2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

We are last :wtf:

I hope it was just the frustration from the failure wich prevent him from scoring a very well deserved point!

godlameroso

It seems that the problem lies in the transmission/drivetrain/chassis and engine not working well together. Honda and McLaren have to make it work, one does not have to yield to the other. Honda improving the engine alone won't win the championship if the suspension keeps breaking, and the best chassis in the world goes nowhere without a good engine. Sort out problems, and the results will come. McLaren maybe wants to help fix the issue, but Honda is secretive of certain things, and at the same time McLaren is also somewhat secretive of it's technology. Maybe the only way forward is to share those secrets with each other so that they do not become a hindrance in the development of this chassis. Neither team will improve unless they are being honest with each other and accept the blame that they are responsible for. Once things are out in the open and obvious, things will right themselves, otherwise they will continue to shoot themselves in the foot.
Saishū kōnā

Enstone
Enstone

I would rather say not that bad for Maca today !
Alonso was 10 during almost all the race, in front of FI & Renault, so not a bad result at all considering that they still have to cope with their multiple problems about the PU/vibrations.
If they managed to do proper modifications on the engine, then they will be able to have a good pace and Alonso/Vandoorne will make the rest :)

JonoNic

GoranF1 wrote:
JuanjoTS wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 16:36
GoranF1 wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 16:31
How long do you follow F1?
Then he will ask for my autograph and I will not sign it ...
Mark Webber said today Alonso is leaving Mclaren very soon.
I hope that is not true. Then Button will most likely finish the season in a missile!
Always find the gap then use it.

GoranF1
GoranF1

godlameroso wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 17:51
It seems that the problem lies in the transmission/drivetrain/chassis and engine not working well together. Honda and McLaren have to make it work, one does not have to yield to the other. Honda improving the engine alone won't win the championship if the suspension keeps breaking, and the best chassis in the world goes nowhere without a good engine. Sort out problems, and the results will come. McLaren maybe wants to help fix the issue, but Honda is secretive of certain things, and at the same time McLaren is also somewhat secretive of it's technology. Maybe the only way forward is to share those secrets with each other so that they do not become a hindrance in the development of this chassis. Neither team will improve unless they are being honest with each other and accept the blame that they are responsible for. Once things are out in the open and obvious, things will right themselves, otherwise they will continue to shoot themselves in the foot.
Because of Honda suspension brake ducts and such were not properly tested....they will make it eventualy, Mclaren and Honda but in a looong time from now and whiout Alonso.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

etusch

godlameroso wrote:
I think they both have nothing to hide from anyone :mrgreen: :lol:

Joke
I dont know if they hiding but youre right
Last edited by etusch on 26 Mar 2017, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

Chicane
Chicane

godlameroso wrote:
The suspension hasn't kept on breaking.

This is the fact
Eric Boullier
“Fernando’s car suffered a damaged left-front brake duct early on, but he nonetheless drove a prodigiously impressive race, wringing every last tenth-of-a-second from a compromised car on every lap, and at one stage a points finish looked to be a possibility for him.

“Tantalisingly close to the end of the race, however, the damage on his car developed into a terminal problem, the floor having become irreparably broken, forcing him to drive back to the garage and retire.
Quickshifter

Chicane
Chicane

Testing is needed to understand the loads and torsional forces experienced by various mechanicals under full load of fuel over a race distance. This becomes even more critical as there are bigger heavier tires and higher G forces because of new regulations. It is commendable that Mclaren have zeroed in on a decent setup so soon because of the excellent correlation they have managed to develop over the last 2 years.

The problem Honda are facing in my opinion is that their inability to pickup issues on the test bed. I am not saying all the issues can be picked up on a dyno but a modern 7 post rig can at least pick up basic stuff. Honda have the resources to turn it around but i feel they are responding a bit slowly to the issues at hand. They are more often reacting to the issues arising instead of being proactive. I hope they have enough data generated over the weekend which will help them clean up the rough edge of this spec software wise and will put the learning towards the up coming spec.
Quickshifter

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 18:04
godlameroso wrote:
Because of Honda suspension brake ducts and such were not properly tested....they will make it eventualy, Mclaren and Honda but in a looong time from now and whiout Alonso.
I agree, they put the mileage over the 1st race weekend that they would have at test 2. The next race is the same amount of time as the time after the last test. So next race McLaren Chassis no more excuses.

That being said. my Lincoln MkZ handles like a F1 car at 20KPH, not sure I'd say the same at 200KPH.

Chicane
Chicane

diffuser wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 18:18
GoranF1 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
I agree, they put the mileage over the 1st race weekend that they would have at test 2. The next race is the same amount of time as the time after the last test. So next race McLaren Chassis no more excuses.

That being said. my Lincoln MkZ handles like a F1 car at 20KPH, not sure I'd say the same at 200KPH.
The brake duct damage could be due to an impact earlier on in the race. We do not know.
Quickshifter

GoranF1
GoranF1

Chicane wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 18:20
diffuser wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 18:18
GoranF1 wrote:

The brake duct damage could be due to an impact earlier on in the race. We do not know.
During FP1 the mechanics were working on Alonso's front left brake duct and suspension for quite a long time, he went out very late in first practice.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 17:42
SR71 wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 00:37
JuanjoTS wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 20:32
Only the best driver is able to arrive with chances of being champion to the last race having a boycott of his boss throughout the championship, that is ALO, id yielding to his feet because McHonda has the best pilot of the whole grid.
Mass Damper
Do you mean that damper wich was inside the bodywork and was banned arguing it was an aerodinamic device? #-o
It means ... double diffuser, blowing of exhaust, engine helped by the reliability ......

FW17

Alonso is about 1.1 sec/lap behind Massa

Honda should be able to overhaul that difference by Canada

I hope Mclaren has a third chassis and a test team ready to be sent to Sakura by May. Nobody will care if the car is run on bridgestone tyres with Superformula wings

Sonador
Sonador

Today showed how good a driver Alonso actually is.
It is very special to watch his fighting spirit in the car, the statements towards te media on the other hand are brutal.
But are understandable.

I have to say, i am also imppressed with Honda, not on a performance point of view, but relliability wise.
They could not complete a race distance in testing a couple of weeks ago, but could finish this race.
That is impressive in my book.

I wonder why the Mclaren Honda project does not seem to work, you read all sorts of things.
And as a fan it is worrying from time to time.

I will keep faith in Mclaren and in Honda, they are both awesome, with lots of talented and humble people working for them
Hopefully there is light at the end of this very dark tunnel.

Goran2812
Goran2812

The project does not work because the Japanese have too much pride to ask for external help and are thousands of miles away from McLaren HQ where the chassis is made and everything put together. Today, when the competition is brutal, it just can't work. They just can't seem to understand that...

EDIT: some smartass decided to rate my post negatively and this was his reasoning: "Engineering success does not depend on where things are manufactured, nor peoples pride. It´s experience and testing what counts"... #-o
Last edited by Goran2812 on 27 Mar 2017, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1