Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Re: Honda Power Unit

Unfortunately most improvement awards are only relevant for kindergartners and not Formula 1 teams.

JonoNic

Cold Fussion wrote:Unfortunately most improvement awards are only relevant for kindergartners and not Formula 1 teams.
With all due respect. That is a dumb statement. If you don't improve the most then you can't get to the front.
Always find the gap then use it.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

But you can improve the most and still be at the back. Depends on the starting point.

hudnut
hudnut

If you are at the back and don't improve the most, you will never be at the front.

etusch

İf you are back and if you can not improve faster than fronts but front running teams reach the point that they have no room to improve anymore then you can catch them 😁

Andres125sx

Jef Patat wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 12:00
But you can improve the most and still be at the back. Depends on the starting point.
The starting point was set in 2015, so once we all know how low it was, what do you think should be the target for 2016 and 2017 seasons? Improving the most :P , constantly, until they reach the top. And that´s what they did in 2016. Now in 2017 we still need some more patience before judging

I can´t wait for the mkII 2017 PU, I´m not expecting they will sudenly fight with Ferrari, but I think they should become constant Q3 cars, and once they can compete with the new PU performing as it should, then they´ll be able to develop the new concept further to hopefully make a very good step forward in perfomance for mkIII PU, and who knows how they will perform then, because the chassis is receiving more and more praises each GP so it does look very good.

If Honda manage to solve this early problems and start performing decently with the revised PU, I´m still optimistic about McHonda

proteus

GhostF1 wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 05:43
Redragon wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 03:50
GhostF1 wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 08:25

Reductio ad absurdum...

The damage to both brands, the diminished trust from fans, the ridicule endured from competitors... All at the hope they could get a glimpse at a rivals blueprints??? Apart from being completely unlike Honda, it's too uncertain a result for them to hang all that on it.
It's all speculation so far and Honda are a proud company, they would be hurting badly from all of this. I expect nothing but them to throw everything at it to fix it. They could never turn the other way now. It's been one of the most publicly embarrassing scenario's for a manufacturer in the last couple of years in sporting history, there really is no other option other than to just go all out.
I think the progress Honda did last year with the size 0 design it was not embarrasing at all, they were more powerful than Ferrari 2015 pu with 2 years less of development.
I completely agree with you. Their progress has been outstanding, and even this year with an entirely new concept, they are still well ahead of anyone else with the same timeframe. The issue is the majority of the public won't see or know any of this behind the scenes...
For a majority of viewers they will only see the breakdowns and the bulls**t the media spins...
It's sad really.
The problem is that their progress from themself is not bringing points. This is basically a third year in a row where the started from scratch and third year in a row the whole thing isnt giving enough power or reliability. Last year everything looked like they set the course in the right way, but this year again they look like they are just drifting in the ocean left to the mercy of the sea. 4th race and allready penalties are in effect, the whole picture looks like a 2015 season all over again - Vandoorne could not start the race, Q3 is unreachable, the engine is too weak with electric deployment too short, engine is too thirsty, engine is again unreliable, and points are again out of the reach...

It would be the time they make a media silence period like Ferrari did it during the testing and stop predicting how the countermeasures and updates will boost the performance. They should deliver first and talk later.

I cant express how very much dissapointed i am in this season. I endoured the 2015, i got optimistic in 2016 with their glimpses of performance, but this year it is just not happening jet again and i was far from expecting victories but i seriously presumed they will be in points constantly... I wont stop cheering for Mclaren but it is just paintfull to watch what has happened with the team i support.

What good does it make if Honda makes massive gains over themself if this gains are far from the competitors?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

Andres125sx wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 12:56
Jef Patat wrote:
The starting point was set in 2015, so once we all know how low it was, what do you think should be the target for 2016 and 2017 seasons? Improving the most :P , constantly, until they reach the top. And that´s what they did in 2016. Now in 2017 we still need some more patience before judging

I can´t wait for the mkII 2017 PU, I´m not expecting they will sudenly fight with Ferrari, but I think they should become constant Q3 cars, and once they can compete with the new PU performing as it should, then they´ll be able to develop the new concept further to hopefully make a very good step forward in perfomance for mkIII PU, and who knows how they will perform then, because the chassis is receiving more and more praises each GP so it does look very good.

If Honda manage to solve this early problems and start performing decently with the revised PU, I´m still optimistic about McHonda
It all smells like 2015 all over again for me. I might be very pessimistic and gloomy, but i just dont believe them anymore. Like i wrote it in previous comment, they should deliver an improvement first and talk later. Now we get a lot of chatter and little results.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

shingles
shingles

proteus wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 13:00

It all smells like 2015 all over again for me. I might be very pessimistic and gloomy, but i just dont believe them anymore. Like i wrote it in previous comment, they should deliver an improvement first and talk later. Now we get a lot of chatter and little results.

The funning thing is, most of the chatter is from the media. The articles are the same 5 quotes, parsed 15 different ways, to write 50 articles.

I guess I don't know what some are expecting. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Could they have been better prepared for testing this year? YES. And you know what? I bet you they learned a lesson... more D and less R in R&D. I wonder how those that are so negative will feel when the team starts to push up the grid.

tom101
tom101

New turbo and mgu-k for Vandoorne,

Well done

Honda will go back to conservative soft,

KingHamilton01

proteus wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 13:00
Andres125sx wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 12:56
Jef Patat wrote:

I am inclined to follow your lead and I was thinking that it is getting towards the point that this engine is worse than the one seen in 2015 when you add up all the reliability issues. Very depressed as to see McLaren in this situation and pain's me to be realistic to say that there progress this season won't be enough, to many promises from Honda and no proof they have the knowledge or confidence to know that engine is going to be where they want.

Before the season started I was hoping McLaren would be in the mix for podiums and I said if that didn't happen then Honda have failed. Honda don't seem able to Fix the reliability or deliver the performance that McLaren desperately need, Part of me want's to give Honda a chance to see what they can deliver later in the year.

Then to compound all of it Mercedes have probably already said no to supplying McLaren engines in future.
McLaren Mercedes

tcooper27
tcooper27

Can we stay on topic? I'm getting tired of having to sift through all the crying every time I come here.

harjan
harjan

Honda is ready to supply up to 3 teams in 2018. Brilliant move by McLaren- the more teams with a Honda engine the better their relative performance. They should offer it for free to the entire grid! :wink:

daniellammers
daniellammers

harjan wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 18:03
Honda is ready to supply up to 3 teams in 2018. Brilliant move by McLaren- the more teams with a Honda engine the better their relative performance. They should offer it for free to the entire grid! :wink:
Keeping in mind McLaren blocked Honda from supplying Red Bull with engines because then the advantage of being the only team with Honda engines would be gone. They're really thinking differently now. Could be because RB is a top team though.
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

etusch

daniellammers wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 20:30
harjan wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 18:03
Keeping in mind McLaren blocked Honda from supplying Red Bull with engines because then the advantage of being the only team with Honda engines would be gone. They're really thinking differently now. Could be because RB is a top team though.
I am sure that if RBR would use Honda engine in 2016 RBR would be faster than Mclaren and this was what they didn't want to see.