2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
evered7
evered7

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

iotar__ wrote:Was Ferrari waiting for Massa to be blocked on Saturday too, how much faster were they in qualifying? Since it's "Mercedes league" now in the race and 1,4 s in Q3, what happened there?

If you take the best sector times, Kimi was 'only' 1s or so away from Hamilton's time. Ferrari drivers blew their Qualifying.
But come race day, Vettel did just enough to keep Williams out of range.

The graph at F1 Fanatic gives a better picture with regards to gap between cars. If we consider that Mercedes didn't push 100%, then we should also consider the same for Ferrari. Because there was no need for them to do so as Mercedes were long gone when Vettel got away from Massa. The only thing Vettel had to focus on was to keep a safe distance from Massa, which he did.

atanatizante

What is RB doing is pretty lame coz IIRC they didn`t moan back when they were mighty, I mean in an era when F1 cars was dominated by aerodynamics …
And now, when the F1 is on the right path they are moaning and even threaten FIA with a departure coz F1 now, FINALLY, does something really relevant to auto industry : hybrid technology …
My belief is their only purpose and journey in F1 was purely for marketing reasons, coz they are just a soft drink company after all …
Now they are facing a real engineering challenge and having no car manufacture backing they have a slump in results, and finally a downturn with their soft drink sales.
I think they should have bought Renault sport F1 engine department or another big engine company with a background and pedigree in F1 and make their own engines, but this path was doomed going nowhere coz they are a soft drink company, after all, isn`t it?
So RB, like Totonator said, you have only two choices: one is to shut up now, scratch your heads and try to work harder if you still believe your no.1 in the F1 business, coz you have tones of money for this task … or, the second choice, face the consciences!

But let`s forget about this lame story and get back to what we enjoy …
Guys, we have to face it : the actual F1 has come into a boring phase and we need something new to spice the things up and improve the show, don`t you think?
So I challenge you into a brainstorming action in order to improve the show …
They are many ideas, some good and some not so good, but what we need nowadays is something real simple with immediate and low cost effects.
So there`s a simple solution form my part:
1. The first and the most important thing is how to increase overtaking actions, coz after all is what we – the fans – want the most, isn`t it? :)
This thing could be done by reversing the grid, but not for just the first 8 drivers (like they are doing GP2 or other competition), I mean for all the drivers!
2. For this we should tweak a little bit the actual scoring points system and the main reason is to give some incentive even to the last small team.
3. So the new system points allocation will be the same (I multiplied with 4 the actual one), with the same proportion like the present system for the first 8 places, as follows:
1) 100p.
2) 72p.
3) 60p.
4) 48p.
5) 40p.
6) 32p.
7) 24p.
8.) 16p.
9) 12p.
10) 11p.
11) 10p.
12) 9p.
13) 8p.
14) 7p.
15) 6p.
16) 5p.
17) 4p.
18) 3p.
19) 2p.
20) 1p.

4. Qualy and the race will be awarded with the same system points allocation and after the race they will add both qualy and race points that were achieved.
5. Finally, after the championship is ended their points will worth money with an so called currencies exchange rate, or if not with the current formula money allocation.

I now that`s not a flawless proposal and that`s why I need your feedback in order to do something to improve the show, coz I truly believe that we are the most rightful to do that …
And after all the system is done and polished maybe someone would bring it to Bernie :wink: and finally all of us will see some shiny days in F1 for everybody …

P.S. Please, guys spare me with your crocodile tears :)
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

For me that's not F1. If the F1 is boring, it's because some teams didn't work like Mercedes. They have just to work harder.

I even don't think the F1 is boring. You have the midfield fight and the Ferrari - Williams battle. This is not 2002. Some fans wants battle everywhere everytimes, they can watch btcc, gp2 and all these specs series if they want.

I like F1 like it is now, i would just scrap the use of the two compound rules, the fuel flow limit and the 4 engines for a year rules. If Ferrari decide they can do all the race with one stop and the hard tyres, while Mercedes thinks they can do two stops with the medium or even the soft let them.

Phil

Just wanted to voice my opinion on the Australian GP. It wasn't the most exhilirating races, but having a "boring" race doesn't mean it's boring. The fight between both Mercedes was IMO tense, as the gap fluctuated quite a bit. I at no point took it for granted that Lewis will win this.

Beyond the Mercedes, Vettel and Nasr, but also Kimi and Sainz and Verstappen were great to watch. Nasr, for keeping the RedBull behind him - and Vettel who managed to get past Massa. Kimi also had a very good race, despite the problem at the start which dropped him back. So, even behind the Mercedes, there was a lot happening.

