Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f300v10
f300v10

Re: Ferrari F138

Upon closer inspection of the below rear shots, I do see changes to the rear break duct winglets. They have removed the 'endplate' from the edge of the winglets. Not sure if that change was used for qualifying or not.

New:

Old:

Ludus

flyboy2160 wrote:it may have been "fix it again, tony" at times in the past, but this year's carbon fiber quality looks stunning to me! (I believe another poster also pointed this out previously.) thanks to all those posting the close up pictures.
thank you for the info :D

Nomore
Nomore

The fastest car of this season.

shelly
shelly

Nomore wrote:The fastest car of this season.
in these three races it has been the fastest overall - very fast in quali also
twitter: @armchair_aero

Nomore
Nomore

shelly wrote:
Nomore wrote:The fastest car of this season.
in these three races it has been the fastest overall - very fast in quali also
yep, Hope it will be till Barsil 2013...we Ferraris fans really miss that.

f300v10
f300v10

As visible in this image, Ferrari did run the new 'endplate less' rear brake duct winglets in the race:

f300v10
f300v10

So in the first weekend that was not effected by rain in qualifications or the race, the F138 was finally able to show its true form. Still not the quickest over 1 lap, but the gap was not that big. Race pace equal or better than any other car at this point in the season. But the key to being able to use the race pace is getting ahead of the faster qualifying cars early. Alonso was able to do that today, but it may not be so easy at other circuits. If Ferrari can close the 1 lap pace gap they are looking good for 2013. If only Alonso had not been knocked out early in Malaysia, I think he would have given the Red Bulls a real run for the win there as well.

amouzouris

f300v10 wrote:Upon closer inspection of the below rear shots, I do see changes to the rear break duct winglets. They have removed the 'endplate' from the edge of the winglets. Not sure if that change was used for qualifying or not.

New:
http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... eriore.jpg

Old:
http://i.imgur.com/HLHIjbs.jpg
The changes I can spot is a reduced span on the lower winglets whilst keeping their endplate but removing the endplate from the upper winglets. My initial thoughts on the reason behind this is that the vortex induced by the winglets reduces the drag induced by the rear wheels whilst reducing the downforce they produce as well..Overall targeting a decrease in drag.. I am also wondering if this upgrade will not be used in every race since the shanghai track is a lower downforce one.

I would like to hear (read) the opinion of the other 'aero members' of the forum

f300v10
f300v10

Given the very short span on those winglets, and what I can only assume is sub-optimal flow reaching them with the proximity of the tires, I tend to think they aren't to concerned with the drag they produce.

Question, with any downforce produced by those winglets acting directly on the wheel, how would Ferrari measure it? They can't read a load cell mounted on the suspension, as the load doesn't go through it. It would seem a difficult part to make comparisons on for that reason.

f300v10
f300v10

This photo really shows the effect of the coanda exhaust. The exhaust flow appears to form a 'virtual wall' where it touches the floor, to the extent that tire 'clag' has built up into a u-shape where the flow meets the floor. The freestream air is diverted inward into the sidepod undercut area and into the gap between the floor and tire.

shelly
shelly

amouzouris wrote:
f300v10 wrote:Upon closer inspection of the below rear shots, I do see changes to the rear break duct winglets. They have removed the 'endplate' from the edge of the winglets. Not sure if that change was used for qualifying or not.

New:

Old:
The changes I can spot is a reduced span on the lower winglets whilst keeping their endplate but removing the endplate from the upper winglets. My initial thoughts on the reason behind this is that the vortex induced by the winglets reduces the drag induced by the rear wheels whilst reducing the downforce they produce as well..Overall targeting a decrease in drag.. I am also wondering if this upgrade will not be used in every race since the shanghai track is a lower downforce one.

I would like to hear (read) the opinion of the other 'aero members' of the forum

In my opinion by removing the endplates they have the vortex starting lower (some 50mm lower?) and thus they have more downwash effect on the gap between rear wheel and footplate. So in my opinon they are looking at some extra downforce by making coanda exhausts work better

shelly
shelly

About tyre marbels buildup: Interesting to compare with this shot
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8255/f ... iforme.jpg [/quote]
taken on the 8th of February during winter tests
Last edited by shelly on 14 Apr 2013, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

amouzouris

shelly wrote:
amouzouris wrote:

New:

Old:

In my opinion by removing the endplates they have the vortex starting lower (some 50mm lower?) and thus they have more downwash effect on the gap between rear wheel and footplate. So in my opinon they are looking at some extra downforce by making coanda exhausts work better
that could be it as well! I think I have a long week of modelling and CFD testing ahead...I know this might not be so interesting for most people but I find it extremely interesting..!

henra
henra

shelly wrote:In my opinion by removing the endplates they have the vortex starting lower (some 50mm lower?) and thus they have more downwash effect on the gap between rear wheel and footplate. So in my opinon they are looking at some extra downforce by making coanda exhausts work better
I doubt it. If you would want to increase the footplate vortex you would probably rather remove the winglets on the lower elements completely and would leave them on on the upper ones. Also I think it would be to high and could even be detrimental to the footplate vortex.
I could imgaine it is rather because of the proximity of the Rear Wing Endplates. The small 'channel' between the Brake Duct Winglets and the Rear Wing Endplate could cause some problems in the interaction with the Rear Wing Endplate and its design that aims at supporting the extraction from the diffuser due to the pressure gradient (higher pressure) towards the Rear Wing endplate.
Fast vortices behind the Brake Duct wing elements could be intended to reduce static pressure on the outsíde of the Rear Wing Endplate and could thus be helpful in the expansion work behind the Rear Wing.
Just speculation though.
Good Luck with any CFD attempts. I doubt this can be easily modeled because it is probably highly turbulent.
Last edited by henra on 14 Apr 2013, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Nomore
Nomore

that could be it as well! I think I have a long week of modelling and CFD testing ahead...I know this might not be so interesting for most people but I find it extremely interesting..![/quote]

You work for a team ?