China 2006 & Ferrari engine issue

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Lightspeed

Life much be pretty difficult for the anti-Schumacher types right now. :lol: I see they have now resorted to fan baiting. :lol:

Pity them :cry:

wazojugs

i have been baiting since 1990 whether or not they were winning.

i would rather be a baiter than a sheep

flynfrog

Principessa wrote:
Great sportsman! You saw him congratulating Schumi after the race. Not everybody would do that!
at what point did he do ths i saw him stomp off like an upset child then stand like one on the podium

he genraly ignored michel

wazojugs

flynfrog wrote:
Principessa wrote:
Great sportsman! You saw him congratulating Schumi after the race. Not everybody would do that!
at what point did he do ths i saw him stomp off like an upset child then stand like one on the podium

In the back room before they went onto the podium. Alonso was smiles and shook his hand and james allen on commentary made a point of saying how sportman like FA is.

But on another note has anyone noticed how MS hardly ever interacts with the other podium place drivers (other teams, just watch the next race).

Principessa

djones wrote:Also, that was the last race on that engine for MS (I think) and the first for FA's car. FA having to push that hard and MS having a new engine at the next race will be quite good from MS' point of view.
As I already pointed out on the first page of this topic, Massa was the one driving his 2nd race with this engine (before he needed another one fit into his car on Friday) and Schumacher got a new one for Chinese Grand Prix, just like Fernando Alonso!
Principessa wrote:Massa got a new engine at Monza, Schumacher used an old one at Monza!
flynfrog wrote:
Principessa wrote:Great sportsman! You saw him congratulating Schumi after the race. Not everybody would do that!
at what point did he do ths i saw him stomp off like an upset child then stand like one on the podium he genraly ignored michel
Don't be silly Flynfrog....what did he had to do? Jump around with Michael as he was greeting his team? Alonso congratulated him on the appropriate time, as he didn't had to interfere in the joy of Schumi and his team. And ignoring Michael on the podium...I think you're wrong! As Alonso was the first to step up, and hold Schumi for the picture. He took the initiative!

Btw: Don't you think it's normal that when your rival wins, as you have a really good day and you're the fastest man on track but you have some problems, you feel disappointed??? I would be very disappointed and I would have trouble congratulating Schumi after their history this season! But Alonso showed he stood above that and called the victory of Schumacher deserved...so in my opinion, Alonso is the biggest sportsman!
Last edited by Principessa on 01 Oct 2006, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

flynfrog

wazojugs wrote:
flynfrog wrote:
Principessa wrote:

In the back room before they went onto the podium. Alonso was smiles and shook his hand and james allen on commentary made a point of saying how sportman like FA is.

But on another note has anyone noticed how MS hardly ever interacts with the other podium place drivers (other teams, just watch the next race).

must have been when american tv went to commercial i was actuly watching for it and was sligtly suprised alonso didnt do it when they got out of the cars.

Principessa

flynfrog wrote:must have been when american tv went to commercial i was actuly watching for it and was sligtly suprised alonso didnt do it when they got out of the cars.
As I pointed out before...Schumacher got out of the car, was standing on the car facing his team, jumped of and ran towards his team straight away...Alonso didn't really had the opportunity. He got weighed....waited for Schumacher to get on the podium and as he had the chance to congratulate Michael, he did! His exact words: "Congratulations Michael!"

m3_lover

flynfrog wrote:must have been when american tv went to commercial i was actuly watching for it and was sligtly suprised alonso didnt do it when they got out of the cars.
I get the same channels as you and I saw it... so you must have changed the channel.. no biggie though... But it was sporting of Alonso to Schumi.

My God they need to get rid of Sato.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

bhall
bhall

Principessa wrote:As I pointed out before...Schumacher got out of the car, was standing on the car facing his team, jumped of and ran towards his team straight away...Alonso didn't really had the opportunity. He got weighed....waited for Schumacher to get on the podium and as he had the chance to congratulate Michael, he did! His exact words: "Congratulations Michael!"
This is such a dumb thing to be arguing because it really doesn't matter, but it must be said that Alonso was well on his way inside just as Schumacher was getting out of his car. The commentators on Speed made it a point to mention it.

