Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
etusch

Re: Honda Power Unit

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 17:25
godlameroso wrote:
21 Apr 2017, 17:02
Here's a nice little tidbit, the current combustion concept was the version designed by the now departed Gillies Simon.
Nope. That is not true. Based on the information I read Gilles Simon had nothing to do with designing anything. He was an advisor .
I think Honda's new open minded approach is not using someone else's design or concept. They just take technical information and doing it themselves again. They will left just re inventing things Which already invented. This is just my opinion. I don't know 😁

MrPotatoHead

It seems like a lot of people are damning Honda to failure before they have a chance to redeem themselves.
Very rarely are things fixed overnight. Give them some time.

I do know that the team has some upgraded cooling parts on the way though so maybe they found some things.

McHonda
McHonda

Reliability fix with the MGU-H coming for Russia too.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... ia-897597/

dren

That's a little bit different article than was originally written after the tests. It seemed like Honda didn't have an idea why the MGUH was suddenly reliable. Mr. Potato said he knows some cooling parts are on the way, so perhaps they are related. I'm guessing they had some coolant circuit seal failures?
Honda!

godlameroso

Vandoorne's car was reported to have a water leak as the cause of his non start. Perhaps more flexible coolant pipes?
Saishū kōnā

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

I also think that extra testing allowed for Honda would be fair and enough for them to catch up (if they can't with that...). If potential aero/frame development is an issue for other teams, then fix a "raced parts only" policy.

Actually I would advocate for free public testing every Monday and/or Tuesday after a race.

daverdfw
daverdfw

I wish F1 would adapt the MotoGP rules around development. They have have a system where if you are new manuf. then you basically get unlimited development until you hit a certain threshold of points based on finishing position. I can't imagine any new engine manufacture wanting to get involved with F1 after seeing what Honda has been dealing with.

this article has more info http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp/ ... s-summary/

MrPotatoHead

godlameroso wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 19:45
Vandoorne's car was reported to have a water leak as the cause of his non start. Perhaps more flexible coolant pipes?
More to it than that. All I can say though.

HPD

Glamorous: Mercedes will help Honda, Red Bull contrast

The Japanese House would accept the idea of ​​using external consultancy to enhance the power of its own power unit: Mercedes will be assisted by the Mercedes that is willing to sell Honda's technology on the electronic front and ...

As anticipated after the tests in Bahrain, Honda has decided to accept external consultations to try to solve the problems affecting its power unit. An already unexpected news, but nothing compared to the name of the facility that will provide the support needed by Japanese technicians: the Mercedes!

Between the two parties all the details of the counseling were defined (in the paddock it is said that it will be mainly focused on the electronic and hybrid front) but there is an unexpected clutter that must be overcome before the operation becomes operational.

This would be possible because in the intentions of the new rules the engines should not have a power gap greater than 3% compared to a reference track such as that of Barcelona. The FIA, therefore, would be evaluating the data collected in the first three GPs of the season: if there was a scissors greater than 3% (and between Mercedes and Honda is much bigger!) The Federation could take action with Equalize the values.

An adversary team (shown in Red Bull Racing) does not seem to be in favor of this partnership, appealing to intellectual property (the same as preventing it from selling a chassis to another team) even in the case of knowledge transfer on the front of the power unit.

But in fact this is an unusual case, and will be analyzed in the Strategy Group scheduled today.

It seems, however, that Red Bull has little hope of blocking the deal, as the Honda's stay in Formula 1 is dancing. In contravention of their guidelines, Japanese technicians have been humbled by accepting a solution for them Not easy, but that would ensure a future for a project that today is actually on a dead track.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/clamo ... ia-897520/

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

daverdfw wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 21:12
I wish F1 would adapt the MotoGP rules around development. They have have a system where if you are new manuf. then you basically get unlimited development until you hit a certain threshold of points based on finishing position. I can't imagine any new engine manufacture wanting to get involved with F1 after seeing what Honda has been dealing with.

this article has more info http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp/ ... s-summary/
I like the sound of this. However, I foresee major manufacturers complaining quite heavily about it.

NathanE
NathanE

Or running a second back marker team to do additional testing and development.

nzjrs

NathanE wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 21:55
Or running a second back marker team to do additional testing and development.
That already happens.

godlameroso

MrPotatoHead wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 21:30
godlameroso wrote:
You've already said too much, now people will get ideas. :-$
Saishū kōnā

MrPotatoHead

godlameroso wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 22:13
MrPotatoHead wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 21:30
godlameroso wrote:
You've already said too much, now people will get ideas. :-$
Haha i don't have to say anything at all for people around here to get their own ideas ;-)

godlameroso

What I mean is that people will start thinking you're some sort of insider and then all hell will break loose.
Saishū kōnā