Ferrari 150° Italia

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan

Re: Ferrari F150

Ah, I see. Happened to have Firefox on this box. See what everyone's on about now.

Looks like the RB has a longer wheelbase that the F150 too. The RB's rear end is very slim though.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mr.G

raymondu999 wrote:That is insane!! Look how tight the rear of the RB7 is compared to the F150!! The bull's arse is a lot tighter than the stallion's chunky butt :shock:

I don't have the feeling. At first the RB7 is little bit more in front, so it little bit lie. And another think look at the top of the bottom cover. The Ferrari one looks thiner than the RB7.

Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

imightbewrong

Mr.G wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:That is insane!! Look how tight the rear of the RB7 is compared to the F150!! The bull's arse is a lot tighter than the stallion's chunky butt :shock:

I don't have the feeling. At first the RB7 is little bit more in front, so it little bit lie. And another think look at the top of the bottom cover. The Ferrari one looks thiner than the RB7.
The photos weren't in exactly the same perspective, but very close. So i rotated them so that the line between the wheel nuts on the front and back wheels were in parallel between both cars. Then I adjusted the size so that the height of the rims were the same and aligned the cars at the rear wheels, since I wanted to see how the side pod endings differed.

Goran2812

it looks more the other way around to me... hmm...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Michiba

the Red Bulls have had the tightest rear ends ever since they banned aero elements from the body work, and this year is no different.

Although the angle of the wishbones can distort things, the length of the RB wishbones compared to the ferrari's should indicate that there is less body work there. Coupled to the pushrod layout, there are hug gaps that lead the to the rear elements.

The only thing that is larger on the RB is the hot air exit below the wing which will change depending on the cooling requirements of the track. The fact that Ferrari have chosen to put their hot air exits on the lower body work makes that rear end more bulky.

Crabbia

the only thing i can tell for certain in that photo is that alonso doesnt seem to be sitting up high relative to the car compared to webber.

Strange cause that was quite a departure from the F10.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Formula None

Here's a comparison I made with the other cars (F150 is 4th one down):

As you can see the F150 has the straightest shot to the top of the diffuser, no pullrod intersecting the sidepod-to-floor fillet. Flow issues to the beam wing were an issue last year with all the pushrod cars, which had big lumps of suspension components right in front of said beam wing. Ferrari seem to have resolved this by placing the pushrod pickups so far forward and hiding all the suspension components in the shadow of the engine. You can't get past the extra thickness needed on the pushrod though.

imightbewrong

Fire is a great way to show aerodynamical properties :wink:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/02/03/m ... g-testing/
Click for high-res

Note the fire out of the starter hole
It was an hot start for Felipe... His car had a small fire due to an oil leak so it will be necessary to work at length to repair it.
https://twitter.com/#!/InsideFerrari/st ... 9344732160
Last edited by imightbewrong on 03 Feb 2011, 11:53, edited 3 times in total.

Just_a_fan

It shows how powerful the upwards flow from the beam wing is. Lots of work has been done this year to maximise the performance of this element because it is so powerful in helping drive the diffuser.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Formula None

Ferrari really need to find a new adhesives supplier.

2011F1

Session was red-flagged while the F150 was recovered, and he is rejoined testing.

Last edited by mx_tifoso on 03 Feb 2011, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link

FW17

2011F1 wrote:Session was red-flagged while the F150 was recovered, and he is rejoined testing.

How is the fire coming from below the floor?

Crabbia

WilliamsF1 wrote:

How is the fire coming from below the floor?
i dont think its comming from the floor. i think the oil runs along the floor deck and just gets vapourised when it hits the diffuser upwash and thats what makes it look like its coming from the floor.

either that or there is something significantly more trick happening here than what we first thought. maybe a RB7 style covered exhaust that exits at the edge of the diffuser.

has anyone seen the exhaust exits while the car was on fire?

i havent.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

horse

imightbewrong wrote:Fire is a great way to show aerodynamical properties :wink:

Looks like it originates from above the floor here.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Flanker27

And Alonso said yesterday to press that he was delighted and impressed about car reliability (he told about the first run of 12 lap instead of usually 2-3 etc, and about the 0 problem suffered during his many laps)... does he bring bad luck?

http://www.repubblica.it/sport/formulau ... -11966966/