Rubens Barrichelllo going to Indycar?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
countersteer

Re: Rubens Barrichelllo going to Indycar?

WhiteBlue wrote: AFAIK you can't just do the road circuit races and pass on the ovals.
Given the current state of Indycar, part time entries are not unheard of. Ed Carpenter driving for Sarah Fisher Racing comes to mind but they ONLY did ovals and no street/road courses.

Part time sponsorship packages are becoming more the rule than the norm for teams outside of the Big Three (Penske, Ganassi, Andretti). Although, given the exposure, the Indy 500 is the foundation for most sponsors making a street/road course sponsorship package problematic. Rubens/KV Racing could do it although it may be difficult.

I can't blame Rubens (or his wife) for not wanting to drive the ovals. They're death traps IMHO... spectacular yes, but we've killed and maimed too many.

I hope Rubens can work it out. We'd LOVE to have him in Indycar !!!

strad

They're death traps IMHO... spectacular yes, but we've killed and maimed too many.
:roll: :roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

cossie

i have to say Dallara's safety record in Indy car IRL isn't to ho and i agree with Eddie Jordan. Eddie Jordan sums it up "I love Rubens -- our story began when he was only 19," the Irishman is quoted by Globo. "I love his family, his parents, and I think he should retire with dignity."

strad

Barrichello, who recorded 94 laps over the day and a half of track time, had a quick lap of 1 minute, 17.88 seconds on the 12-turn, 2.303-mile road course.
About one second off the top times
He's turning respectable if not top of the chart times, but that might be expected on a road course, the test will come when they go to an oval.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hpras

According to Robin Miller, he's in....

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... ar-series/

bhall

Yep. It's confirmed.

Here's a look at Barrichello going around Infineon Raceway.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uLRNI_TCcQ&hd=1[/youtube]

And a look at the "car" he'll be driving.

At the very least, I have someone for whom to cheer when I find myself watching an IRL race (or, much more likely, a replay of one at 3 AM).

flynfrog

JPM Rubens Nascar team in a few years?

Also who ever picked the colors for that car needs to take a color blindness test

scuderiafan

A top racing driver is dropped by Williams, and begins new open-wheel racing career in the United States. Sound familiar? I'll give you a hint, il leone
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

FW17

Planning to watch indy series this year, just because of a couple of familier names; RB and SB.

I think some of the circuits are good, wish they did not have the street and air port circuits.

Any live feeds?

Also heard that the twin turbo engine really seperates the men from the boys, with lap times 2 - 3 seconds different just because of the turbo. Wonder how RB will do as i think this will be the first time driving a turbo top level (or close) open wheel car.

Scythe

This is good news. I've already purchased tickets for the Long Beach Grand Prix, so I'm excited to see RB is going to be racing. :D :D

designerx

I tihnk quite a few people will be swithing their attention to Indycar this season thanks to Rubens' involvement. I watched a few season's back but sort of drifted off again.

I hope to catch the races myself what with Alesi attempting the 500 also, and would not be at all surpised to see Rubens challenge for the title.
"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna.

Pierce89

WilliamsF1 wrote:Planning to watch indy series this year, just because of a couple of familier names; RB and SB.

I think some of the circuits are good, wish they did not have the street and air port circuits.

Any live feeds?

Also heard that the twin turbo engine really seperates the men from the boys, with lap times 2 - 3 seconds different just because of the turbo. Wonder how RB will do as i think this will be the first time driving a turbo top level (or close) open wheel car.
If you want to see a difficult track where the drivers have to work,(but unfortunately bad for overtaking) then watch Barber Motorsports Park. Every corner goes up or down. Nothing flat.

It's even a hard track in a NASA spec 3-series(basically the easiest to drive race car ever) oh and for those who don't know NASA is an amateur racing sanctioning body. I'm not an astronaut.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

FW17

Rubens Barrichelllo was a pretty good F1 driver but why is he so bad in IRL. Half the season has gone by and still to even step on the podium. The same goes for sebastien bourdais who was a 4 time series winner of CART

Are KV racing bad or was nigel mansell and juan pablo montoya exceptionally talented drivers in a different class to Rubens Barrichelllo ?

PNSD

Sebastian has shown his talent more than a few times so far this season. As has Rubens.

Looking at the results straight off suggests otherwise, but his races have been OK. The field is also mega close this year too, that doesn't help with a car he is relatively new to, plus tracks.