Jos Verstappen: "Schumacher used TC in 1994"

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
yener

Jos Verstappen: "Schumacher used TC in 1994"

THE LINK
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2725 ... erstappen/

Jos Verstappen told the media;
Michael definetly used something to help him brake later and going faster trough corners. It wasn't fair. I always braked as late as possible but i never managed to get close to him. We could not have the same car!
Thats not possible cause i always beat him while we went karting. He never beated me!

I'm not amazed that Schumachers comeback is a little dissapointing because I knew that he isn't that fast. Everybody saw him like som "GOD" but he isn't!

In 1994 i asked Flavio Briatore if Michael's car had something like TS or LS, he told me just not to start about it ever again. So at that moment it was clear for me.
I also drove in Michaels car but still did not managed to get close to his lap times. They probably shutted down the elektronical help.

Jos Verstappen is such a sad person to tell something like this. Sad en poor.
Last edited by yener on 08 Dec 2011, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Raptor22

Re: Jos Verstappen: "Schumacher used TC in 1994"

blah blah blah

Tyler

Does Jos honestly expect us to believe he was as quick or quicker than Michael?
Dream on Jos!

yener wrote:Jos Verstappen told the media;

I'm not amazed that Schumachers comeback is a little dissapointing because I knew that he isn't that fast. Everybody saw him like som "GOD" but he isn't!
No Jos but after Michael won the title not just in '94 but also in '95, 2000,2001,2002,2003 and 2004 (and almost certainly '99 if he hadn't had broken his leg), people couldn't help notice that he had something special.

In his early years at Ferrari it was the McLaren that had the superior technological tricks such as the extra brake pedal.
He didn't have the best car in those years but managed to extract more performance than what the car should have been capable of.

He had some awe inspiring drives - maybe anyone who doubts his skills should watch some old race footage to refresh their memory.
Why do some people insist on bashing a guy who achieved the truly remarkable feat of winning 7 world drivers championships.
Surely you don't win seven of them unless you have some serious skill?!
How many did you win again Jos?

Does anyone know if there's any truth to Jos' statement that he always beat Michael at karting?

I wonder how much Jos was paid for this interview?
Maybe he needed the money to finish paying off the old lawsuits for beating up his wife?

wesley123

I honestly doubt Jos and Schumacher even raced karts together.

Anyway jos has always been like this, but of course it isnt his fault his career failed. No of course it wasnt his lack of self control, to much self-confidence and an huuuuuge ego, no of course it is much more likely his team mates all cheated.

Maybe it is true, remember Senna said a similair thing, but Verstappen now is just way too late, it was goddamn 17 years ago, he is just picking on one of Formula 1s best drivers ever because his career failed miserably in any form of motorsport because he thinks he is worth that much more having achieved absolutely nothing.

Jos' career was simply ruined by his arrogance, huge ego and lack of self control. First formula 1, Paul gave him another chance in Minardi, for a seat Paul really needed money for he gave Jos a chance(ofc Jos paid a little but far less), Jos was disappointing, threw away Minardi's only chance of a win and after the season he thought he was too good for Paul Stoddard and his Minardi team. After that, he ran Le Mans with van Merkenstijn motorsport in a Porsche RS Spyder, they won the LMP2 class. After that I beleived van Merkenstijn decided to aim for WRC. Aston Martin did a test with Jos at Moza early '09 I beleive, he destroyed the car on that day in a crash and after that decided to ask way too much for a contract with them. This ruined his chance there and since then he had been a few times in the news because he has some anger management issues.

Also A lot of sponsors aren't very happy with him, Lost Boys boss Michiel Mol wasnt really happy with him, as well as Muermans Group, both being sponsors with him back then. After this there was another problem in '05 with Doornbos and Albers both at the same team. Doornbos wasn't really slower, and I believe most of the time quicker then Albers causing a conflict between both and also the sponsors, by then Muermans Group decided to sponsor Doornbos and Lost Boys Albers. Both in the end achieved nothing either(although I am still in the opinion Doornbos deserved a second chance).
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Giblet

That car was for sale not to long ago, and was advertised to include the traction control.

If the seller was selling it with TC, then it stands to ask why was a car built with TC when TC was not allowed?

I believe every word of it, but I agree the statute of limitations is long since gone past Mr Verstappen.
wesley123 wrote:I honestly doubt Jos and Schumacher even raced karts together.
Joe Sayward interview, May 1st 1996 wrote:
Q: You raced against Schumacher in go-karting didn't you? Was he as good then as he is now?

JV: "He was very good. He was European Champion in 1987 or 1988. The European Championship often said more than the World Championship because that was just one race. The European Championship was five races. Schumacher was never had the luck to World Champion and nor did I. Something always happened in the World Championship race: the engine failed or I made a mistake. I might have won it in 1991 but my engine blew up and Jarno Trulli [Recently signed as a Benetton driver] won it. I was European Champion in 1989, racing against people like Giancarlo Fisichella and Jan Magnussen. I raced gainst all these guys and it is good to see how the same people I drove with in go-karts and gradually coming into F1. My career got ahead of them for a while but now we are all coming back to the same level."
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Shrieker

There were rumuors and a further claim that the car was found to actually have tc some years later. And when asked about the subject Flavio B. said something to the effect of "the car had it but it wasn't used" if i'm not miskaten. The sad thing about all this is, if schumacher really was using tc back then, he was also using it in imola '94 too, indirectly contributing to Senna's death.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

chapmanlung

this is realy amazing.......jos faster than shumacher...and traction control leading to sennas death.....jesus, this is racing, this stuff happens, which team doesnt try and bend the rules? just face reality....and as much as i love senna....having traction control or not, that was destiny, and as they say,,IF is a big word

bhall

Shrieker wrote:The sad thing about all this is, if schumacher really was using tc back then, he was also using it in imola '94 too, indirectly contributing to Senna's death.
Danger, Will Robinson!

Giblet

No reason to get uppity, we are merely discussing him having TC that year which has a little more evidence than a conspiracy theory.

If you read what was said he never said he was faster, he said that MS was not that much faster, and the car made him way faster.

As for Senna's death, he had MS pushing him very hard on the restart, and its possible he should not have been able to push so hard if he had illegal TC.

Possible. Flavio's proven record of cheating on a grand scale makes it more likely the car had illegal TC.

We are just discussing things, not making wild accusations.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

markc

Ah, the infamous "option 13" The car was reported to have launch control accessible under option 13 from a start menu (as it were) of 10 options. The team were fined IIRC for failing to supply access to their systems in time. Also IIRC this ultimately led to a unified ECU.

sAx
sAx

yener wrote:Jos Verstappen told the media...
Nothing new really, Aryton worked it out with his ears and eyes standing on the inside of turn 1 at the Pacific GP Aida, after Hakkinen had punted him off! So 'Option 13' was not as redundant as Flavio would have liked the FIA to believe.

sAx
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

Jersey Tom

"z0MG he was hacking!!!1" - J. Verstappen
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Steven
Owner

All the time I have heard people talking of 1994 and 1995, always there has been a ring of electronic aids and illegal stuff on the Benettons that made them so difficult to beat. I have heard this both from people outside the sport (hence through reading) as well as from a Renault engineer a few years ago.

Benetton were playing around with tricks all the way through those years and were successful at that. You can doubt it, but I don't.

It is also no secret that Ayrton Senna was convinced the Benetton has electronic driver aids when seeing Schumacher in action after having been taken out himself at Aida.

Also, whatever you think of Verstappen, he was widely regarded as a talented karting driver.

bhall

It's only illegal if you get caught.

yener

"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC