Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

strad wrote:
The drivers are more reclined in the new Ferrari
I can't help but wonder if this will adversely affect the drivers.
WAYYyyyyyyyyyyy back in the 60s they started reclining the drivers and the scientific types found that when you recline the driver too far his sense of speed and balance into the corners was adversely affected and that is why they returned them while still somewhat reclined, to a more upright position . :?: :?:
The more you lay them down, the harder it is to keep that head upright.
Ferrari seating was very upright last year, this year more reclined may mean more normal.
For Sure!!

ringo

jordangp wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:Image

Side impact zones are for pussies...

Tim
This picture was posted on the AutoSport forums by Kosmos, not Enrique(TruZoneF1). I believe the aim of the picture was to give a more clear example of the winglets, nothing more nothing less hence the lack of exhaust, pull rod, 2011 nose, etc etc.
However it is still not even correct in showing that. The winglets and sidepods are too far back in relation to the 2011 picture.
It wont look like this.
All that gap between winglet and sidepod wont be present. Bodywork has to be there.
I'd more expect the winglets to be almost touching the sidepods.

Anyhow i dont think ferrari have an ace in the hole really. They don't have any big shot designers. Byrne is an old head, he's probably run out of creative juice.

The only thing interesting is that the car is said to be ugly. Which may equate to unusual.
For Sure!!

beelsebob

ringo wrote:I'd more expect the winglets to be almost touching the sidepods.
How would that work? Wouldn't the air be forced through a small gap, and hence generate quite a high pressure area in front of the gap, just where you want low pressure beneath the wing?

ringo

Exactly and that's why i dont expect anything like what is being reported.
Only a U pod will make winglets work. Though the pod is inline from the top view, it is separated from the front becuase of the U shape.
For Sure!!

Crucial_Xtreme

shelly

You need a small flap for them to act as flaps
twitter: @armchair_aero

raymondu999

What would the purpose of the winglets be? Flow conditioners? Wouldn't the flow then get disturbed over the sidepod before it reaches the rear wings anyway? Or would it condition flow over the sidepod?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

shelly

My take: look at the f150 and extremize it for the upper structure; think of a leading edge flap to the floor for the lower structure.

For he upper one I think the curvature will be opposite to we saw on toyota in 2005 and jordan in 2004: form the side it would look like a lifting section. Aim: increase pressure in the rad inlet and shift forward (less lift, less drag) the suction peak on top of the sidepod.
twitter: @armchair_aero

raymondu999

Interesting. Basically as you've increased the mass flow into the side pods they could afford to be a little smaller, no? Then you could have better airflow to the back
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

thatnoone

is this any good?

aral

thatnoone wrote: is this any good?
This has already been referred to and shown to be completely irrelevant, as the canards on an aircraft are there for a completely different reason.

wesley123

I doubt the floor is legal, I thought it had to be one continuous surface? it is clearly broken up there.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

beelsebob

wesley123 wrote:I doubt the floor is legal, I thought it had to be one continuous surface? it is clearly broken up there.
It's legal as long as you can't see any body work through it.

Saribro

wesley123 wrote:I doubt the floor is legal, I thought it had to be one continuous surface? it is clearly broken up there.
Up untill a certain distance ahead of the rear face of the cockpit entry, or some such.
I believe Scarbs mentioned the exact loophole somewere.

Coefficient

ringo wrote:
strad wrote:
The drivers are more reclined in the new Ferrari
I can't help but wonder if this will adversely affect the drivers.
WAYYyyyyyyyyyyy back in the 60s they started reclining the drivers and the scientific types found that when you recline the driver too far his sense of speed and balance into the corners was adversely affected and that is why they returned them while still somewhat reclined, to a more upright position . :?: :?:
The more you lay them down, the harder it is to keep that head upright.
Ferrari seating was very upright last year, this year more reclined may mean more normal.

Yes, I think there is something in this. I've heard that when the driver is too reclined the top of their cheeks comes into view as the helmet begins to rest on their collar bones/upper chest and pushes the skin of the face upwards. The cheeks then vibrate in the line of sight when at speed which disrupts the drivers ability to assess visual infomation accurately.

I can confirm some personal experience of this too from driving a Formula Palmer Audi. The thing had no seat fitted so the mechanics had to build up some padding using pieces of foam. I ended up far to laid back on the first run and had to pull in to the pits for adjustments. My cheeks were shaking so much that they were shaking the fluid out of my eyes and I'm skinny a lad. 6ft and 30 in waiste. Not like I had big flappy cheeks.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".