McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

stefan_ wrote:Bahrain Testing - Day 1 (08.04.2014)

http://i.imgur.com/3ExVSgt.jpg
Where has the butterfly suspension gone??????? Hmmmm

Hmm well spotted; testing tithout the parachutes.

I guess they'll try to back to back suspension arms, unless they've already dismissed them with CFD/found some cheaper downforce.

sectionate
sectionate

I wonder if they are going to look at a Williams style beam wing in their place? That's where I would head

CjC
CjC

sectionate wrote:I wonder if they are going to look at a Williams style beam wing in their place? That's where I would head
That's a good shout.
I love in season testing, back to backing parts, it's clears many a discussion up, after this test we will see who had the right opinions on this forum about the suspension arms if they are beneficial or not.

I saw during the Bahrain race JB clocking 327kph, if the arms are so draggy and they are testing a standard design surely we'll see 335kph @ top end??
Just a fan's point of view

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Having McLaren used the gear ratio joker yet? If they drop the somewhat draggy suspension arms, they might need to redo the ratios.

Thunder

sectionate wrote:I wonder if they are going to look at a Williams style beam wing in their place? That's where I would head
Didn't the already have such a lower beam Wing?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

stefan_
stefan_

Bahrain Testing - Day 1 (08.04.2014)

Testing without the 'butterfly' suspension.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Thunders wrote:
Didn't the already have such a lower beam Wing?
Don't think so, can't seem to see anything like that in these pics: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 20#p499820
Though I also kind of remember them using something like that in pre season testing I can't seem to find it.

oT v1
oT v1

disappointed they dropped the butterflies, one of the more exciting bodywork developments this year. Also shows it was a mistake, what were they doing with it before? especially if correlation is good in the wind tunnel. (hopefully it stays on for the next races though)
The Power of Dreams

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

It's the first time we can have a decent look at the size of those hot air outlets. They seem so big in comparison to others (Merc, RB). Big and round at the top, but they seem to stretch right to the floor. Surely this must be related to the butterflies obstructing the airflow and so degrading the cooling efficiency. I see no other reason to make them that big and but them that high. The butterflies will bring them something, but if this means making the hot air outlets big and high then it surely costs them there as well. If their CFD correlation is that good this year, then it can't be to investigate the drag penalty. I wonder if it's not more related to cooling than it is to drag comparison.

stefan_
stefan_

oT v1 wrote:disappointed they dropped the butterflies, one of the more exciting bodywork developments this year. Also shows it was a mistake, what were they doing with it before? especially if correlation is good in the wind tunnel. (hopefully it stays on for the next races though)
Hold on, maybe they just want some track time with a normal suspension to compare the two. It doesn't mean that the butterfly is a disaster.

We'll see in China if it stays or maybe it will be used only on certain tracks.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

f1rules
f1rules

its gone for sure, maybe it was the Development of the head aero guy that split with mclaren, difference in direction i think the cause was. Probably with the Next gearbox update, if its not the Next race due to the two dnf's, we will see a new rear suspension layout

Thunder

@ Jef Patat: Something along these Lines was mentioned at Winter Testing. It would certainly be possible.

Also i think we will see the Butterfly Suspension at China, racing without them at Barcelona at earliest IF they ditch the Butterfly Suspension.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

f1rules wrote:its gone for sure, maybe it was the Development of the head aero guy that split with mclaren, difference in direction i think the cause was. Probably with the Next gearbox update, if its not the Next race due to the two dnf's, we will see a new rear suspension layout
If they are gone for sure then why didn't the reshape the rear end more? That makes no sense, the rear of the side pods, the rear of the engine cover, the hot air outlets, the rear wing starkes, are all designed with those butterflies in mind. They won't just leave those butterflies without altering at least one of those items.

f1rules
f1rules

agree, and im sure that will be altered eventually, im quessing now they are just testing without in a familiar environment, we will see, im sure they will be ditched