Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

FP1 - Lotus team is testing new "Coanda" exhaust on Kimi's E20. If it will work they plan to use it on both cars.

Last edited by Forza on 12 Oct 2012, 03:31, edited 2 times in total.

FlYiNgIcEmAn

“@tgruener: #F1 Finally I got a pic of the new Lotus exhaust. Only Kimi using it in #Korea FP1.Image

RB7ate9

If that's the extent of it, I foresee some issues with maximizing it's potential. Unlike the other teams that have adopted the coanda exhaust, their...I guess "channel" doesn't extend very far from the sidepod itself. What may happen is that there will be a downwash, but it will be adversely affected by sidepod flow, causing it to perhaps mix inwards rather than downwards towards sealing the edges of the diffuser, as the other teams have said they are doing.

It may be a matter of Lotus feeling out the setup or a deliberate choice to compromise different factors I cannot see.

Even Force India and Toro Rosso have their exhausts jutting out farther.

Interesting....

godlameroso

Don't be so sure, you can bet Lotus has experience with getting exhaust aimed at places from 2011, so rest assured it's going where they want it to go, will it be enough remains to be seen.
Saishū kōnā

Forza

Fp1

RB7ate9

godlameroso wrote:Don't be so sure, you can bet Lotus has experience with getting exhaust aimed at places from 2011, so rest assured it's going where they want it to go, will it be enough remains to be seen.
I sincerely hope for their sake and the interest-value of the season that the exhaust solution provides what they are looking for. All in all, though, I really like the look of it. It preserves the smoothness of the sidepod while giving some of the coanada effect.

MarkedOne8

Why you are especting DRD test?They have already said there will be no more DRS until young driver test in Abu Dhabi.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

aleks_ader

MarkedOne8 wrote:Why you are especting DRD test?They have already said there will be no more DRS until young driver test in Abu Dhabi.
I asume you quote to me! I assume that beacuse of different engine cover opening... And like you could see on picture of Kimmis car they boltet new coling exit adapter (look joints on the cover)....
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

Bv. Interesting Lotus interpetation of coanda/downwash exhoust. :shock: Roughly simmilar to williams solution.... Like many others already sad they made HUGE compromise in design... Beacuse they still dont want sacrifice coke bottle efect... They still want keep some car "identity" but for downwash control of exhaust plume is that quite tricky to optimized....

Also side winds will had huge influence on path of exhaust plume... Will see if they will use in the race...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

FlYiNgIcEmAn

According to James Allison the new exhaust will stay on the car.
He said that in the principals press conference.

Ral
Ral

Would the metal surround be enough to conduct some extra excess heat away, meaning they don't have to compromise with additional cooling slits in the sidepod? If they have the exhaust physically connected to the surround, that would essentially be additional exposed surface area, right? Additionally, the heat, however little, would go where they want it.

Sevach

Very small lump (if you can call it that) for the coanda, looks like they are trying to get some exhaust effect with minimal impact on the E20 normal airflow, let's see how much this brings them, given that the leading exhaust blowing teams completely commited to it, Red Bull with the ramp, Sauber going back to the ramp, Ferrari with the big duct and Mclaren extending theirs significantly.
Also (as with the Williams) hot air openings became significantly bigger.

BOK
BOK

Korean GP - Friday

Huntresa

Is that a bump in the metal?

turbof1

Huntresa wrote:Is that a bump in the metal?
Looks like it. Are they trying to utilise a coanda effect inside an existing coanda effect?
#AeroFrodo