Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Ferrari F2012

F1 is really a circus. first an alligator, now a flying squirrel. :lol:

I think it's beautiful by the way.
Love everything behind the nose cone.
Other than looks the nose is pretty thin and high. The wing pylons are also nozzled in the top view to accelerate flow under the nose and lower pressure.
For Sure!!

italian
italian

F2012 & F150: http://bit.ly/xkBIIr
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

beelsebob
beelsebob

italian wrote:F2012 & F150: http://bit.ly/xkBIIr
Interesting... That seems to reveal that the side pods are significantly less tight than last year's

Joie de vivre

i dunno, it doesn't seem like right angle, i doubt that f2012 is that longer

beelsebob
beelsebob

Joie de vivre wrote:
i dunno, it doesn't seem like right angle, i doubt that f2012 is that longer
Huh? This is probably the most closely matched shot I've ever seen – the rear wheel doesn't seem to move at all when you scroll over it.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Im sorry, but Ferarris F2012 chassis 292 is the ugliest F1 car since 1996 when their 1996 car was largly ugly. That was the only car that year with a low nose from launch, so much so that Ferartri changed it mid season to a high one.

McLaren have the prettiest car so far with Force India just behind for me, then Caterham.

I just wonder what Red Bull have, and all the rest for that matter.

Ferarri could have gone back to the F10 consept and updated it and im sure it would have been miles more pretty.

When i saw the F2012 at first i almost spat my guts up.

Afterburner

Very different angles and awful comparison, the height of the car are not that different, the rear left wheels also don't are even close to each other and the front wheels are wrong size also.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

raymondu999 wrote:
KevinR34 wrote:McLaren have fixed the exhaust in the lowest most rearwards position possible, the tail pipe then pointing steeply upwards and inwards. From the limited view it would appear to direct the exhaust plume towards the outer span of the rear wing.
Thanks. We've all read Scarbs' piece. Welcome by the way.
From the image he's attached I think he's suggesting that Scarbs is incorrect, since Ferrari has the exhausts mounted even further back...

munudeges
munudeges

I must confess I don't see the reason for the front pull-rod suspension.

dren

The curved shape of the diffuser at the ends leads me to believe it will have the gurney flaps with slots like Red Bull and others had last year.
Honda!

Blackout

Another particularity: rear suspension mechanisms seem to be placed at the rear of the gear box not the front. Look at the pull rods.

And it's amazing how they managed to place pullrods on the front in spite of the very high monocoque

Rear body work reminds me of the early R29 when its conceptors didn't opt for a tight bodywork but enlarged the latter in order to channel hot air in a precise zone...

Raptor22
Raptor22

The pull Rods work I guess because the suspension does'nt travel very far. With a stiff front end and and soft rear thats been the rage I guess they feel they don't have to worry too much about perfect suspension geometry.
Its a mistake I fear. Good suspension is good suspension and you can;t overcome a poor one with good aerodynamics
Just my opinion

dren

Raptor22 wrote:The pull Rods work I guess because the suspension does'nt travel very far. With a stiff front end and and soft rear thats been the rage I guess they feel they don't have to worry too much about perfect suspension geometry.
Its a mistake I fear. Good suspension is good suspension and you can;t overcome a poor one with good aerodynamics
Just my opinion
I don't see the aero benefit from a pullrod front though.
Honda!

nacho
nacho

Is that a pull rod front suspension?

King Six
King Six

Yes it's front pull rod. Even from Scarbs, it seems the consensus so far is that front pull rod wasn't such a good idea. But that's just first impressions, they must have put a huge amount of work into that decision for people to just dismiss it upon first sight... :?