's job, that's why they gained 11th place. I think Marussia Virgin WILL invest just because of new money from a new sponsor/partner. And I don't think Richard Branson wants to be stewardess twice. :lol:

BTW: When is the big flight??? :twisted:
I have a feeling that the VR/02 will be a much better car, simply because of investment. Wirth Research has the second most powerful CFD facility in F1 at their new facility. Manor GP has also hired or is to hire up to 40 more employees to the end of January.

Virgin are rumored to be taking less of a stake in sponsorship of the team visually on the car, most probably the cockpit sides (Where they were on the Brawn in 2009) and the rear wing. Vrigin are supplying $10m a year. Marussia are rumored to be supplying $14m. Other sponsors are rumored to be supplying $21m, a year; Nick Wirth has said he needs $55m to $60m a season for a compeditive programme, whitch is $15m short of where they need to be. I have a suspicion that they are looking at a pay driver for the needed $15m, if not more as a surplus would be nice.

Virgin have a good set up, all they really need is investment. And i think Investment is what they will get.

Seemingly the VR/01 was a bit of a heavyweight, and the fact it had an unrelyable hydrolic package was its downfall with the lack of useable weight distrubution. Hispania reduced their weight and also worked on the hydrolics alot, made the car more useable, it may not have been as fast as the VR/01, but the F110 was a much more useable car. The Hispanias were just waiting for the Virgins to fail in a race.

The Virgin in 2011 will be a much better car, more or less on the pace i feel. Will probably get trounced by the Team Lotus cars.

Florio

ESPImperium wrote:
Intego wrote:The Virgin in 2011 will be a much better car, more or less on the pace i feel. Will probably get trounced by the Team Lotus cars.
To be expected though. Thats what you get when you hire basically the old Toyota team. They have a lot of investment. I don't think they'll keep Di Grassi. Timo for experience and results and like you said...a pay driver for the shortfall in money.

Intego

Florio wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:
Intego wrote:Improving reliability and weight was HRT's job, that's why they gained 11th place. I think Marussia Virgin WILL invest just because of new money from a new sponsor/partner.
The Virgin in 2011 will be a much better car, more or less on the pace i feel. Will probably get trounced by the Team Lotus cars.
To be expected though. Thats what you get when you hire basically the old Toyota team. They have a lot of investment. I don't think they'll keep Di Grassi. Timo for experience and results and like you said...a pay driver for the shortfall in money.
Quotes fixed.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules