Red Bull RB13 TAG Heuer

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DiogoBrand

Re: Red Bull RB13 TAG Heuer

djos wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:I don't see that incredible squatting that people are talking about. If you take a picture from the front and one from behind, it's obvious that the diffuser will look to be much higher from behind. That's simply because the diffuser itself is much bigger this year, not because the rake is higher on low speeds.

it's really obvious when you compare these two images and look at the height of the floor vs the ground in-front of the rear tire - specifically look at the edge of the floor in relation to the bottom of the wheel rim.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5qKtYTWMAAozw3.jpg

http://images.adrivo.com/images/950/q_8 ... 805136.jpg
There clearly is some squatting, I just didn't find it as impressive as people are saying.

dans79

I only know of two types of springs, variable (progressive) and linear rate.
197 104 103 7

PhillipM
PhillipM

Go have a look what happens to a Belleville as it goes over centre (Red bulls favorite heave spring for the past few years)

dans79

PhillipM wrote:Go have a look what happens to a Belleville as it goes over centre (Red bulls favorite heave spring for the past few years)
Are you talking about Belleville washers?
197 104 103 7

PhillipM
PhillipM

Yes.

roon
roon

PhillipM wrote:Go have a look what happens to a Belleville as it goes over centre (Red bulls favorite heave spring for the past few years)
Please describe.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's 1:30am here and I've had too much alcohol, so you'll have to hit google - but basically you can make a spring that goes digressive or even negative spring rate compared to the initial rate/direction using a Belleville. It's the basis of using them as the diaphragm in clutch pressure plates to keep force consistant rather than rate.

munudeges
munudeges

I might have a sneaky outside bet on Red Bull. This car is very different to other cars which have a wide array of aerodynamic elements. Drag is going to be very critical with these cars by virtue of the fact that they are larger, and the tyres are much larger. You can't just take elements off the car later to remedy this.

We'll have to see whether Red Bull add the kind of elements later that other teams have, with this being a minimal car, but I have a feeling something else is going on here.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Drag is actually less critical just by virtue of those two things - the larger wings and tyres, etc, are fixed for every team, which means overall you don't get hurt as much from draggier/less efficient aero pieces for chasing downforce, as there's inherently more drag anyway - hence far more complexity on the cars with little winglets, etc.

munudeges
munudeges

Nope, I'm afraid this isn't going to prove to be the case. The top speed already lost, as well as general straight line performance, needs to be recovered. It also puts much more pressure on engine performance, so anyone hoping these regulations would hurt Mercedes are likely going to be disappointed.

munudeges
munudeges

Certainly, if the outward appearance of this car does not change in the coming days and tests then a lot of other teams are going to have to seriously start asking themselves how Red Bull is generating their downforce............

djos

DiogoBrand wrote: There clearly is some squatting, I just didn't find it as impressive as people are saying.
the impressive part is getting the rear to squat despite shedding ~half the down-force from the rear-wing that would normally be pushing the car down into the track - it's quite counter intuitive & clever.
"In downforce we trust"

f1rules
f1rules

JIndia posted this on autosport forum, here drs is not activated, and sec merc dont use the same rake the rb does, still with drs and a lot more rake, the the rb is as flat or more then the merc, i quess we will see,

SparkyAMG

My guess is that the RB had just gone over a bump and was experiencing some corrective and temporary squatting.

Similar to the photo of the W07 at Suzuka last season that got everybody excited. Extreme circumstances captured on photo at the right time.

Blackout