Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hush

Re: Ferrari F2012

hardingfv32 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:This was my understanding as well. Not sure if they would actually want to run two different designs, but it sounded legal if they so chose.
... that they are stuck with one design/configuration for the complete season? No development of the chassis once the races start.

Rear F duct: Everyone would have copied McLaren's ideal design if they could have. They needed a hole in the chassis that they could not install without changing the chassis.

Brian
The chassis homologation regulaations have changed as of 2012. A new/different chassis can be used in season provided it passes the crash test.

Scarbs knows more about this but you are not stuck with the chassis you start the season with any longer.

ledzep4pm

The restrictions on changing the chassis have been removed this year i believe. A change is allowed but it must be crash tested and homologated (yes it's wrong I'm dyslexic) by the fia
Twitter @ledzep4pm

Crucial_Xtreme

Hush wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:This was my understanding as well. Not sure if they would actually want to run two different designs, but it sounded legal if they so chose.
... that they are stuck with one design/configuration for the complete season? No development of the chassis once the races start.

Rear F duct: Everyone would have copied McLaren's ideal design if they could have. They needed a hole in the chassis that they could not install without changing the chassis.

Brian
The chassis homologation regulaations have changed as of 2012. A new/different chassis can be used in season provided it passes the crash test.

Scarbs knows more about this but you are not stuck with the chassis you start the season with any longer.
Yes I'm pretty sure the rules were changes so long as it passes crash test.

hardingfv32

Hush wrote:The chassis homologation regulaations have changed as of 2012. A new/different chassis can be used in season provided it passes the crash test.
That sounds like something that would have caused an uproar with the small teams. What could possible be the logic behind such a change?

Brian

Schulteiss

hardingfv32 wrote:
Hush wrote:The chassis homologation regulaations have changed as of 2012. A new/different chassis can be used in season provided it passes the crash test.
That sounds like something that would have caused an uproar with the small teams. What could possible be the logic behind such a change?

Brian
Elaborate please. How does that affect the smaller teams negatively?? The possibility of re-homologation is a fact, don't know why it's so hard to believe. It is a perfectly desirable situation for the whole grid.

hardingfv32

Schulteiss wrote:Elaborate please.
Does this not expand the number of options the teams have when it comes to making improvements? Now I realize this is a two edge sword and could save a team that has chosen the wrong path, but the fact is the the large teams are the only ones that have the resources to make this option viable.

Brian

Schulteiss

hardingfv32 wrote:
Does this not expand the number of options the teams have when it comes to making improvements? Now I realize this is a two edge sword and could save a team that has chosen the wrong path, but the fact is the the large teams are the only ones that have the resources to make this option viable.

Brian
Maybe you could be right in the case of HRT and Marussia, but the majority of the grid should have and even deserve the opportunity to correct a design flaw, which in most cases would not even be so expensive, IMHO.

tok-tokkie

I am surprised they are allowed to change their chassis during the season.
To me homologation means 'this is the chassis I am going to use this season'. So if they are allowed to change then I would expect that the new one replaces the old & that is all you can use NOT 2 different chassis = Monaco & Monza ones. Who was it whose fuel tank was too small - Virgin? They were permitted to change that after the deadline.

Schulteiss

Just to clear things up, I am not implying that Ferrari has a design flaw and should introduce a "B" spec chassis. New crash tests would mean basically re-designing a the car, I don't think at this early stage anything could indicate to that.

PlatinumZealot

Ferrari had a B-spec chassis in 2009 with Kimi and Massa. It was an upgrade For Monaco with a lighter layup.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

ajdavison2

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2012/0/932.html Nose tip is actually higher than the f150 :shock:

alogoc

what could they do whit the blowing must be something to do whit the overrun, people on the track in Jerez did say something like Renault still sounds different

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 21714.html
Last edited by alogoc on 17 Feb 2012, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Hush

hardingfv32 wrote:

Brian
I was against the chassis homologation from the off. Too many things are homologated as it is and denying a team the necessary improvements purely for sake of the smaller teams doesn't sit well with me.

The chassis homologation was Mosley's mess and I'm glad it's gone. Now Formula 1 just needs to rid itself of this silly RRA which is not even sanctioned by the FIA and we're good to go.

F1.Ru

Crabbia wrote:the F2012 has more sensors and cameras and measuring doohikies on it than i have ever seen on a ferrari at any one time. the constant speed runs are intriguing to me as if ferrari did them last year i didnt notice it.
:lol: Ferrari indeed does a lot of constant speed runs in previous years...... even in some of the races...... [due to the correlation problem with their windtunnel problem]. But the real difference is now they r trying to understand the effect of different parts and their behavior .............. :mrgreen:
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

NoDivergence

How is the RRA silly? Almost every F1 team disagrees with you