Horner and Boullier call for in season testing rethink

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Gerhard Berger

Re: Horner and Boullier call for in season testing rethink

RAF wrote:I can see the teams point. Set-up work for this track will be redundant as they are not racing there. You have to factor in the cost of the logistics and the mileage, parts, wear, etc. I agree with Horner (as much as I dislike him) that you might as well just have another GP.
They tested at Jerez, another track which they do not race at, this year, and they also tested at Valencia last year (again, another track they do not race at). Without this test at Mugello, they would have had another 3 day test somewhere else before Melbourne, so i don't really buy the excuse regarding cost of logistics, mileage, parts etc. At least with Mugello they did not have to pay any track fees.

Lycoming

Re: Horner and Boullier call for in season testing rethink

bhallg2k wrote:I've seen that said about Mugello quite a few times this week, and I don't quite understand. If the testing venue is that important, why do teams carry out straight-line tests when F1 is far from a series of drag races?
Straight line testing is a sort of "real world" wind tunnel in the sense that its a much more carefully controlled environment than a test like this.