Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
silversurf3r

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Forza wrote:Wiring is there because they are running pitot tube sensors behind the diffuser.
How does the wiring relate to pitot tubes behind the diffuser? Why would the wiring need to run up the endplate so high?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

They run pressure sensors on the plane of the rear wing. Same as the floor.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

silversurf3r

Owen.C93 wrote:They run pressure sensors on the plane of the rear wing. Same as the floor.
Ah, i see. Maybe be some wishful thinking on my part (hoping for a DDRS implementation). I do think the endplate appears thicker than usual, but this could be a light/reflection thing.

gray41

Anyone think this area looks thicker, where a tube could maybe end?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

McMrocks
McMrocks

they made aero tests at the rear and measure the distance to the ground (i think) at FW. so do they have a new floor which can be runned with more rake?

horse

Anyone got any ideas as to how the instruments on the front wing work?

I think I count 5 sensors. Is the bulge for data acquisition?

EDIT: In fact there might be 7 sensors. 2 forward centre, 1 rear centre and then 2 front and rear on each of the endplates.

EDIT2: No, 8 sensors. There is one on the pillar too.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Most are just height sensors, as for how they work I think they're just laser measuring devices. What's odd is that the front wing is from early pre-season before they updated it at the final test. Seems strange to run such an old wing.
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 02 May 2012, 16:13, edited 2 times in total.

scarbs
scarbs

They are testign the wing deflection. We've seen the Mac wing pylons allow the entire front wing to twist at speed, as well as the outer span of the wing deflect relative to the centre section. Thus the sensors are measuring ride height of the nose tip as a datum. then comparign it to the front and rear of the centre of the wing and the endplate.

PlatinumZealot

What about DDRS? looks sorta fishy the number of sensors.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

horse

Thanks for the explanations about the sensor rig.
Owen.C93 wrote:What's odd is that the front wing is from early pre-season before they updated it at the final test. Seems strange to run such an old wing.
Perhaps it's because they've had to put so many holes in the wing to fit the sensor rig that they didn't want to mess up their latest version. The sensors probably corrupt the airflow so a small aerodynamic diasadvantage might not matter. I guess they are testing the construction which is likely similar between the wings.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

zyphro
zyphro

n smikle wrote:What about DDRS? looks sorta fishy the number of sensors.
Doubtful; how do they intend to get a DDRS solution for that car? (Think about the tubing).

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm an amateur :) .

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

horse wrote:Thanks for the explanations about the sensor rig.
Owen.C93 wrote:What's odd is that the front wing is from early pre-season before they updated it at the final test. Seems strange to run such an old wing.
Perhaps it's because they've had to put so many holes in the wing to fit the sensor rig that they didn't want to mess up their latest version. The sensors probably corrupt the airflow so a small aerodynamic diasadvantage might not matter. I guess they are testing the construction which is likely similar between the wings.
Good spot, looking at other shots they used the updated wing without the new cascades for normal running.

PlatinumZealot

zyphro wrote:
n smikle wrote:What about DDRS? looks sorta fishy the number of sensors.
Doubtful; how do they intend to get a DDRS solution for that car? (Think about the tubing).

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm an amateur :) .
You are right.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Coefficient
Coefficient

Owen.C93 wrote:
horse wrote:Thanks for the explanations about the sensor rig.
Good spot, looking at other shots they used the updated wing without the new cascades for normal running.
Maybe they don't want the test drivers wiping the new wings off in an accident due to being rusty?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Gridlock

No sign of any decent inlets forward of the cockpit either, contrary to the bulkhead double scoop on the W03 that only seems to appear at race weekends. So if AMG are running a switched FW stalling system, McLaren aren't copying them here.

The nosecone-mounted sideways-pointed sensor seems big enough to be a high frame rate or at least hi res camera, which would be an interesting video to watch..