Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: Ferrari F2012

I think that the development of exhausts in 2012 is still beneficial, but as much as other areas of development.....So teams can concentrate on different areas but still achieve the same lap-times...red bull has been obsessed wit exhausts in 2012...but lotus hasn't....yet in bahrain they were about equal in performance...

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

bhallg2k wrote:Image

I think teams would love such an "aero-neutral" exhaust configuration these days.

(They blew the rear wing with ease.)
I thought the main benefit of this configuration was the shorter exhaust pipes?

Gridlock

Gerhard Berger wrote:
I thought the main benefit of this configuration was the shorter exhaust pipes?
Yep...

bhall
bhall

The rationale was two fold: improved cooling and aerodynamics. Either way, it was far from aero-neutral, and that's the point I was trying to get across.

Chuckjr

What day this week do the cars arrive in Barcelona?
Watching F1 since 1986.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Chuckjr wrote:What day this week do the cars arrive in Barcelona?
They will probably arrive tomorrow or Tuesday. Although I'm sure the latest Ferrari parts won't arrive until Thursday evening or Friday morning.

Nando
Nando

ok thanks guys,

so T3-9-16.
Interesting how he disregards Mclaren and Red Bull, the latter which has been well known to have the most downforce for years now.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Chuckjr

elFranZ wrote:Guys, I don't want to downplay anyone's enthusiasm, but just wanted to remember that Gene is the same guy talking about "sauber fashioned" exhausts few days before Mugello tests. I strongly hope to be wrong.
Curious, he's referring to the only other (known) team developing reactive suspensions.
I thought the reactive suspension was RIP. Where is the evidence that Ferrari is indeed working on this?
Watching F1 since 1986.

elFranZ

Chuckjr wrote:
elFranZ wrote:Guys, I don't want to downplay anyone's enthusiasm, but just wanted to remember that Gene is the same guy talking about "sauber fashioned" exhausts few days before Mugello tests. I strongly hope to be wrong.
Curious, he's referring to the only other (known) team developing reactive suspensions.
I thought the reactive suspension was RIP. Where is the evidence that Ferrari is indeed working on this?
Sorry, I meant they developed the thing, not that they're still working on it.
Like F2012, my English still has some areas to improve :)

amouzouris

as before with the exhaust configurations Ferrari has tried up to now...i made drawings of the upgrades Ferrari brought to Mugello...

First is the turning vanes under the nose ala Red Bull that Massa tried on the 2nd day:

Original turning vanes:

Turning vanes tested in Mugello ala Red Bull:

Then its the very upgraded rear end of the Ferrari...

starting off with the upgraded rear wing extension that help direct the flow out of the diffuser...
these are the original ones:

and these are the upgraded ones which now feature many more slots to improve the extraction of air:

another big difference is the upgraded beam wing...
original beam wing with monkey seat:

this is the upgraded beam wing which is now detached and the monkey seat is gone...the detached beam wing also works better with the new exhaust (see a few pages back where i posted the exhaust drawings viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11778&start=4035)

also the profile of the rear wing has changed and the slots on the end plate for the reduction of vortices...they are now many more slots..

original:

upgraded:

in addition there were new brake ducts and brake duct fins with the upgraded ones featuring a much more sculpted shape...

original:

upgraded:

an upgraded floor was also tested on the 1st day when Alonso was testing the new exhaust with the coanda 'tongue'...
the new floor features 2 turning vanes to direct the flow of the exhaust:

xpensive
xpensive

Great stuff, but tell me amorous Z, what software do you use for thse images?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

donskar
donskar

Great work amouzouris -- thank you.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

amouzouris

xpensive wrote:Great stuff, but tell me amorous Z, what software do you use for thse images?
i use photoshop!! if you wanna know how i do it inbox me X...but im warning u...its a pain in the ass!

amouzouris

donskar wrote:Great work amouzouris -- thank you.
thank U!

Forza Ferrari
Forza Ferrari

WOW!! :shock: =D>

thanks for that mate, really amazing work! It makes things much simplier! very well done!!

Feel free to do many more ^^ really appreciate it :)

better pics like that than pages of bla bla :lol: