Most effective way to warm tires!

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Birel99

Most effective way to warm tires!

A quick question on what ways are most effective in terms of getting tires up to temperature while on track or during a safety car. Lets forget about tire warmers.
Is weaving best or is hard acceleration and then braking more effective?

I would guess a combination would be ideal to use acceleration to keep heat in rear tires and weaving/braking to clear build up on tires?

Thanks, any help is appreciated!

czt
czt

Re: Most effective way to warm tires!

Heikki has an alternative method...

Everyone else uses acceleration/braking mainly.

Giblet
Giblet

Warming the brakes warms the tires quite bit, and from the 'backside'.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ernos5

Simply i believe putting high loads across the surface of the tire. This would require aggressive weaving at high speeds to work most effectively.

On the other hand with motorbikes, leaning side to side "scrubbing" in the tires does not warm them effectively. Bike tires get their head from hard acceleration and braking ie flexing in the tire wall.

marcush.
marcush.

that has been discussed at lengths for numerous times and still nobody came up with a satisfactory explanation why weaving should warm up tyres.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

marcush. wrote:that has been discussed at lengths for numerous times and still nobody came up with a satisfactory explanation why weaving should warm up tyres.
Rubber generates heat from strain cycles. More deformation, or higher cycle rate -> more hysteretic energy loss to heat. Cornering, or applying drive and brake torque, does generate strain and heat.

However.. there's something to be said for speed. If you're winding up for a qualifying lap... will you release more energy by driving slowly and turning left and right... or by just putting your right foot down?

Then of course there's the issue of how you're measuring the temperature, and if the information is good or crap. I'm not entirely sold on any one method.

Plus, this all assumes you want (or even need) the tires to be very hot.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

marcush.
marcush.

without any doubt it is wrong to talk of temperature as a means of declaring tyres conditioned correctly for exploiting their potential
If this was the case ..why not crank up the tyre blankets a few more degrees and go out with tyres at correct working temps .The temperature is not the reason for them to stick...it´s the physical interaction with the track surface thats providing the grip the result of this interaction is raising the tyres temps.Heating of the tyres itself does make the tyre a bit softer ,possibly helping the driver to lean on the tyre or helping him not to put to much strain into the cold rubber but as we see the drivers still need a full lap or more to
bring the tyre into its operating window.
Sustained loads will work the tyres effectively ,whereas going slow and turning right left will of course cancel out the help of the aero of the car ...so not very useful here to work the tyre to stay in the sub 2g area and try to bring a tyre alive that is designed to work and live at 4-5 gs longitudinal and almost 4gs lateral for 50 laps.

speedsense
speedsense

Successful tire warming is about heating the "core" (inside surface and belted core) of the tire up to operating or race running temp. Tire warmers do this very well.

Without tire warmers:

The Core of the tire helps maintain the temp of the tire and once heated maintains the temp stability of the tire. As the contact surface is exposed to air flow it cools and heats literally in seconds with ranges (depending on size and location, IE front/rear.)of 120-400F depending on downforce/horsepower/tire size/compound/construction. The core operates as the balancer of the heat retained in the tire and when operating at running temp, change temp slowly in comparison.

Heat is generated from several sources with varying degrees of input. Braking has the highest amount of heat generation as most brake rotors will reach 800-1000 F in normal operation. As the calipers, rotor and hub are attached to the wheel, they heat the wheel up in temp. In turn the tire is attached to the wheel and receives the heat from the wheel. The inside wheel surface also heats the air, in turn generating heat to the inside. The wheel also radiates heat to the air inside. These temps are very high and radiate heat very well to the tire.
A another important heat generator is the movement of the contact patch through elasticity of the contact patch (braking,cornering,acceleration) Through friction of the movement of the rubber and cords, heat is generated internally. The heating of the tire in this method is directly related to the amount of work and stress put into the contact patch. An ambient tire will not produce enough work UNTIL heating of the outside (contact patch) surface occurs and the amount of friction (grip) is increased. This is a non linear curve from ambient to running temp. It takes much longer for heat generation to occur, as the outside temp has to migrate to the inside and "allow" greater elasticity work to take place.
The last one and the longest one is acceleration generated heat. A spinning drive tire, will generate heat, though again takes time to migrate from outside to inside. If no lateral G and only long G is present, the time will be longer than with Lateral G involved.

A combination of all three used at the same time is the fastest route to a hot tire and a core that is at running temp. IE- turn (in a weaving motion), as you start a weave, apply brake (creating brake heat,and force to the contact patch, mostly fronts), on the way out of the weave, apply throttle, spinning the rear tires or *front, if drive is there though a problem for heating the rears* (small smoking burnouts :D ), repeat. BTW, doing this "on line" lest you pick dirt and whatever as the tires get hot.
Having a set of tires, "on fire" at the start of a race, is a great advantage. IMHO
Last edited by speedsense on 02 Oct 2010, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

alelanza
alelanza

Great post, we need more tyre people around here :)
Alejandro L.

speedsense
speedsense

alelanza wrote:Great post, we need more tyre people around here :)
Thanks, though I'm not a "tire" person. Have worked with thousands of racing tires however, trying to make the car and the driver work around them....
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

747heavy

"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

747heavy

marcush. wrote:without any doubt it is wrong to talk of temperature as a means of declaring tyres conditioned correctly for exploiting their potential
I know, what you want to say Marcus, and there is merrit to it, but I maybe would not use the "without any doubt" expression when it comes to tires. :wink:

courtesty of RACE TECH magazine
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

747heavy

what AVON has to say in regards to tire conditioning:
it is in part opposing to speedsense recommendation of "small burnouts", take your own pick - there are different ways to skin a cat.
But keep in mind that rubber is a poor heat conductor in general.
One of the most efficient methods of tire heating - the use of micro waves - is unfortunately banned in most racing series, but was used with geat success by Audi in LeMans before the ban.

User Advice

For most purposes, racing tyres will benefit from an appropriate 'Scrubbing in' procedure. This provides the best combination of performance and longevity under race conditions.

There are several difficulties that arise when using racing tyres if they are not scrubbed in prior to use. The most common is "Cold Graining", where the layer of the tread compound in contact with the track, fails in shear with the layer below. The result is a very visible low frequency, high amplitude rippling effect. This is more common with new tyres particularly when used in wet, damp or greasy conditions.

Avon Tyres Motorsport recommends that a standard scrubbing in procedure be used whenever possible (conditions and regulations allowing). This consists of subjecting the tyres through one gentle heat cycle, gradually loading them up whilst avoiding drifting the car. This should take about three to four laps of a circuit where the lap time is in the region of 60 to 100 seconds. The last lap should only be about 80% race speed. If possible, scrub in at least one new set of tyres during free practice, and put these aside for the race. In this way you will know that they have been balanced correctly, and have no slow punctures etc. Getting this done early is important as the qualifying session may become wet or be red flagged, which could force the use of new tyres in a race.

When regulations or circumstances do not allow the above procedure to be carried out, then the following should be borne in mind: -

Graining of the loaded front tyre can be avoided if it is ensured that they are fully up to temperature before pushing hard.

It is relatively easy to generate temperature in the driving tyres as they are transmitting power most of the time. The front tyres, however, will need to be given more time and be loaded up progressively before they will be 'In' fully. It should be noted that it is the loading of tyres that introduces the significant heat, not sliding or wheelspinning.

For qualifying, the best results have been shown to have been achieved when the front and rear tyre temperatures are the same when measured at the base of the tread. If pushed too early, the rear will come in before the front causing understeer, and taken to the extreme, cold graining as detailed above.

It is quite possible to get the rear tyres to go off before the front tyres come in, which will lead to a car that is never balanced, making set-up and qualifying very difficult.

Thus to get the best from a set of scrubbed tyres, look after the rear tyres by not using full power out of corners, and instead work the front tyres progressively without inducing large amounts of understeer. When the fronts are fully up to temperature, go for a time (really hooked up lap). Push hard for 2 to 3 laps, and then back off the pace for a lap to allow the tyres to recover, and to get some clear track. Repeat this procedure for the best results.

It should be noted that there is always going to be a slight performance peak from new tyres, but it will only be possible to take advantage of this if the car is balanced on its tyres. A correctly scrubbed in set of tyres will always give more consistent performance over its lifetime than a set that has been used hard from new, even if it hasn't grained.
- Colin Chapman

speedsense
speedsense

747heavy wrote:what AVON has to say in regards to tire conditioning:
it is in part opposing to speedsense recommendation of "small burnouts", take your own pick - there are different ways to skin a cat.
But keep in mind that rubber is a poor heat conductor in general.
One of the most efficient methods of tire heating - the use of micro waves - is unfortunately banned in most racing series, but was used with geat success by Audi in LeMans before the ban.

