(KVRC15) TF_SP

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
AratzH

Re: (KVRC15) TF_SP

So, I finally got my results from race 3. I can say I am pretty happy with them:
Race2 DF = 5961.81 N Race3 DF = 7519.48 N ~26% increase
Race2 DR = 1638.02 N Race3 DR = 1737.10 N ~6% increase

Quite a step forward. The drag increase I think is due to the last minute changes I had to do due to some compliance issues (plus putting the wrong mirrors which will give me a nice penalty :( )

Anyway I think this puts me in a good position regarding next race and the rule change coming.

Variante, I actually tried JJR's cooling solution and it did give a little advantage, but I think I will go back to my previous cooling solution. Afer some experimentation I think it can work just as good.
Also, did you CFD my car in your mind?? ;) How do you know my rear end works soo good? Actually what really surprised me was the front diffuser/wing performance! Looking at the numbers I would have been in 2nd position last race! Also leads me to think that I might run some really extreme configuration in the low DF tracks.... But I don't think I shoult talk too much about that :P

CAEdevide, I'm glad you like the design. Those VG actually work!

Now some nice pictures:

Race 2 DF distribution

Race 3 DF distribution
MVRC -> TF

CAEdevice

Very good job! You are among the best teams now, with a DF higher than 7000N.

I'm still waiting for the results of my car, but I think you are very close to it.

TalnoRacing

Well done! You obviously put in a lot of work and it paid off.

machin

I'd love to see under the front end of your car; such a smooth looking design, and yet it appears to have a good level of front downforce, looking at the graph.

Will be interesting to see the full race results....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:I'd love to see under the front end of your car; such a smooth looking design, and yet it appears to have a good level of front downforce, looking at the graph.

Will be interesting to see the full race results....
You came to the point! Comparing the DF graph to mine, I noticed a great amount of df where the diffuser begins. Considering that the diffuser section can't be very different from those that have been published, that peak could depend on a greater flow. Maybe all the flow that passes under the front "splitter" goes to the diffuser?

MadMatt
MadMatt

What happened to your entry Aratz? Looked very promising, plus I liked its philosophy. No huge wings Peugeot 905 Evo2-like!

AratzH

Hi Matt,

I just couldn't prepare my entry on time. It is a shame because I lost the oportunity to get valuable information. Next race I promise not to miss!!
MVRC -> TF

MadMatt
MadMatt

Great news. I am interested to see how it goes. Now that you have effectively blocked the front diffuser's exit on the sides (is there anything venting to the top? We cannot say from the pictures you posted hehe). It is a very elegant car, and I like the fact that without a front wing you manage to still get good performance but I think you still lack front downforce. Maybe investigating front diffuser exits more thoroughly might yield good gains, I don't know.

AratzH

Hello all!

Just in time for the Sao Paolo race here is my entry. Few but important changes from round 3. I went back to my original radiator intake/exhaust and managed to get a nice increase in DF (~15% as of my simulations). Also worked in the aero balance (this is the thing I'm having more trouble with). It is impressive how the little cannard I put in the front wheel covers relocated the COP almost 10%!

This time I post pictures from all views, so little gets hidden. I think at this point I is more interesting to show all and have some productive discussion than trying to hide things.

I'll be waiting for your comments!!
MVRC -> TF

CAEdevice

A very realistic LMP1, good job! The appearance is simple and smooth, but the diffuser is very aggressive. Which numbers do you expect?

wesley123
wesley123

This has got to be my favorite one and it's great to see how you developed the concept over the course of the year
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

LVDH

Man I just came back from a long business trip. And seeing your car now, I am very impressed. I hope it will be a top runner. Almost everything I see looks very good. The fences in the diffuser might be a bit simple / according to the books. Lets see where this design lands.

machin

Nice! Looks real smooth, with a particularly clean front end... But do you think you'll hit the COP sweet spot? Most balanced cars we've seen so far have had a multi-element front wing assembly to match the rear diffuser and rear wing... Looking forward to seeing the numbers.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

variante

As usual, your car looks beautiful and elegant (especially from the side). I'm sure it's going to perform very well.

Just two considerations:
> diffuser's "leading edge" might be too wide...unless streamlines in that area actually come inside the diffuser with such an angle.
> the rear wing doesn't really suit the high efficiency requirements for the incoming races.

MadMatt
MadMatt

As the other said, I like the look of it! So you WERE venting over the top, nice to see! I don't have much to say really, its quite like what I would do as well if I were to design a car like this! :D