Alonso was really sulking the whole time after the race. And that's totally understandable; any dedicated driver would after devoting so much time and energy into something only to come up short. That's especially true because he and Renault should have had this race in the bag.

Let's not forget though that these guys are racing, not having afternoon tea.
m3_lover wrote:My God they need to get rid of Sato.
Amen.
Last edited by bhall on 01 Oct 2006, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

Ciro Pabón

Alonso wasn't happy and he and Schumacher are not precisely friends. Alonso admires Schumacher, he has said so since he was karting, and for Michael, probably, he is the less boring opponent. For me, it was a normal podium in an atypical season.

I said it in another (less fructiferous) thread: this is a tied championship. And the constructor championship is Renault's by one point! It couldn't be more exciting and, at least for me, a championship where etiquette is less relevant.

My heart is with Alonso but my mind is with Schumacher. I do not know what to admire the most: if Fernando bravery, nobility and intelligence or Michael expertise, tranquility and (again) intelligence.

Pilots and cars aside, if you start to think about the most important part of racing :lol:, I am in love with the circuit in China. I hope some of you had noticed the similarity between my avatar and the curves there, ehem. :wink:

I want to repeat another thing I've said a lot of times: a 20 meters wide circuit gives you two racing lines in most curves and makes irrelevant push-to-pass and CDG wings. This should be mandatory.

Another important feature is the grass strip and the asphalted recovery surface: it allows the pilots to test the limit and punish, without expelling from the race, the pilot that goes too close. This is another feature that should be obligatory at all circuits.

I wonder if this disposition (grass strip and recovery area) could be used in the chicanes (at least, on the external part of the first curve of the chicane) to avoid the fighting over somebody using the chicane illegally.

The "first curve", instead of being a chicane is a long spiral transition (over 270 degrees, I think): it is a beautiful way to diminish incidents at the start of the race.

To resume: if this race hadn't happened in this circuit, the number of retirements (including, probably, Alonso) would have been much greater. It is really weird to observe a race under wet conditions so safe. Well done, Mr. Tilke!

Instead of bickering forever about the best ways to invalidating immense investments on wind tunnels and engine development, perhaps some harder regulations on circuits could help to find more ellegant, simpler solutions towards a more entertaining race for fans and pilots.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 01 Oct 2006, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

Principessa

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/4094 :wink:

I'm not a Schumacher fans, but we can thank both Schumacher and Alonso (just like Ferrari and Renault) for one of the most exciting seasons in years!
I'm enjoying every moment of this season and writing all the news about it gives me even more joy, but I have to say as it is...my heart was really breaking as I saw Alonso losing pace and as I saw him in the pits for 20 seconds with a problem. My heart is with Alonso, as he really takes risks, but calculated risks. He goes for it with whole his heart. And as I play basketball, I really now how Alonso must have felt today! It's like losing a basketballmatch with only a few seconds on the clock after being ahead all game long! It's really hard to deal with that! I hope to see 2 exciting races to wrap up the season and ... in my heart I hope that Alonso and Renault can snatch both titles :oops:

Michael Schumacher, as I said above, isn't my idol...but I have to say that I have great respect for the man. And this season, he plays it fair (so far)! It has to be said: Schumacher and Alonso bring spectacle!

Venom
Venom

Great race!

I'm sure Kubica had loadsss of fun in ice skating - what a fighter :D

and ofcourse THANK YOU SCHUMI

The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

boban-mk

Principessa wrote:but I have to say as it is...my heart was really breaking as I saw Alonso losing pace and as I saw him in the pits for 20 seconds with a problem. My heart is with Alonso, as he really takes risks, but calculated risks. He goes for it with whole his heart. And as I play basketball, I really now how Alonso must have felt today!
He and his fans have to start practice that situation bacause when he will be in McLaren that will happend every second race.
You know what filling Kimi's fans have watching F1 last 3 seasons.
Couple monts ago somene mention that Mercedes engine is one of most realiable one's. What a joke. :cry: :cry: .