User Advice

For most purposes, racing tyres will benefit from an appropriate 'Scrubbing in' procedure. This provides the best combination of performance and longevity under race conditions.

There are several difficulties that arise when using racing tyres if they are not scrubbed in prior to use. The most common is "Cold Graining", where the layer of the tread compound in contact with the track, fails in shear with the layer below. The result is a very visible low frequency, high amplitude rippling effect. This is more common with new tyres particularly when used in wet, damp or greasy conditions.

Avon Tyres Motorsport recommends that a standard scrubbing in procedure be used whenever possible (conditions and regulations allowing). This consists of subjecting the tyres through one gentle heat cycle, gradually loading them up whilst avoiding drifting the car. This should take about three to four laps of a circuit where the lap time is in the region of 60 to 100 seconds. The last lap should only be about 80% race speed. If possible, scrub in at least one new set of tyres during free practice, and put these aside for the race. In this way you will know that they have been balanced correctly, and have no slow punctures etc. Getting this done early is important as the qualifying session may become wet or be red flagged, which could force the use of new tyres in a race.

When regulations or circumstances do not allow the above procedure to be carried out, then the following should be borne in mind: -

Graining of the loaded front tyre can be avoided if it is ensured that they are fully up to temperature before pushing hard.

It is relatively easy to generate temperature in the driving tyres as they are transmitting power most of the time. The front tyres, however, will need to be given more time and be loaded up progressively before they will be 'In' fully. It should be noted that it is the loading of tyres that introduces the significant heat, not sliding or wheelspinning.

For qualifying, the best results have been shown to have been achieved when the front and rear tyre temperatures are the same when measured at the base of the tread. If pushed too early, the rear will come in before the front causing understeer, and taken to the extreme, cold graining as detailed above.

It is quite possible to get the rear tyres to go off before the front tyres come in, which will lead to a car that is never balanced, making set-up and qualifying very difficult.

Thus to get the best from a set of scrubbed tyres, look after the rear tyres by not using full power out of corners, and instead work the front tyres progressively without inducing large amounts of understeer. When the fronts are fully up to temperature, go for a time (really hooked up lap). Push hard for 2 to 3 laps, and then back off the pace for a lap to allow the tyres to recover, and to get some clear track. Repeat this procedure for the best results.

It should be noted that there is always going to be a slight performance peak from new tyres, but it will only be possible to take advantage of this if the car is balanced on its tyres. A correctly scrubbed in set of tyres will always give more consistent performance over its lifetime than a set that has been used hard from new, even if it hasn't grained.
Warming of the tires and conditioning them (a first cycle scrub) are too different subjects. I am only referring to tire warming, not conditioning.

Nor am I condoning spinning of the tires, but rather flexing of the contact patch of the rears. As there's no steering wheel to grind the contact patch. Which is what I meant by "small smoking burnouts". Guess I should have said, rotating slightly faster than the speed of the car....
Sliding or spinning the tire or even locking wheels while bringing the tire to temp can damage the tire and slow the process.
The technique I am describing is the fastest route to a hot tire and has been back to back tested in data with internal tire temps and IR's attached. Until something is found that works better, this one works well. I've yet to meet a tire tech that disagrees with the technique.

alelanza
alelanza

Now, thinking about those small burnouts. I recall very clearly that not long ago the F1 drivers seemed to perform what visually seemed like far more aggressive burnouts while weaving on their way to the grid than they do nowadays. I'm talking about the ones they do just as they're back onto the main straight, with what seems like all 4 tyres spinning while the car only rotates around its vertical axis
I have a very clear recollection of Alonso doing that a lot stronger than most other drivers during 05-06, and i guess but i'm not sure that during 07-08 that happened as well but to a slightly lesser degree. However presently, and i think that would include 09, they just never seem to do that anymore, at least not as aggressively.
Is this a result of the fully slick tyres being used nowadays? or, if i'm right in thinking they stopped doing it in 07, something that worked better with the michelins or perhaps something that was possible with the traction control enabled cars? thoughts?
Alejandro L.