2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

That's 8 hours in, Ferrari done 93 laps, Sauber 90 and McLaren, 6 with no time set.

ouch

Winterapfel
Winterapfel

Pirelli will run an additional hour, due to the issues earlier today. If McLaren would request the same, would the other teams feel sorry for them and agree? Or would the other back markers object?

HPD

Winterapfel wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 16:43
Pirelli will run an additional hour, due to the issues earlier today. If McLaren would request the same, would the other teams feel sorry for them and agree? Or would the other back markers object?
I think that only vettel will run for three more hours, because he had motor problems.. This is unfair and mclaren??

Nuvolari

Guys and girls, I extracted the speeds from the telemetry overlay in some of the onboards from qualifying in China, and plotted them:

Hamilton's lap was the pole lap, Hulkenberg's was the Q3 one, Vettel was the first run in Q3 so he lost a bit of time in the 2nd half of the lap, and Alonso's is the Q2 one. Unfortunately only half the laps from both Alonso and Hulkenberg.

I found turn 7 pretty interesting, as it's where the chassis is having some sustained high speed cornering. The Mercedes and Ferrari had a similar cornering speeds, whereas the McLaren was slightly better than the Renault. So, even with this PU the McLaren is running more peak downforce than the Renault? The McLaren was showing better apex speeds on turn 9 too, than the Renault. Very interesting if the PU improves.

The Renault is better than the McLaren in the low speed corners however, and this looks like the McLaren's weak spot. Ferrari looks the best in the turns 1-4 sequence, the speed its carrying through T1 is impressive. What do you guys think?

santos
santos

HPD wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 17:55
Winterapfel wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 16:43
I think that only vettel will run for three more hours, because he had motor problems.. This is unfair and mclaren??
It's not because he had problems. Vettel is testing the prototype tyre for 2018. Mclaren had the all day to run. The same as everyone.

Chicane
Chicane

When in season testing is so limited writing off majority of the day's running due to a PU breaking down after 2 laps is simply unacceptable. Now today's failure is also because Honda came late to the party is it :roll: ? What is worrying me is the fact that how are these units being signed off for running when they are breaking down after a lap or 2? Aren't their stringent quality checks in place? I can understand if it was an one one off but 4 break down on Grandprix weekend and another one after doing 2 laps. What is happening is totally unacceptable for any manufacturer. Mclaren have become the laughing stock of the paddock all because of Honda. Having reliability issues is understandable but this on another level where Honda themselves have no clue neither about the causative factors and the solutions.
Quickshifter

shady
shady

A water leak is a chassis/installation issue. Lets not be dramatic.

Alonso Fan

My expectations are so low that I'm not even surprised anymore
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

Redragon wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 16:31
Jef Patat wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 15:57
JuanjoTS wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 15:38
I think Honda is wrong more in the way of doing things than in PU. It is not tolerable that by a hydraulic leak they are one day without rolling in the tests. They should have changed the engine in 15 min (create a system / method to quickly change the pieces) the car to roll the maximum and that they watch what they want but with the motor on top of a bench.
They should hire you. Just copy/paste a new engine. #-o
JuanjoTS can you hung a picture on your wall in less of 15 min? on level? it is just one screw. So imaging changing the entire engine?
15 min is a way of talking, if they should improve in that aspect, it is not tolerable to change 2 engines cost 8 hours in an F1 team. There must be a way to get closer to 15 minutes than at 8 hours, it takes 2 seconds to change wheels while in a workshop costs more than an hour. When you create a piece you have to think about the ease of substitution, something that is thought too little.
PD: With the right tools I hang a picture in 2 seconds.
Last edited by JuanjoTS on 18 Apr 2017, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Not a single word from Hasegawa after test?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

godlameroso

Chicane wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 18:38
When in season testing is so limited writing off majority of the day's running due to a PU breaking down after 2 laps is simply unacceptable. Now today's failure is also because Honda came late to the party is it :roll: ? What is worrying me is the fact that how are these units being signed off for running when they are breaking down after a lap or 2? Aren't their stringent quality checks in place? I can understand if it was an one one off but 4 break down on Grandprix weekend and another one after doing 2 laps. What is happening is totally unacceptable for any manufacturer. Mclaren have become the laughing stock of the paddock all because of Honda. Having reliability issues is understandable but this on another level where Honda themselves have no clue neither about the causative factors and the solutions.
Hey if they can assemble engines from the factory with backwards thrust washers, who knows.

Saishū kōnā

mrluke
mrluke

Nuvolari wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 18:29
Guys and girls, I extracted the speeds from the telemetry overlay in some of the onboards from qualifying in China, and plotted them:
How did you extract the data?

Looks like the Mercedes data could be stretched a little bit to the right but otherwise is very interesting! Doesn't appear to be much different between Mclaren Honda and Renault, very evenly matched.

Redragon

JuanjoTS wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 19:22
Redragon wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 16:31
Jef Patat wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 15:57

They should hire you. Just copy/paste a new engine. #-o
JuanjoTS can you hung a picture on your wall in less of 15 min? on level? it is just one screw. So imaging changing the entire engine?
15 min is a way of talking, if they should improve in that aspect, it is not tolerable to change 2 engines cost 8 hours in an F1 team. There must be a way to get closer to 15 minutes than at 8 hours, it takes 2 seconds to change wheels while in a workshop costs more than an hour. When you create a piece you have to think about the ease of substitution, something that is thought too little.
PD: With the right tools I hang a picture in 2 seconds.
2 sec on level, not change but feel free to share a video of it

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

It is forbidden to feed the troll ;-)

GoranF1
GoranF1

From this day on, things will start to improve, tomorrow will be a good day PU will show reliability and improved performance.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."