Oxford Brookes University: Motorsport Chassis Dynamics

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Th0R

Re: Oxford Brookes University: Motorsport Chassis Dynamics

hi, i didn't want to start a new topic for this, so i use this thread.
First of all i would like to study a motorsport related course in the uk. I'm very interessted in aerodynamics. I have studied Computational Engineering Science (Bachelor of Science) and i am going to continue my studies till i have a Master degree in this. Now i started looking at the offered postgraduate programs in the Uk. There are three courses i'm interessted in. Motorsport Engineering - Brookes University Oxford, Motorsport Engineering and Management - Cranfield and Race Car Aerodynamics - South Hampton. Here, onnly Cranfield and Brookes have been discussed, that's why i'm not sure about the reputation of South Hampton. Can anyone here tell me something about that?

The secons question i have is, how hard is it to get accepted at these universities. I guess there are a lot of guys who want to study motorsport engineering.

MadMatt

I can only help on the second question. It depends on your education, this is the most important thing. If you meet the requirements both on the educational side and the language side, then you have chances ! Try to get an interview with people at the Unis and see which one is better for you, what they have to offer and then its up to them to decide.

I couldn't decide where to go but the tuition fees solved this issue. Hope it helps !

obradorista

MadMatt wrote:I can only help on the second question. It depends on your education, this is the most important thing. If you meet the requirements both on the educational side and the language side, then you have chances ! Try to get an interview with people at the Unis and see which one is better for you, what they have to offer and then its up to them to decide.

I couldn't decide where to go but the tuition fees solved this issue. Hope it helps !
Hi!

I am actually very interested in the Msc in Racing Engine Design, but I don't know if I am qualified for it.

Being and international student (I assume that you are too), my grades don't compare very easily with the ones they requiere. I don't know if my 6.5/10 (which is above average here in Spain) academic record is enough for the 2:2 british stardard.

So my questions are, is there many people left out of these courses? How many do they get in? I have any chances?

Thank you.

Greg Locock

Th0R wrote:hi, i didn't want to start a new topic for this, so i use this thread.
that's why i'm not sure about the reputation of South Hampton. Can anyone here tell me something about that?
Of the three unis you mention Southampton is easily the highest profile for undergraduate degrees in engineering, it is probably in the top 10 in the country. Its undergraduate aero course is top 3.

For masters in engineering Cranfield and S'hampton have good reps, I don't know much about Oxford-Brookes. Both Cranfield and OB seem very pushy with marketing their courses.
Last edited by Greg Locock on 26 Sep 2012, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.

MadMatt

obradorista wrote:
MadMatt wrote:I can only help on the second question. It depends on your education, this is the most important thing. If you meet the requirements both on the educational side and the language side, then you have chances ! Try to get an interview with people at the Unis and see which one is better for you, what they have to offer and then its up to them to decide.

Hi!

I am actually very interested in the Msc in Racing Engine Design, but I don't know if I am qualified for it.

Being and international student (I assume that you are too), my grades don't compare very easily with the ones they requiere. I don't know if my 6.5/10 (which is above average here in Spain) academic record is enough for the 2:2 british stardard.

So my questions are, is there many people left out of these courses? How many do they get in? I have any chances?

Thank you.
Hello !

The best would be to directly contact them you know. I have NO IDEA if you have a chance as I'm only a student and therefor not able to access all their requirements measures. But there are not many students in Racing Engine Design this year in my Uni.

:)

obradorista

MadMatt wrote:
obradorista wrote:

Hi!

Thank you.
Hello !

The best would be to directly contact them you know. I have NO IDEA if you have a chance as I'm only a student and therefor not able to access all their requirements measures. But there are not many students in Racing Engine Design this year in my Uni.

:)
Thank you mate.

Dec
Dec

Hi all, I didnt want to start a new thread over this,just wondering if any new students going to oxford Brookes or Cranfield can comment on their experiences in either university since the last time this discussion took place with regard to the Racing Engine Design course in Oxford Brookes or the Advanced Motorsport Engineering course in Cranfield. Ive just 3 semesters left until ill be making the application to one or both of the masters programs in either university. I intend on going over this summer to view both Universities and meet up with course coordinators and maybe meet some of the students from the courses.
Originally I was set on the MSc in racing engine design in Oxford Brookes obviously because it's academic progression in what I worked at previously and want to pursue as a career. But Cranfields MSc in what is now called advanced motorsport engineering is turning my head, has anyone taken the course or know anyone who has done it?, my only worry about it is that although you can specialize your thesis in say an engine related topic you only have one module on anything related to power units, whereas in the MSc in Brookes the whole course is orientated towards engine design. Although I did read a pretty bad review of the Oxford MSc in a course review site last week and it left alot to be desired.