Which McLaren chassis is this?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marcush.

Re: Which McLaren chassis is this?

thanks for confirming this scarbs.
Happy to hear that others are also interested in these historical references.

I would love to see a thread about the true masters and not so genius ones in F1 design !

but what is genius here ,the number of significant inventions ,the number of championship winning cars, penning of significant milestones in F1 design?

Raptor22

Gordon Murray would have to feature quite prominently in that list. He was of course not an Engineer but a Draughtsman with a serious aptitude for car design. He learned his engineering skills along the way. He trained at Natal Technical College in South Africa. It is now the Natal Techinal University who honoured him with a Professorship in 2002.
He designed the Brabham BT46B Fan Car and the championship winning BT49 and BT52.
He was a bit too adventurous with the BT55 but he used the concept to good effect on the MP4/4, the first post Barnard McLaren (barnard had moved to Ferrari in 1987) and it remains the most successful GP car in history winning 15 out of 16 races.
The MP4/5 family of McLarens F1 cars was his work as well and literally dominated F1 in the hands of Alain Prost and Aayrton Senna from 1989 to 1991. He moved to McLaren cars thereafter and penned the awesome Mclaren F1 road car.
I believe he was also instrumental in the Ariel Atom by designing a predessessor called the Rocket, a similar car that the Atom was based on
The man is an automotive genius. He designed his cars on a drawing board and largely by himself (especially in the Brabham days cos Bernie was tight even then).
Between himself, Adrian Newey and Rory Byrne, they have dominated F1 over the last 30years.
He and Byrne are of course, my countrymen. :)

ringo

Blackout wrote:Yes
Naked MP4-4

MP4-5

different car, but good video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwij1NWPbTQ[/youtube]
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

The picture looks legendary....
balalev wrote:Image
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

In what way?

PlatinumZealot

It is Legendary In every way.

You know how Bruce Lee is before a big fight? That is the same emotion I feel when I see this picture.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™