If this is boring to some and highlights the problem of F1, I do wonder where the sport needs to heading with its fans. Perhaps the idea of Bernie with artificial rain isn't all that far fetched after all then. Or double point finales to add tension where there shouldn't be. Or bring back lottery tyres. Is this what we want - really? I'd take a legit winner over one that won through artificial means any day. Maybe those people should go watch WWE, or any other staged form of entertainment where the aim is to entertain, not produce legitimate racing that at times ends up being a one-sided race.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GPR-A duplicate2

atanatizante wrote:This thing could be done by reversing the grid, but not for just the first 8 drivers (like they are doing GP2 or other competition), I mean for all the drivers!
Are you sure this is going to work, as it stands today? Merc have already shown in last year's Russian GP that they can simply scroll through the field and win. In Hungary, starting from pit lane, Lewis almost won, except for bad choice of tyres.

When Ferrari was dominating, unlimited testing and refuelling was banned to stop them. Major regulations overhaul stopped Red Bull from dominating. May be something can be done to stop Merc. In all these three dominations, there are few things common. Money and will to succeed and a thorough planning for that, are foremost. Who is to say that, even if another major overhaul happens, another team won't come and dominate again?

dren

Phil wrote:Just wanted to voice my opinion on the Australian GP. It wasn't the most exhilirating races, but having a "boring" race doesn't mean it's boring. The fight between both Mercedes was IMO tense, as the gap fluctuated quite a bit. I at no point took it for granted that Lewis will win this.

Beyond the Mercedes, Vettel and Nasr, but also Kimi and Sainz and Verstappen were great to watch. Nasr, for keeping the RedBull behind him - and Vettel who managed to get past Massa. Kimi also had a very good race, despite the problem at the start which dropped him back. So, even behind the Mercedes, there was a lot happening.

If this is boring to some and highlights the problem of F1, I do wonder where the sport needs to heading with its fans. Perhaps the idea of Bernie with artificial rain isn't all that far fetched after all then. Or double point finales to add tension where there shouldn't be. Or bring back lottery tyres. Is this what we want - really? I'd take a legit winner over one that won through artificial means any day. Maybe those people should go watch WWE, or any other staged form of entertainment where the aim is to entertain, not produce legitimate racing that at times ends up being a one-sided race.
All good points. It wasn't the best race, but it was certainly entertaining. I even enjoyed watching Button wring that Mclaren around the track.
Honda!

MercedesAMGSpy

Phil wrote:Just wanted to voice my opinion on the Australian GP. It wasn't the most exhilirating races, but having a "boring" race doesn't mean it's boring. The fight between both Mercedes was IMO tense, as the gap fluctuated quite a bit. I at no point took it for granted that Lewis will win this.

These days people must be entertained every minute otherwise it's boring, I have no problem with losing these fans. F1 as a minority sport is fine imo.

Gaz.
Gaz.

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:

These days people must be entertained every minute otherwise it's boring, I have no problem with losing these fans. F1 as a minority sport is fine imo.
Maybe it's a generation thing, my son started watching Top Gun the other day and within 20 minutes he said it was lame and boring and he promptly put Transformers 3 on instead. I think he'd fall asleep watching Jaws...
Forza Jules

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:

Cannot disagree with you

Richard
Richard

Sorry, what was the question? :D

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

The boredom has nothing to do with the racing itself, although I will disagree that there was any tension at the front, or that many genuine battles in the rest of the field. Nico at no point looked a threat to Lewis at all. The problem was that it was such a poor show. As I said before it didn't seem like the FIAs flagship series, it seemed more like a support race of amateurs.
We were almost completely denied any intra-team battles because only Mercedes had 2 cars 'near' each other at any point, and that wasnt really a battle. One Williams, one Ferrari, one McLaren, one Red Bull, No Lotus', FI not close to each other, Saubers not close to each other, Toro Rossos not close to each other.

Im not writing the season off, Australia is usually a rubbish race, but it cant afford to get any worse than this from here on out and we desperately need the 'full' 20 cars.

Phil

I really fail to see the correlation between being the "FIA flagship series" and what kind of show it produces. Flagsheep series has nothing to do with what kind of (battle) spectacle it brings?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Vasconia

I have seen much more boring races than this one with almost no overtakes. Anyone remember the first half of this millenium? or the second half of the 90s?. I have seen races with no overtakes except the ones happened because of the refuelling.

I agree with thee fact that nowadays people need to be entertained every single second like if this was a zoo or circus.

I only miss refuelling which was great to see different strategies and the fact that not always the fattest guy used to start the race from the first position. That was great.

dans79

Vasconia wrote:I have seen much more boring races than this one with almost no overtakes. Anyone remember the first half of this millenium? or the second half of the 90s?. I have seen races with no overtakes except the ones happened because of the refuelling.
Or parts of the 80's where having 11 cars finish the race was an accomplishment.
197 104 103 7

Vasconia

dans79 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:I have seen much more boring races than this one with almost no overtakes. Anyone remember the first half of this millenium? or the second half of the 90s?. I have seen races with no overtakes except the ones happened because of the refuelling.
Or parts of the 80's where having 11 cars finish the race was an accomplishment.
Well though I see what you mean, I dont like the almost total reliability we have had the last years. It adds an extra point of excitement when you have doubts about cars chances to finish a race.