cossie wrote:the pack racing, wheel to wheel racing on high banked ovals and an unsafe chassis were the factors in this, the league for years dodged the bulletts in spades, up to las Vegas, even Robin Miller says the report was BS
I'm glad that someone speaks about the thread issue and I hope that we can somehow come to some common point of view what reasonable consequences should be.
I do not buy the theory that the combination of the track and the setup of the cars by some mystery deleted the usual racing grooves. That sounds like a counter argument to the main criticism that was already levelled at the race organizers before the race. The short oval was very crowded and the "Challenge" would lead to a fast driver having to do many passes.
We know many facts that are confirmed by the report. The track was so crowded in front of Wheldon's car that he could not find a way through the wreckage without his wheels touching car bodies or wheels of other cars. He got off the throttle twice and braked but there simply was no escape path for him. I do not think that he did anything wrong. As a result of having nowhere to go his car got airborne by contact with other cars.
We should accept that every open wheel car can become airborne in contact with other race cars and that airborne cars can take any attitude in flight including upside down or sideways. It is just a result of coincidental forces how they eventually impact with the wall, the fence or other cars.
This leads me to five questions:
1. Can something be done within reason to reduce the crowding and give breaking drivers who are not directly involved in an accident more escape space?
2. Can the take off effect of the chassis be fundamentally reduced when there are forces applied by the open wheels.
3. Can the design of the wall and fences be improved in order to reduce the forces applied to cars that impact on them?
4. Can the construction of the cars be improved so that the primary head protection (roll hoop) would not fail in a similar accident.
5. Is it necessary to drop the speed or reduce the banking to avoid similar accidents?
I suggest that we get some opinions to those questions.