Most effective way to warm tires!

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
adam2003
adam2003

Re: Most effective way to warm tires!

raymondu999 wrote:
adam2003 wrote:heated blankets are the most effective way as they dont take life out of the tires unlike when they do the warm up lap
Do they? I'm not a tyre person but to my understanding, any heat energy into the tyre (which JT calls, to memory, "heat history"), including the energy from the warmers - would have some degrading effect on the tyre.
You saying 1 heat cycle will start to change the atoms in the construction of the Tyre? maybe it does maybe not. I know more than 1 heat cycle will start to change the tires characteristics. But the most effective way would be a tire warmer blanket. I cant see another way unless you know the perfect way?

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

I dunno about changing the "atoms" but yes, holding tires at elevated temperature for any amount of time is adding heat history to them. In a way it's like you're putting the tire back in a mold and curing it more.

Like I said before, in theory you should be able to take warmers away and it be no huge deal if the tires are adjusted accordingly. But that's a big 'if'.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

olefud
olefud

Jersey Tom wrote:I dunno about changing the "atoms" but yes, holding tires at elevated temperature for any amount of time is adding heat history to them. In a way it's like you're putting the tire back in a mold and curing it more.

Like I said before, in theory you should be able to take warmers away and it be no huge deal if the tires are adjusted accordingly. But that's a big 'if'.
When a tire is produced it is vulcanized to convert the soft latex (like) raw material to a much tougher rubber. Classically, this involves heating with sulfur admixed into the raw rubber. The sulfur crosslinks the short chain length latex into longer, interconnected molecules of rubber.

All this is great except the cross linking doesn’t stop. Over time and at higher temps the rubber gets harder. Thus tires have a shelf life, and racing tires change with each heat.