Ciro Pabón

boban-mk wrote:You know what filling Kimi's fans have watching F1 last 3 seasons. Couple monts ago somene mention that Mercedes engine is one of most realiable one's. What a joke. :cry: :cry: .
Not only that. I've heard the rumour that some malicious people even dares to say that Kimi has a foot of lead. May they see the light. :wink:
Ciro

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

First off, congratulations to Michael Schumacher and his team and fans on winning. His team executed a near perfect strategy, they made the correct decisions at the right time, and allowed their competitors to beat themselves. It was as good a win as Button's. Excellent drive, and staying out of trouble all days results in a well deserved win.
My heart goes out to Kimi, the man who should have claimed the win, but once again, once again, once again, let down by the utter lack of reliability of his McLaren. It took over half the season for the decision makers at McLaren to realize you have to qualify as light as possible. But they still haven't twigged onto the notion that you also have to finish. For so many smart people in McLaren, it's amazing how many dumb decisions they make.
Honda had both drivers competing against each other all day in a wondeful bang-up competition. Good clean, but very competitive racing from both Button and Barrachelo.
In the battle of teammates, it was a no brainer. Massa never got it right all weekend, while Fisi completed his primary objectives. He qialified front row, did block for Alonso for awhile, and as importantly, finished third and brought home incredibally important points for the manufacturer's title chase. While we fans focus on the driver's title, in the war between Ferrari and Renault, that manufacturer's title is even more important. If Shu or Alonso win the title,so what? Both will no longer be with the team next season, neither Renault or Ferrari will have a car carrying the number one next season. Although Fisi choked big time a few times during the race, he did keep the car on the track and got points. But Fisi proved why he will never be champion, and really shouldn't be with Renault next year. Fisi, get off your Mama's teat and grow some balls, boy.
Toyota have vindicated Gascoyne, proving that corporate mentality and corporate pace isn't fast enough or good enough to keep up with the relentless pace of Formula One. This is the rare exception where a bucketload of money doesn't help, but instead where the suits in Japan need to shut up, sit back, and give the actual race team free rein to innovate, make quick and relevant changes, and do their own thing without the corporate mentality of Toyota impeding every thought and decision.
Both Schumacher and Alonso drove incredible races, each driver put on a clinic for any and all to enjoy. But Shu crossed the line forst, and he gets a well deserved win.
What happened post race, the interaction, or lack of between Alonso and Schumacher is nothing to get excited about or worth arguing. Alonso didn't kick Michael in the goonies, he actually did shake his hand at one point. So arguing about sportsmanship is pointless. Michael didn't exactly extend himslef to Alonso, either. During the post race interview, I don't think that either actually looked at his competitor, and eye contact was never made.
This is understandable, we have two very proud and competitive gladiators locked in a truly classic war between each other.
Of course Alonso was unhappy and disapointed. He drove a great race, and should have won based on merit and pace. But his team let him down with poor decisions. It sure made for two very dour and long faces. Both Fisi and Alonso leave China knowing that somehow a better result slipped through their fingers, something that was not supposed to happen.
For most, it was a relatively clean race. DC must harbor some resentment against Ferrari, he could not have screwed Massa more if he had dropped his pants and had anal sex with him. DC should have been penalized for turning into Massa.
And Sato? I just revised my Japanese to English translation. Now Sato = joke. And Takuma = pathetic.
But the race in China sets up the two remaining races. I hope tomorrow I wake up having won the lottery, because I would give my left nut to be in Brasil. Renault have proven they have their pace back, and Schumacher has proven why is is definitely one of the most competitive great drivers of all time.