Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Perhaps Ferrari have a suspension system that is different enough from Mercedes's and RedBull's to be legal with Charlie. Maybe now we know why Ferrari raised the suspension issue with Charlie. Clever.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mmred
mmred

it s pretty obvious ( to me at least ) that grip has to do with differential settings, engine torque settings, brake settings and not those parts in wich no setting in racing is allowed like suspension

PlatinumZealot

Could be MGUK "smoothing"
100% mguk smoothing in the slow coners to reducing tyre vibrations? Keep in mind these engines have small flywheels and are not the smoothest things.. A pure electric torque output does not oscillate like a piston engine. Could it make wnough of a difference? Disadvamtage being using the mguk too much reduces battery hence the 12 settings? Just guessing...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

f1316
f1316

Is there any way they could adjust how much brake heat goes into the tyre? I.e. Tyres are too cold, open some of the holes to bring back into window/likewise turn it down in the race once up to temp?

Mercedes keep talking of Ferrari being better at keeping tyres in the window and using brake heat seems to be a big thing for teams, so wondering if the driver is somehow able to control this?

SR71

Do we have Vettel/Kimi onboards that could shed light?

Where and when they adjust this dial?

ME4ME

Could be as simple as the knob just being an indicator to the pit wall describing how much grip there is left in the tyres. Purely a tactical tool basically.

santos
santos

Or could be a fake button. So everyone is losing time figuring out for what is it for. :D

ripper
ripper

I've read on Twitter that GRIP switch is for clutch control during race start. There's also this video where Alonso explains the steering wheel, should be around 2:30 (I can't listen here in office)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRM5ISHT6ZA

ojlopez
ojlopez

ripper wrote:
05 May 2017, 14:17
I've read on Twitter that GRIP switch is for clutch control during race start. There's also this video where Alonso explains the steering wheel, should be around 2:30 (I can't listen here in office)

quoting Alonso in the video "grip regulates the clutch position and it is used for race start" Not much details.

f1316
f1316

ojlopez wrote:
05 May 2017, 16:23
ripper wrote:

quoting Alonso in the video "grip regulates the clutch position and it is used for race start" Not much details.
So what we're basically saying is: they've had this dial for years and yet motorsport decide to do an article about it now (because, as is always the way, once a team is successful, everything on their car is 'magical' in some way...)

Muniix
Muniix

ojlopez wrote:
05 May 2017, 16:23
ripper wrote:

A particular settings can be complex it could be orchestrating, composing many things to achieve an outcome.

The button is just a convience to the driver to communicate with the vehicle.

How they Implement it is only limited by the regulations and compute performance available.

Advantages of such a versatile Hybrid platform.

atanatizante

Someone with better knowledge could answer for the following questions, please?

1. These "grills" are just for blocking debris or could have an AoA hence generating DF?

2. Those holes have a leading edge with an AoA in order to add some DF to the FW or they are enclosed to divert some airflow just to minimize the front tyre wake ?

3. This winglet is placed on the same vertical plane with car`s CoG?

4. These brake ducts winglets are new or every car has them? ... The main purpose is for : 1.generating DF; 2.minimizing tyre wake or 3.helping diffuser to generated constant DF levels?

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

mmred
mmred

atanatizante wrote:
09 May 2017, 12:40
Someone with better knowledge could answer for the following questions, please?

1. These "grills" are just for blocking debris or could have an AoA hence generating DF?

https://s29.postimg.org/6wbfm2vuv/2017- ... _-_Pag.jpg

2. Those holes have a leading edge with an AoA in order to add some DF to the FW or they are enclosed to divert some airflow just to minimize the front tyre wake ?

https://s10.postimg.org/urbfbwtvt/2017- ... _-_Pag.jpg

3. This winglet is placed on the same vertical plane with car`s CoG?

https://s18.postimg.org/xekss5yfd/2017- ... _-_Pag.jpg

4. These brake ducts winglets are new or every car has them? ... The main purpose is for : 1.generating DF; 2.minimizing tyre wake or 3.helping diffuser to generated constant DF levels?

https://s8.postimg.org/eh0axbxrp/2017-0 ... _-_Pag.jpg
1) both
2) i dont see a profile so i guess they are justholes to divert the flow under the wing toward the sides of the tyre ( to reduce the higher pressure there too that could decrese the effect )
3)i don t know where the cog is located in a turbo era f1 car, turbo is pretty heavy and clumsy tough, it could be there, but the wing is placed there to keep the flow attached to the car and direct it toward the rear wing ( that profile generates lift!!!)
4) every car has them, they (also ) reduce tyre wake and overall car wake in that area directing the flow in an ideal configuration, but of course they mainly interact with the diffuser:if u see that part of the diffuser is where usually wings are placed to close the flow around it not to obtain more downforce, so i guess there the idea is more to have cleaner air as possible that doesnt detach the diffuser air from the car and optimize he interaction between diffuser and rear tyre wake by closinig the diffuser sides flow

GoranF1
GoranF1

Is it possible for some other team to copy the front part of Ferrari side pods?
This year.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Thunder

GoranF1 wrote:
10 May 2017, 14:47
Is it possible for some other team to copy the front part of Ferrari side pods?
This year.
Possible? Sure.

Likely? No.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum