Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316
f1316

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Am I imagining things or is more slope to the sidepod now?:

Today:

Before:

On second thoughts, I don't think so but definitely more rake.

turbof1

Can we please quite whining about the Halo? It's not a permanent part of the car. Correct topic to discuss: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 4&start=15
#AeroFrodo

turbof1

Again about those test times! People, it's been made clear in the first post that discussion in this topic is limited to the hardware of the car and its function. Speculation about the total car's performance based on something as flimsy as test times, is not applicable here.

I'll move the post about the times later on to the test thread. Normally they'd be removed, but it's not nice to do so every time. However, next time I'll remove such posts again.
#AeroFrodo

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

f300v10
f300v10

Looks like a new position for the tire temp sensor, and trying to get some aero benefit as well.

zioture
zioture

CBeck113
CBeck113

f1316 wrote:Am I imagining things or is more slope to the sidepod now?:

Today:
http://www.newsf1.it/wp-content/uploads ... .2-081.jpg

Before:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cb_JwgdWoAEyjuV.jpg

On second thoughts, I don't think so but definitely more rake.
Not more rake, he's braking into a right turn, so the body is rolling away from the camera, showing more floor
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

zioture
zioture

bhall II
bhall II

:?:

giantfan10
giantfan10

what are those 2 winglets doing there? lol

giantfan10
giantfan10

smhasan7 wrote:
Mr.G wrote:What's nice is that Kimi set this time with "old" airo...
well today is the penultimate day of testing and the only thing we saw aero wise perhaps was the 'halo' joke.

so i guess this is what we're going to see in Melbourne. Nonetheless the time on softs was really encouraging. Would have wiped a few smirks off the Merc garage :)
the aero is not so old... Ferrari are sneakily adding little bits and pieces to the car...
Hear me out on this point...the diffuser produces at least half the downforce that an F1 car generates.
Ferrari has obviously redesigned their car to allow much more air passing over the diffuser which equates to more downforce with minimal drag.
those 2015 wings along with a diffuser that had much less airflow above it was 2 to 3 tenths slower than Mercedes in race pace last season. My point is why should there be a radical departure from front and rear wings when they obviously work?
because Mercedes is bolting on new noses and barge boards?
IMHO this season hinges on if Ferrari can match or surpass Mercedes when the time comes to use qualifying mode and if their engine in race mode can match Mercedes

Mr.G

giantfan10 wrote:
smhasan7 wrote:
well today is the penultimate day of testing and the only thing we saw aero wise perhaps was the 'halo' joke.

so i guess this is what we're going to see in Melbourne. Nonetheless the time on softs was really encouraging. Would have wiped a few smirks off the Merc garage :)
the aero is not so old... Ferrari are sneakily adding little bits and pieces to the car...
Hear me out on this point...the diffuser produces at least half the downforce that an F1 car generates.
Ferrari has obviously redesigned their car to allow much more air passing over the diffuser which equates to more downforce with minimal drag.
those 2015 wings along with a diffuser that had much less airflow above it was 2 to 3 tenths slower than Mercedes in race pace last season. My point is why should there be a radical departure from front and rear wings when they obviously work?
IMHO this season hinges on if Ferrari can match or surpass Mercedes when the time comes to use qualifying mode and if their engine in race mode can match Mercedes
Surely not because of Mercedes doing something (I'm not a fan of the philosophy that winning car is the best solution). But I can not remember which year they introduce old wings on the beginning of the season and stick with them :) They will eventually change them...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

fawe4
fawe4

giantfan10 wrote:
smhasan7 wrote:

Yeah, you're completely off on what you think diffuser brings in terms of downforce. The biggest gain you get from the rear wing. Second biggest from front wing. The rest is miniscule when it comes to pure downforce. Still, it is important when we're talking about lap times, and fiddling with it can bring decisive advantage, so in that way your observations may hold. Just don't go and tell any driver with broken wings that he still has more than half of his downforce left. ;)

bhall II
bhall II

giantfan10 wrote:what are those 2 winglets doing there? lol
I'm curious about the feature within the airbox.

(I guess I assumed that would stick out for others the way it stuck out for me.)
fawe4 wrote:Yeah, you're completely off...
For what it's worth...

giantfan10
giantfan10

bhall II wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:what are those 2 winglets doing there? lol
I'm curious about the feature within the airbox.

(I guess I assumed that would stick out for others the way it stuck out for me.)
fawe4 wrote:Yeah, you're completely off...
For what it's worth...

http://i.cubeupload.com/OhW1a5.png
I saw that too but got distracted by the winglets..... maybe its an air filter of some sort?