W wing rumours

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
axle
axle

W wing rumours

It's rumoured that Williams and Renault both have a revolutionary rear wings in development, whihch won't be launched till Oz.

The "W" wing is all that is known...

So the CFD'ers, Aerodynamicists and other clever sods on here...what do you expect, what's within the rules?

I remember the V shaped lower rear wings used for while, could it be a development on this theme? Or could it be a W in shape when viewed from above??

Summations on a postcard please :D
- Axle

PNSD
PNSD

Re: W wing rumours

Probably just what ferrari had last year and what Honda tested at Barcelona.
I doubt it will be a w shape wing with varying chord. so from above they will probably look normal.

zac510
zac510

They seem to just be counting backwards through the alphabet.
No good turn goes unpunished.

joseff

You mean this article?

I would take it with a generous helping of sodium chloride. If it's really as radical as it sounds, surely they'd want maximum testing time instead of simply bolting it on for the Australian GP.

Principessa

Joseff, who says that they aren't testing the W-wing at Menorca? They were there yesterday and today and no cameras nearby. It is possible in my opinion...

Tommy_Fei
Tommy_Fei

A good effect to the car or bad one,let's see at Aus GP
MSN:feichao8@hotmail.com
I want to make some foreign friends!人往往能以道德来弥补智慧上的不足, 但智慧却永远都无法弥补道德的缺陷。

axle
axle

I expect they know that they can run it on friday morning at Oz and withing 10mins know if it works anywhere other than on the drawing board.

Will be interesting to see how the cars look at Oz...what with Red Bull's experimental cover etc :D
- Axle

jaho101

I doubt the W wing is much more than an expansion on what Ferrari and Maclaren have been doing with their curving rear wings. Except , like a common theme now at Renault, they're taking it to extremes.

Giblet
Giblet

I predict it will have a forward swept design, looking like a W from the top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward-swept_wing
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

teecof1fan

I think the regs would limit the 'w' shape from front to back (w from above). I agree with PNSD that it will be like the rear wing Honda (w from the front) tested last week only more extreme.

manchild
manchild

Could it perhaps be this extreme? I had in mind really deep W that would increase overall wingspan allowing team to run blades at lower angle. That would mean same amount of downforce but much less drag since blades would be at lower angle = greater top speed.

Last edited by manchild on 07 Feb 2008, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

manchild
manchild

Perhaps vertical splitter on top or full size midplate

Last edited by manchild on 07 Feb 2008, 16:45, edited 4 times in total.

Sawtooth-spike

Thats what i had in my head 2. I drew it on a peice of paper on my desk as work. Ment to take a picture and put it on here. However i didnt go as radical, i still had Supports under the dips of the W.

I am guessing you would also get an increase in surface area with this design.

on the same concept, i always wanted to see a delta wing under the nose of the car. Mainly cus i think it would look cool
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

MrT
MrT

The lift generated by the aerofoil will be perpendicular to the foil surface because it's pressure based... with the design you suggest although you have more surface area a large component of the lift is not directed vertically but horizontally as well and therefore I'm not sure you would gain much from such a design as opposed to a standard horizontal design. Plus a large section of the wings are not in as clean air flow?

manchild
manchild

Who knows, perhaps some similar shape could make double or triple blade rear wing obsolete in favor of single blade with huge span/surface.

Mr.T, check the rear/upper blades. I thought about design of blades in a fashion - the higher the greater angle, or in other words, the higher the more bended (hope you understand what I'm trying to say).

Once again, I'm not an aero guy :)

Last edited by manchild on 07 Feb 2008, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.