2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Thunder

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Yeah the word racist is used faaar to often without to much thought put into it nowadays. All across the Internet. It's almost a Meme in some places. Very sad sometimes. It's not racist to point out cultural differences.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Thunder

Jef Patat wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 10:43

I tried to find info about that one as well be in vain. Might be related to the suspension failure?
Could summarize it any better better. Though my feeling for the next race will still be the same. (fear)
Was there really a suspension failure? I know it was talked about but then the EB Interview came up and he only talked about Brake Duct and Floor.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Depends on the source, Fernando thought it was a suspension failure, after that suspension did not get mentioned anymore.

Alonso then retired to the pits with what he suspected was a suspension problem. McLaren later ascribed Alonso's retirement to floor damage.
Alonso then retired to the pits with what he suspected was a suspension problem. McLaren later ascribed Alonso's retirement to floor damage.

max_speed
max_speed

Vasconia wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 09:15
Alonso´s performance in Australia was superb, what a shame he ended with a DNA.

Anyway I must praise Honda´s improvement. Yes, the PU is stil subpar but only two weeks ago they couldn´t make more than laps 15 and today both drivers could have completed the full race and not being the worst ones. Kudos for them because this is a real and important improvement.
with all due respect Honda's progress across years have been visible only to Honda, not to the normal spectator.
we can see that chassis is not bad. Alonso kept the car in race for a very long period , fending off Mercedes and Renault powered cars (only his talent + chassis combination can be the reason).I am damn sure Alonso will not see off full season in McLaren-Honda. I guess he will wait till May at max, wait for last false promise from "Honda" to arrive and "fail" miserably again in full view of public and call it a day.

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

Who is opposed to honda supplying other teams?
Whose fault is the meager mileage?
We can all play to blame each other, but, that's the way to get to fight for championships?
How many brake ducts have broken MER or FER?
What do wind tunnels and physical simulators serve to study the forces of compression, torsion, and fatigue?
For Honda is not excuse formula but if for McLaren?
Nasty fights are not the way to get to fight for titles, that must end NOW
Last edited by JuanjoTS on 27 Mar 2017, 11:22, edited 2 times in total.

Vasconia

max_speed wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 10:57
Vasconia wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 09:15
Alonso´s performance in Australia was superb, what a shame he ended with a DNA.

Anyway I must praise Honda´s improvement. Yes, the PU is stil subpar but only two weeks ago they couldn´t make more than laps 15 and today both drivers could have completed the full race and not being the worst ones. Kudos for them because this is a real and important improvement.
with all due respect Honda's progress across years have been visible only to Honda, not to the normal spectator.
we can see that chassis is not bad. Alonso kept the car in race for a very long period , fending off Mercedes and Renault powered cars (only his talent + chassis combination can be the reason).I am damn sure Alonso will not see off full season in McLaren-Honda. I guess he will wait till May at max, wait for last false promise from "Honda" to arrive and "fail" miserably again in full view of public and call it a day.
I was only speaking about the progress made in those two weeks.

In 2016 Honda made a clear progress which was not that dificult because the starting point was the terrible 2015 PU.

I think Alonso will wait until May and then he will decide what to do. It would be really shocking to see him leaving the sport.

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

The consumption of the engine is horrible, the power is scarce, things that can be solved.
The McLaren chassis is no wonder, but McLaren has proven that it is capable of creating very good parts in a very short time.
The flaws of this car are not those of 2015 nor those of 2016, there is much potential in this car.
The worst and most ridiculous is to see how they blame each other, that if it can lead to failure.

max_speed
max_speed

Vasconia wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 11:21
In 2016 Honda made a clear progress which was not that dificult because the starting point was the terrible 2015 PU.
I think Alonso will wait until May and then he will decide what to do. It would be really shocking to see him leaving the sport.
I am almost 100% sure , Alonso is about to leave sport. he will be mentally annoyed after watching Ferrari win that race.
with Honda everyone's patience is just running out.
i would prefer to see his walking away gracefully than being ridiculed by the performance of that "crap" piece of "power of dreams".
enough is enough , he deserves to fight with vettel and Hamilton and not to be in company of stroll and ericsson.
I would prefer him to call quit and inflict last blow to "Honda" brand. they deserve disrepute.
Last edited by max_speed on 27 Mar 2017, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

Singabule
Singabule

I feel confused with negative rating, Vandorne confirm that they tested many thing in engine and car setting. That would explain good stint at the end of race for 7 lap. Surely fuel is enough for full power. Up and down so he can safe fuel, mitigate dirty air from sauber and other car.

