Negativity and Haterism trend....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Negativity and Haterism trend....

Formula 1 took wrong turns before....
I remember years when less than three cars actually made the flag ....and 5 or 6 cars stranded within sight of the flag .Back then a lot of cars simply did not last long enough to score...

I heavyly contest the current aero is the reason for no overtaking ...the same goes for Carbon brakes...Forget it.The true reason is -in the old days drivers were not as professional -they made more mistakes as they simply were not as fit as todays jockeys....Plus -they had 50+ chances per lap (!) to ruin or hurt their car by shifting gears .....and guys like Chapman did not use FEA to reduce the weight of their cars they simply did try it ...crude but they did.

Current Formula 1 is boring to watch - one of the key incredients of formula 1- THAT SOUND- is gone. Sure Hybrid gimmicks supply some fascination ...but not on track .Especially if it is all but impossible to follow whats going on .
Formula 1 has departed from its fanbase that´s what it is. You got the fanboys cheering the drivers on -but they simply don´t care if Hamilton wins using Daimler technology or is propelled by a serious fart.

Very soon OEMs will have enough of the expenses necessary to showcase the same technology as their competitors..This year Daimler stole a march on Renault and Fiat ....hardly a game changer in a global context. The competition is racing in LeMans .

I can live with processional races but the made up artificial DRS,Tyre and Fuel story is just not F1 .to me that was V12 ,V10 v8 screeming at rediculous rpm ,cornering grip no end and guys with hairy legs and arms and balls of considerable size .

SectorOne

strad wrote:I ask once again, What wheel to wheel battles? I can't recall once.
A wheel to wheel battle is when two or more drivers go at it hammer and tongs for lap after lap.
Hamilton vs Rosberg in Bahrain
Vettel vs Alonso in Silverstone

Plus plenty more smaller fights.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Richard
Richard

Admittedly Interlagos was mainly out-braking at the end of a straight after using DRS. Having said that DRS isn't a breeze nowadays, it doesn't guarantee a pass. A bit like slipsteaming in the old days. Just like this season has seen the same rate of passing as the old days (1985 to be precise).

However COTA had lots of wheel to wheel racing, mainly from Ricciardo and Alonso who were passing cars (and each other) over several corners, with one person winning the apex, then the other cutting back to lead into the next corner. There were also cameo appearances from that group of 3 (it included Maldonardo & Grosjean??) who seemed to be neck and neck in the whole of the final stint.

wesley123
wesley123

turbof1 wrote:
wesley123 wrote: http://www.barchetta.cc/Common/Images/S ... o.1984.jpg

Seeing the large airbrakes those cars ran, I can't imagine they did not have the issue of losing lots of downforce.
Yeah that's huge :P. I still believe despite that, that current cars are much more sensitive the ones in previous era's. DRS might not be the perfect solution, it might not be a good solution at all, but it is an solution none the less. I also think the primary objection, cars just blowing past other cars due DRS, got a bit diminished over the years since the FIA tweaked it.

In some cases it led to jaw opening racing. Without DRS, the closing battling between Hamilton and Rosberg in Bahrain would never have happened. Artificial and in quite a few cases unfair, but it is often entertaining.
I don't think todays cars are more sensitive to it. they run more downforce, and 10% of a larger number is a larger loss(as an example).

But that also is the character of high downforce cars; They are aero sensitive. And I still don't see why they try to fix something(that in reality can't be fixed) that is synonymous with high downforce race cars.

And that is where the team comes in; it's an team effort to pass the guy in front of you, instead of pressing a button. I think F1 is the only sport where they actively try to prevent teamwork (sorry had to turn it into a negative).
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

strad

As I have often said; You all are entitled to your opinions as am I.
However I feel I often just hear a repetition of what the talking heads say. They have a vested interest in convincing people that it is exciting.
Much like when they make a huge deal out of a driver catching a bit of oversteer that we should darn well expect from them, that they hardly notice and certainly don't break a sweat over. Heck most of the things they get all excited over you or I could do. The toughest thing I see the drivers do is fiddle with that stupid steering wheel while driving quickly.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

I think on track it has been an OK season, but not great. Seeing Ricciardo win has been great, Nico vs Lewis has been pretty so-so really, a lot of it has been carefully stage managed from the pits after the Spa incident I think.
Last edited by turbof1 on 21 Nov 2014, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Let's leave out any fanboyism before it attracts it.

Sevach
Sevach

SectorOne wrote:
Edit: gotta love the "i disagree" downvotes here by anonymous people who would only vote because they can hide.
Ironic that you complain about that given that you have so many "like" upvotes.

Gaz.
Gaz.

Sevach wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
Edit: gotta love the "i disagree" downvotes here by anonymous people who would only vote because they can hide.
Ironic that you complain about that given that you have so many "like" upvotes.
He's right though, people are using it like Facebook, both up and down.
Forza Jules

bhall II
bhall II

I think anyone whose biggest problem with this season is the manner in which it's been discussed doesn't really have a problem.

xpensive
xpensive

bhall II wrote:I think anyone whose biggest problem with this season is the manner in which it's been discussed doesn't really have a problem.
Agreed and to be totally honest, I fail to understand the purpose and meaning of this thread if you are not allowed to discuss it?

More to the point, the originator blames members for being negative, but the blamed are not allowed to xplain their negativity.

Strange approach indeed if you ask me?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Sombrero
Sombrero

Sad to see hybrid F-1 irrelevant for proper racing. And by the way sound DOES matter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuyXbO706yc

SectorOne

Sevach wrote:Ironic that you complain about that given that you have so many "like" upvotes.
I complain about the upvotes as well, in fact i tend to complain about the whole system because it just does not work as intended.
But the thing about up and downvotes is one has the capability to censor perfectly legit text that breaks no rules and is only censored because someone disagrees with it.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

SectorOne wrote:
strad wrote:I ask once again, What wheel to wheel battles? I can't recall once.
A wheel to wheel battle is when two or more drivers go at it hammer and tongs for lap after lap.
Hamilton vs Rosberg in Bahrain
Vettel vs Alonso in Silverstone

Plus plenty more smaller fights.
So two, in 18 races. One caused by a safety car, the other which would've drawn countless penalties in previous years. Not ideal really is it.

SectorOne

Jonnycraig wrote:So two, in 18 races. One caused by a safety car, the other which would've drawn countless penalties in previous years. Not ideal really is it.
And still, despite that, light years better then the last couple of years.

Light years.

mertol

turbof1 wrote:
xpensive wrote:
Moose wrote: ...
This was only true in the dull 2004 era F1.
Is that as far back as you can recall?
Fuel and tyre managing happened too in previous era's. Last year there was too much emphasis on tyre management, I agree. This year that seems to be rather ok. But to be honest: do we even notice they are saving fuel nowadays? Before the season started we had fears all over the place that each race cars would simply stop due not enough fuel. That turned out to be rather panic over nothing. Ironically, the last time somebody really had fuel issues to the point they had to slow down seconds a lap was last year with Hamilton in Malaysia. The last time somebody had to drive under 9000rpm was in 2009, when refueling was still allowed but Massa didn't got enough fuel in his tank!
I do notice all the saving quite easily. In previous years you could see cars go a little sieways on corner exit, make little mistakes and even big ones whithout being pressured by anyone. This shows being on the limit. Just watch an old qualifying lap and you will understand why I would wait a whole hour of qualifying just to see THE LAP.

Just watch this and say again you don't notice it:
Last edited by mertol on 21 Nov 2014, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.