Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mantikos
mantikos

Re: Ferrari F14T

Redragon wrote:
speedy56 wrote:
timbo wrote:I guess there is something wrong with FOM graphics. Maybe Ferrari reports the wrong gear.
Could be, remember they had problem with showing 7th, instead of 8th in Aus and Mal
BBC are reporting they are just 3-4mph slower on the speed trap so I beleive that graphic is wrong, also on Mercedes thread they just posted a video that shows Mercedes doesn't have an 8th gear, so that changes the reading of the info on that image

They (Merc) have 8 gears

hollus

Ferrari have and use 8 gears, and the 8th is that short. See this video from Malaysia. The graphic shows 7th for 7th and 8th, but the drop in rpm when shifting to 8th is easy to see in the long straights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7BdZ84dupY
Rivals, not enemies.

Cuky

Redragon wrote:BBC are reporting they are just 3-4mph slower on the speed trap so I beleive that graphic is wrong, also on Mercedes thread they just posted a video that shows Mercedes doesn't have an 8th gear, so that changes the reading of the info on that image

They all have 8 gears because of one simple reason: Tehchnical regulations state that cars must have 8 forward ratios
9.6.1 The number of forward gear ratios must be 8.

siskue2005

they do have 8th gear, as posted in merc thread, look at lews's dash display as he goes out from the pits

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Ferrari, in Alonso's hands certainly, look good.

Any words on these 'small updates' that seem to be helping them?

Also, someone mentioned that the Ferrari is good in high speed corners, which indicates good downforce.... does that mean Gary Anderson is going to eat his words?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

JimClarkFan wrote:Ferrari, in Alonso's hands certainly, look good.

Also, someone mentioned that the Ferrari is good in high speed corners, which indicates good downforce.... does that mean Gary Anderson is going to eat his words?
The only update I've been able to see is the larger front brake ducts with the blown front hubs. Perhaps there are others that are just difficult to see. I'd say there have probably been some updates to the software on the PU side of things as well.

Redragon

siskue2005 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W74UIABOuA
they do have 8th gear, as posted in merc thread, look at lews's dash display as he goes out from the pits
I shut up now #-o #-o

Ral
Ral

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:Ferrari, in Alonso's hands certainly, look good.

The only update I've been able to see is the larger front brake ducts with the blown front hubs. Perhaps there are others that are just difficult to see. I'd say there have probably been some updates to the software on the PU side of things as well.
The other update mentioned by Craig is the blown front wheel hubs. Of course they were tested at Bahrain, so it's easy to forget they haven't been raced before.

max_speed
max_speed

did car improve at all ?. all positives from friday disappeared in quali, in third sector ferrari ws consistently loosing 1 second to mercs . we thought their straightline speed improved but it ws not evident , as others said in this forum tht chasis is nt bad and downforce level is also nt bad , struggles in wet can be attributed totally to PU , so were software updates a failure.

mcalex
mcalex

The worst power delivery of all engines means no traction in wet

zioture
zioture

Pictures of yesterday hubs Open and closed

Today's Photos hubs open.

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

In China, like in previous races, the Mercs were capable of doing to flying laps one after the other, whereas Ferrari (and many others also) made a slow lap in between fast ones. Maybe that is related to a much better power harvesting in the Mercs that allows them filling the battery each lap? Or maybe just they make less use of that power?

Goran2812
Goran2812

On the previous page were a couple of pictures of the car's bulkhead with the cabling and the steering rack... Are my eyes playing tricks on me or the lower right side doesn't have the same curvature as the left side? o.O
I'm not even sure if I explained it right...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

stefan_
stefan_

China 2014 - Saturday (19.04.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

diffuser

timbo wrote: You want to be 100% all the time down the straights. Fuel flow is defined by the rules.

PS I checked the screen caption and both cars are around 11100 rpm. I can't believe that there is such difference in gearing between two teams so that Ferrari @8th @11100 would be 15kph slower than Merc @7th @11100. I guess there is something wrong with FOM graphics. Maybe Ferrari reports the wrong gear.

I fear the gearing difference is Ferrari Compensating for lack of engine power.,,, the higher gear ratio requires less effort to accelerate but end-up with a top speed shortage.