McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Shrieker

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Duh. So much for ground effect :lol: It'll still be interesting to see whatever they come up with though. As far as I can see, the desing target is again to get a better airflow to the rear of the car.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Richard
Richard

Shrieker wrote:If you turn the L pods upside down and then remove the bit of floor under it, you get...
- Higher CoG
- Blockage to the current clean air flow over the top
- A tunnel filled with turbulent air from the suspension and front wing.
- The "skirt" would be the same height as the current floor, and that hight is set to avoid ground effects (ie the 50mm step plane)
- The underfloor aero needs a flat floor as close as possible to the ground to generate a low pressure zone, a large volume tunnel would ruin that.
- Rule 3.12 requires the floor to be flat and lie on the reference & step planes.

So I'm not sure it would give any aero benefit, and it is also illegal.

shelly
shelly

This image
from the 150th thread shows the fornt upper side crash tubes detached form the sidepod and faired. Concept rumored for the 4-27 could be an evolution of this.

PS I agrre that it could be useful to create a more general thread on sidepod aero, maybe starting from what Gary Anderson (designer of that jordans whose picture have been frequently posted in this thread) has recently written on autosport
twitter: @armchair_aero

raymondu999

Sorry I don't see the crash tubes; mind pointing them out?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

shelly
shelly

Before the two santander logos on top fo the leading edges of the sidepods you can see two black slots and before them the two short crash structures.
These two seem a bit short though - I am not 100% sure

raymondu999

Eh? Those are the stalks on which the mirrors are mounted. And the "black spots" are the "chimneys" on the side pod's leading edge "lip"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

shelly
shelly

I am not referring to the mirrors. I think there is one of the four crash structures inside the sidepod lip.

matt21

Crash structure of the F150th.

FrukostScones wrote:Driven by pure speculation I have drawn my McLaren MP4-27 "Jump Jet"

Does anybody think it is possible to place the radiators horizontal behind the crash structure and shape the fairing as a wing? Would the heat rejection be enough then? Maybe to use also the heat from the radiators in order to achieve a higher pressure above the upper side of the "wing" or the floor respectively.

Richard
Richard

Do you mean flat plate heat exchangers? like the Brabham BT46? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabham_BT46

That'll not work, they struggle to cool the cars enough with all that air rushing through the conventional radiator grills. Conventional radiators have a much larger surface area for heat exchange.

shelly
shelly

matt21 posted a much better picture! Now you see what I mean, raymondu999?

raymondu999

Yup; you're saying that the crash tube/structure is in front of that hole on top, are you not?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

shelly
shelly

Exactly - I am not 100% because is a bit short; but also lrgp has a similar arrangement.

Now the possible approach for 4-27 could be an extremisation of this

raymondu999

Ah! Now I get what you're saying! (I think). You think MP4-27 will feature basically that oversized Botox-ed "lip" of the sidepod and extend it to a full aerofoil?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

matt21

richard_leeds wrote:Do you mean flat plate heat exchangers? like the Brabham BT46? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabham_BT46

That'll not work, they struggle to cool the cars enough with all that air rushing through the conventional radiator grills. Conventional radiators have a much larger surface area for heat exchange.
But you can use the whole length and maybe some cooling fins as ringo propsed for KERS in another thread.

raymondu999

You mean kind of like a computer server's heatsink "fins?" Kind of like this concept:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法