Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.

Post Mon May 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Huntresa wrote:
silversurf3r wrote:
Giando wrote:New nose cone for McLaren secretly tested at Mugello.

Wow! Did not see this coming. I thought the car was built around the aero philosophy of the lower nose? How do you guys see this effecting performance? There must be fairly significant benefits to make such a big change. This is definitely the best compromise solution I have seen on any of this years noses. (superficially at least)

Its still pretty low. Also is it shadows or does it go down then up ?

Ye it's definitely not as high as the likes of Ferrari but its a shift in their philosophy I think. Does appear to dip and rise again to me. Im no aerodynamicist so I don't know what the pros and cons of this would be. ...?
silversurf3r

Post Mon May 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Seems to be like if you take your hand and put your 4 fingers together and then thumb under, the ange under going up rly looks like the thumb under the 4 fingers. Weird thing but it just came to me :P
Huntresa

Post Mon May 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Reading the Autosprint article again it says the nose may be used only for certain circuits!?
silversurf3r

Post Mon May 07, 2012 1:25 pm

silversurf3r wrote:Reading the Autosprint article again it says the nose may be used only for certain circuits!?

Cant see how that would work, i mean i hardly think the nose would be such a benefit either more or less downforce then tweaking something else, or am i wrong?

What we need is better pictures! Where is crucial when you need him???
Huntresa

Post Mon May 07, 2012 1:27 pm

maybe they need it for their ddrs
picture comparison: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 07992.html
"Double points is Tyranny!"
FrukostScones

Post Mon May 07, 2012 1:29 pm

Huntresa wrote:
silversurf3r wrote:Reading the Autosprint article again it says the nose may be used only for certain circuits!?

Cant see how that would work, i mean i hardly think the nose would be such a benefit either more or less downforce then tweaking something else, or am i wrong?

What we need is better pictures! Where is crucial when you need him???

I can't be bothered to look through all the picture right now, but here's 3 that were posted on Autosport forums.

I wonder if this will allow the return of the snow plough.
Last edited by Owen.C93 on Mon May 07, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owen.C93

Post Mon May 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Wouldnt a snowplough fit nicely under that now ? AS in better then before seeing the huge gap they gained there, its like twice a big now .
Huntresa

Post Mon May 07, 2012 1:45 pm

They removed the snowplough because they didn't need the downforce it produced, not because it didn't fit.
"Unbelievable how silly this Formula 1 is these days, with this stupid overtakes."
—Sebastian Vettel, 2012 US GP
Diesel

Post Mon May 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Diesel wrote:They removed the snowplough because they didn't need the downforce it produced, not because it didn't fit.

No, they removed the snowplough because it impeded airflow under the nose and hence to the rear of the car. The higher nose is presumably for the exact same reason. Looks like Gary Anderson was right after all.
beelsebob

Post Mon May 07, 2012 2:25 pm

Diesel wrote:They removed the snowplough because they didn't need the downforce it produced, not because it didn't fit.

Didnt mean it didnt fit, lol, i just meant it didnt work with their concept but it might work now.
Huntresa

Post Mon May 07, 2012 2:46 pm

Might be that the diffuser has been developed enough that it can handle more air, hence they are trying to better feed the splitter.
Paul

Post Mon May 07, 2012 2:52 pm

Would it be worth putting the plough on for Monaco?
Lewis Hamilton #44
2xWDC
gray41

Post Mon May 07, 2012 2:54 pm

The issue with the plough is, with undernose real estate little as it is, it robs the diffuser of air for rear df, while increasing the front, prompting a balance shift.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999

Post Mon May 07, 2012 2:56 pm

The different nose cones maybe deployed depending on the characteristics of the circuits. The high nose for lower speed circuit and the lower nose for the faster circuits.
wunderkind

Post Mon May 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Exactly, it's a downforce balance that they seek, remove a shedload of EBD-sourced rear DF and you don't need to be as brutal at the front. That's what they'd have found at the pre-seasons. It wouldn't surprise me to see the snowplough get a final curtain call on the streets of the principality but otherwise it seems surplus to requirements this year.

IMO the newly-tested nose would logically be an evolution of the plough, adopting some of its more desirable conditioning characteristics into bodywork shape while losing the DF generation.

Of course, they're the ones with 40 Teraflops.
Gridlock

PreviousNext

Return to F1 Car Hardware & Development