BMW Sauber F1.08

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo

Re: New F1.08

Seems like they moved aerobalance to the front. And that protruding front wing with thick profile also suggests that they are also concerned with front weight distribution. I wonder wouldn't it lead to the excessive oversteer and how oversteering attitude combines with lack of throttle control?

bettonracing

timbo wrote:Seems like they moved aerobalance to the front. And that protruding front wing with thick profile also suggests that they are also concerned with front weigth distribution. I wonder wouldn't it lead to the excessive oversteer and how oversteering attitude combines with lack of throttle control?
Keep in mind that last year's bridgestones required relatively forward weight bias. Also remember that what we may speculate from looking at pictures isn't necessarily what is actually happening on the car (performance-wise).

Scooby snacks to BMW for stepping out of the 'box'. =D> Paint it red and I might have to jump ship! :D

Kurt

timbo

bettonracing wrote:Also remember that what we may speculate from looking at pictures isn't necessarily what is actually happening on the car (performance-wise).
That's for sure=)... But that's what lots of us would do anyway;)

ben_watkins

Do you think the thick lower portion of the new wing will carry balast as the Toyota front wing will do?

If so it's gonna be interesting to see nose cone changes in races, if they carry up to 20KG as has been estimated!
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

rkn

what kind of ballast do they use? I'm thniking water especially if they place it inside a wing, but water might also be too light...?!

ben_watkins

I'm guessing lead due to it's very high density - Anyone know if that's right?
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

modbaraban

rkn wrote:what kind of ballast do they use? I'm thniking water especially if they place it inside a wing, but water might also be too light...?!
Using liquids as ballast isn't allowed I think. They use some extra heavy alloy for that (forgot the name of it).
manchild wrote:3-blade front wing, yes, but look how it is attached to nose. Not via first blade like on Mclaren in 2005 but via second element.
Just like:

and

(upper one)

and

PS: really impressed by F1.07 !!! The sideopds are stunning :shock:

DaveKillens

At least lead, or maybe even depleted uranium. Who knows, even gold could qualify as ballast. But ballast has to posess a very high amount of mass to volume. You want to be able to position the ballast in some of the weirdest locations, and it has to be small.
I'm pleased with the look of the new BMW, but concerned about the front suspension fairings (where they join the carbon fiber arms to the chassis). The fairings appear very large and definitely affect airflow.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

bar555

Any links to high - res pictures :?: :?:
(classic question , i know)
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

manchild

bar555 wrote:Any links to high - res pictures :?: :?:
(classic question , i know)

Last edited by manchild on 14 Jan 2008, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

timbo

I have heard somewhere, that ballast blocks are made from tungsten.

MrT
MrT

They do indeed use tungsten.

Principessa

Pictures online in our gallery as well :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/gallery/BMW-Sauber/F108
Last edited by Steven on 10 Feb 2013, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link

bar555

Thanks manchild but I already know the origin site of your pics . Any luck for more and higher res pics :?: :?:
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

megz

Hey, didn't notice the T-Wings/Mid wings until now, CRAZY that was something I put it the concepts thread in the Aero forum :)

Its a very good looking car I'm thinking they may have closed that gap...