The "Shield" cockpit protection device - 2017 evolution

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

What proposal would you back?

The Halo as proposed by Ferrari
3%
The small screen proposed by Red Bull
15%
The Proposed Shield
17%
None of the above
66%

Total votes: 143

Andres125sx

Re: The "Shield" to protect drivers?

What definition?

Main difference between F1 and WEC is not the canopy, but the race distance wich make the whole car (specially the PU) very different, as well as the race strategy approach, and that will never change with or without a canopy

FrukostScones

Andres125sx wrote:
10 May 2017, 18:46
What definition?

Main difference between F1 and WEC is not the canopy, but the race distance wich make the whole car (specially the PU) very different, as well as the race strategy approach, and that will never change with or without a canopy
formula racing,

but that is only monocoque, open wheel single seater...
in my book doens't say anything about open cockpit...
but why have a close cockpit when you have no doors.. :mrgreen:
so by logic it was always open cockpit not by definition.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

FrukostScones wrote:
10 May 2017, 19:55
Andres125sx wrote:
What definition?

formula racing,

Watch an episode of the nearly 40 year old TV show 'The Dukes of Hazzard'..
..them 'Duke boys' never needed no opening doors on 'th' General Lee'.. since its been NASCAR-style.. like.. ever since..
..pretty sure the F-22 cockpit shown earlier in the thread does not feature opening doors, either..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Andres125sx

FrukostScones wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
What definition?

formula racing,

Exactly :wink:

FrukostScones wrote:

It was always open cockpit, as it was always front engine until they changed that, it also was always mechanical grip dependant until aero was introduced, etc.

Everything is alwyas as it is until it is changed, but if that´s a reason to not change, F1 would have become a vintage series in no time :roll:

Andres125sx

J.A.W. wrote:
11 May 2017, 10:35
..pretty sure the F-22 cockpit shown earlier in the thread does not feature opening doors, either..
Maybe the fact that if it end up upside down in the ground it doesn´t matter as the pilot will be dead has some relevancy :mrgreen:

But I can´t see any reason doors couldn´t be implemented. Radiators and air inlets can´t be placed at any other point?

Closed cockpits are safer AND faster (reduce drag dramatically), so they´re the obvious evolution for F1 cars.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Andres125sx wrote:
11 May 2017, 10:45
J.A.W. wrote:
11 May 2017, 10:35
Maybe the fact that if it end up upside down in the ground it doesn´t matter as the pilot will be dead has some relevancy
Closed cockpits are safer AND faster (reduce drag dramatically), so they´re the obvious evolution for F1 cars.
Actually, Andres.. the issue of rapid egress from aircraft cockpits..
..viz: ejection - right through the canopy - which has deto-cord impregnated - for that purpose, is long since dealt with..
& way back in the days of the Spitfire, the pilot was provided with a pry-bar to assist, should he be inverted on the deck..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Andres125sx wrote:
11 May 2017, 10:45

Er, no, you can't say it would be safer although I agree it would likely be faster. Actually, faster makes it potentially less safe but...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Andres125sx

I´m still waiting for some example of some serious injury/death caused by a closed cockpit at any category Just a Fan...

Formula Wrong

Andres125sx wrote:
09 May 2017, 11:32
Vyssion wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 10:18
My view is that the whole "we must do something!!" thing that is going on at the moment is a total and complete over reaction to "A FREAK ACCIDENT"... One driver dies within 20yrs since Senna's death....
One freak accident?

Jules Bianchi
María de Villota
Almost Massa
Dan Wheldom
Henry Surtees
Justin Wilson
And probably some other I can´t remind just now...

It´s not one I´m afraid, probably not Bianchi, but all the rest would be alive if closed canopies were used.

One is a coincidence, even two can be a coincidence. 6 in past decade cannot be a coincidence, it´s showing a trend, and when a safety problem trend is noticed, FIA job is making whatever neccessary to stop that trend and stop accidents with drivers being injured or killed because of that
This; plus all the accidents where it was only luck that prevented someone from being hit in the head by a tyre, big debris or even a whole car. No matter whether they are freak accidents or not - they actually aren't as rare as we want them to be, and even if a solution couldn't have saved a certain driver in the past, if it can save others in the future, it's worth it.
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

Andres125sx

Formula Wrong wrote:
11 May 2017, 20:09
... plus all the accidents where it was only luck that prevented someone from being hit in the head by a tyre, big debris or even a whole car.
True, I only mentioned the serious accidents, but there have been some serious close calls too.

Maybe if Grosjean´s Lotus would have gone only one meter different trajectory and decapitated Alonso in Spa12 people would think different

Or Alonso and Kimi in Austria15

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Andres125sx wrote:
11 May 2017, 16:55
I´m still waiting for some example of some serious injury/death caused by a closed cockpit at any category Just a Fan...
I'm still waiting for an example of a serious injury / death caused by an open cockpit.

garygph
garygph

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 May 2017, 22:12
Andres125sx wrote:
I'm still waiting for an example of a serious injury / death caused by an open cockpit.
Did you really pause and think before you posted this Just a Fan?

V12-POWER
V12-POWER

Thank god Andres is not in charge of the FIA. If F1 becomes closed cockpit it will be like that gender war that exists nowadays. not full "cars" but not full "formula" cars. Better creating a different class altogether

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

garygph wrote:
11 May 2017, 23:05
Just_a_fan wrote:
11 May 2017, 22:12
Andres125sx wrote:
Did you really pause and think before you posted this Just a Fan?
Yes. None of the deaths described were "caused by an open cockpit". That's a fact. A semantic point, perhaps, but I think it's important to underline that open cockpits have not caused driver deaths.

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Formula Wrong wrote:
11 May 2017, 20:09
No matter whether they are freak accidents or not - they actually aren't as rare as we want them to be, and even if a solution couldn't have saved a certain driver in the past, if it can save others in the future, it's worth it.
This right here is the key point that is causing so much of an issue here;
How "rare" do these incidents need to be before it is deemed "acceptable"?

My opinion is that this "rarity" of the events occurring as currently exists today is low enough to not warrant further action.

Other people's opinions disagree.

But I do feel somewhat safe in assuming that the people who say that these incidents AREN'T rare enough today, would most likely still be saying so even with a halo or shield solution. And so it begs the question, where does it all end?
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"