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 06:08
ispano6 wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 03:21
Goran2812 wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 21:06
The project does not work because the Japanese have too much pride to ask for external help and are thousands of miles away from McLaren HQ where the chassis is made and everything put together. Today, when the competition is brutal, it just can't work. They just can't seem to understand that...
Really is it a "Japanese" thing. That sounds pretty racist to me. I think Eric Boullier and Zak Brown have mentioned, accurately, it is a Honda thing. A Soichiro Honda thing. There is a very famous speech Soichiro Honda made about NOT copying others, about NOT hiring outside help, and that failure is necessary to learn.
Careful, ironically I got dinged for that before. I agree with you it is racist.
As Thunders said pointing out cultural differences is not racism, far from that. Anyone thinking a japaneese and a spanish or german will approach a problem in a similar way must be living on a different dimension. Obviously generalizing is a quick way to make a mistake, there will be exceptions everywhere, but we can´t ignore the cultural differences.

But assuming the way of doing things in your environement is the only proper way to do things and anyone who do it differently is wrong surely has a proper definition, arrogance

IMHO if Honda is not succeeding (yet) the reason is simple, a late entry mixed with testing ban and development restrictions, and thinking it´s the cultural differences what is harming Honda instead of this IMHO is utterly absurd

Singabule
Singabule

Andres125sx wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 12:19
diffuser wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 06:08
ispano6 wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 03:21

Really is it a "Japanese" thing. That sounds pretty racist to me. I think Eric Boullier and Zak Brown have mentioned, accurately, it is a Honda thing. A Soichiro Honda thing. There is a very famous speech Soichiro Honda made about NOT copying others, about NOT hiring outside help, and that failure is necessary to learn.
Careful, ironically I got dinged for that before. I agree with you it is racist.
As Thunders said pointing out cultural differences is not racism, far from that. Anyone thinking a japaneese and a spanish or german will approach a problem in a similar way must be living on a different dimension. Obviously generalizing is a quick way to make a mistake, there will be exceptions everywhere, but we can´t ignore the cultural differences.

But assuming the way of doing things in your environement is the only proper way to do things and anyone who do it differently is wrong surely has a proper definition, arrogance

IMHO if Honda is not succeeding (yet) the reason is simple, a late entry mixed with testing ban and development restrictions, and thinking it´s the cultural differences what is harming Honda instead of this IMHO is utterly absurd
Agree. Some people just overly complicate their thinking. Not good for your health :mrgreen:

Andres125sx

Singabule wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 06:58
GoranF1 wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 21:29
What was Vandorne doing in the last stint? Very slow lap- faster than Alonso...slow-fast.....
https://twitter.com/F1sMyDrug/status/846080560732753925
Simple, full power of honda and no fuel saving. They want to see is there is Any parts broke on full power. Seems good to be honest
If Vandoorne fastest laps would be faster than Alonso consistent laps, then I´d agree, but not the case. Also, Alonso said they were loosing 1 second per lap due to fuel saving, so those fast laps from Stofel should be around 1 second (minus Alonso-Stofel gap) faster. Since I don´t think Alonso is 8-9 tenths faster, I can´t agree with you

JonoNic

max_speed wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
I am almost 100% sure , Alonso is about to leave sport. he will be mentally annoyed after watching Ferrari win that race.
i would prefer to see his walking away gracefully than being ridiculed by the performance of that "crap" piece of "power of dreams".
enough is enough , he deserves to fight with vettel and Hamilton and not to be in company of stroll and ericsson.
I would prefer him to call quit and inflict last blow to "Honda" brand. they deserve disrepute.
If Alonso leaves and the PU improves drastically then he only has himself to blame or he makes a good decision. No one can change his mind if he's in this mood.
Always find the gap then use it.

Singabule
Singabule

Andres125sx wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 12:24
Singabule wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 06:58
GoranF1 wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 21:29
What was Vandorne doing in the last stint? Very slow lap- faster than Alonso...slow-fast.....
https://twitter.com/F1sMyDrug/status/846080560732753925
Simple, full power of honda and no fuel saving. They want to see is there is Any parts broke on full power. Seems good to be honest
If Vandoorne fastest laps would be faster than Alonso consistent laps, then I´d agree, but not the case. Also, Alonso said they were loosing 1 second per lap due to fuel saving, so those fast laps from Stofel should be around 1 second (minus Alonso-Stofel gap) faster. Since I don´t think Alonso is 8-9 tenths faster, I can´t agree with you
Its engine mapping. How will happen if you instruct alonso to up the engine, and then blow up? Compared to Vandorne? I chose Vandorne to did it. The poin for my post, power is there! Just dare to use it? :mrgreen: I would take every Hasegawa Word that deficit to merc is 9kmh only. He is very accountable and transparent person, not like Abiteaboul
Last edited by Singabule on 27 Mar 2017, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

Vasconia

max_speed wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 12:06
Vasconia wrote:
This move would damage Honda and McLaren a lot. It would be bad even for F1.