2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Jef Patat wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 11:43
mclaren111 wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 11:01
F1 Technical Race analysis:
On the chassis side, the car is also very hard to control, its balance is completely unpredictable. The drivers have to cope with understeer on the exit, but also with sudden rear instability.
Lots & Lots of hard work ahead.
Who is this guy writing that an based on what information. The footage I saw showed a very drivable car. He was able to fight in the corners in a very decent way. Also interviews confirm the car is solid in corners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBt9UyaxD9g
Balazs Szabo - see article

https://www.f1technical.net/news/21236

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Yea ok, I can read ;-)

But who is he really? I mean, what is his reputation to make such statements without any reference? Or is he just a nobody as we are?

diffuser

I don't get how they ship a PU from Japan and they can't do more than 2 laps before a water leak.

Thunder

So apparently the Engine that made a whopping 2 laps was a Brand new Unit fresh from Sakura with Updates they wanted to test......
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... ps-of-test
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

BrunoH
BrunoH

jesus... i think its all over for Honda.. Mclaren must make a move to save next year... just cut the cancer out of the Mclaren, ask for a big compensation from Honda for all the damages and go with mercedes..... end of story.. sure they wont fight for wins but at least mix it up with the top 4 next year. not the last 3.

max_speed
max_speed

Thunders wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 14:05
So apparently the Engine that made a whopping 2 laps was a Brand new Unit fresh from Sakura with Updates they wanted to test......
you seriously gotta be kidding mate.. fresh engine with upgrades sees same fate as old spec. what are they testing on bench. looks like some novice engineers working on upgrades without any test plan in place

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

max_speed wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 14:18
Thunders wrote:
you seriously gotta be kidding mate.. fresh engine with upgrades sees same fate as old spec. what are they testing on bench. looks like some novice engineers working on upgrades without any test plan in place
ERS (MGU-H most likely) problems again by the looks of it, so I don't think you can really blame the new engine spec for this one. It's a water leak, so guess they have no choice but to replace the entire PU.

max_speed
max_speed

taperoo2k wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 14:35
max_speed wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 14:18
Thunders wrote:
ERS (MGU-H most likely) problems again by the looks of it, so I don't think you can really blame the new engine spec for this one. It's a water leak, so guess they have no choice but to replace the entire PU.
my point is what kind of testing they are doing in sakura before shipping the unit. i think honda must be axed with immediate effect.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

JuanjoTS wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 15:38
I think Honda is wrong more in the way of doing things than in PU. It is not tolerable that by a hydraulic leak they are one day without rolling in the tests. They should have changed the engine in 15 min (create a system / method to quickly change the pieces) the car to roll the maximum and that they watch what they want but with the motor on top of a bench.
They should hire you. Just copy/paste a new engine. #-o

BrunoH
BrunoH

given the incredible unreliability, they should have a second engine fully mounted on the back of a second car, and just change the entire back-end and swap the entire thing already pre-assembled... in order to cut time... or is that not even allowed for some odd reason!?!?

marvin78
marvin78

Only one chassis is allowed.

Redragon

Jef Patat wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 15:57
JuanjoTS wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 15:38
I think Honda is wrong more in the way of doing things than in PU. It is not tolerable that by a hydraulic leak they are one day without rolling in the tests. They should have changed the engine in 15 min (create a system / method to quickly change the pieces) the car to roll the maximum and that they watch what they want but with the motor on top of a bench.
They should hire you. Just copy/paste a new engine. #-o
JuanjoTS can you hung a picture on your wall in less of 15 min? on level? it is just one screw. So imaging changing the entire engine?

godlameroso

6 laps on the board now, no time set. Any updates or did this new engine fail as well?
Last edited by godlameroso on 18 Apr 2017, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

max_speed
max_speed

Looks like full day of testing is lost. i think alonso might not even turn up for next race :D . its better for him to practice more for indy than to come down and retire car in every session

godlameroso

They can run at night, there's lights at the track, and tomorrow as well.
Saishū kōnā