2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GhostF1
GhostF1

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

godlameroso wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 04:42
Magnussen, Perez, and now Vandoorne, rookies that have had their carrers nearly destroyed by McLaren because they didn't stomp their teammates into the ground like everyone expected them to.
Haha I get your point but that's basically insinuating it's McLaren's fault for giving rookies a chance but partnering them with world champions and that basically these rookies need to be given a seat alongside either another rookie or someone a little less... Defined shall we say, in order to be successful.

I wouldn't call it a McLaren issue. The rookies surely would know the comparisons would come straight away.
Same thing is happening with Massa and Stroll.

Soichiro
Soichiro

godlameroso wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 00:38
Spec 2.5 ish. Which is good for .3 around Baku, or .2 anywhere else. There should be a chassis update around Silverstone/Hungaroring worth another tenth or two. Best case scenario the gap will be 1.5 seconds by the summer break. It's obviously not good enough but probably enough to mix it up at the front of the midfield. With the increased aero I think the next round will see McLaren placed similar to how they were in Monaco, and Barcelona. Whether that will translate in the race with their horrendous fuel economy remains to be seen.
I have read again what Hasegawa said and he says is not just 0.2 or 0.3 on a circuit like Baku, meaning it is potentially "much" more. Going by the top speed difference should probably be more than just 12-15 hp also, so I am looking forward to see what they can do in Austria.

Singabule
Singabule

GoranF1 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 00:52
godlameroso wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 00:38
Spec 2.5 ish. Which is good for .3 around Baku, or .2 anywhere else. There should be a chassis update around Silverstone/Hungaroring worth another tenth or two. Best case scenario the gap will be 1.5 seconds by the summer break. It's obviously not good enough but probably enough to mix it up at the front of the midfield. With the increased aero I think the next round will see McLaren placed similar to how they were in Monaco, and Barcelona. Whether that will translate in the race with their horrendous fuel economy remains to be seen.
A 0.3 upgrade from Honda and a 0.1 from Mclaren would be enough for Alonso to jump(on race pace) people like TR, Williams, Hass and Renault even fight FI..that is on DF tracks.

For Vandoorne not even a Merc PU would do it.
He is still afraid to brake late. Stroll easily outpace him on the same car to be honest. I wonder how bad MCL training is. :lol:

kaepernickus

Singabule wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 09:27
He is still afraid to brake late. Stroll easily outpace him on the same car to be honest. I wonder how bad MCL training is. :lol:
I doubt that.
I think the Honda PU needs a lot more management and driving around its issues than the Mercedes PU, which has been fine-tuned since the already very good 2014 iteration.

Alonso is one of the very best, a 15+ seasons F1 veteran and in his third season with those not so great Honda PUs.

So I think people should cut Vandoorne some slack. He's still a rookie and new to many tracks (including Baku).
After all he finished about 30s behind Alonso with a bad/unlucky strategy.

GoranF1
GoranF1

kaepernickus wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 10:13
Singabule wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 09:27
I doubt that.
I think the Honda PU needs a lot more management and driving around its issues than the Mercedes PU, which has been fine-tuned since the already very good 2014 iteration.

Alonso is one of the very best, a 15+ seasons F1 veteran and in his third season with those not so great Honda PUs.

So I think people should cut Vandoorne some slack. He's still a rookie and new to many tracks (including Baku).
After all he finished about 30s behind Alonso with a bad/unlucky strategy.
Alonso is not one of the best, he is the best and by quite a margin.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Andres125sx

godlameroso wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 01:19
McLaren = Rookie destroyer.
I´d better say Alonso = team mate destroyer. Even Raikonnen looked slow compared to him with a constant half second deficit with same car :wink:

marvin78
marvin78

He didn't destroy Button or Hamilton.

etusch

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 11:25
godlameroso wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 01:19
McLaren = Rookie destroyer.
I´d better say Alonso = team mate destroyer. Even Raikonnen looked slow compared to him with a constant half second deficit with same car :wink:
First of all I want to say underlined that I don't want to be part of who is better discussions.
I am an Alonso fans. From my point of view he drow better from Button and as point he was not behind Hamilton when team's support for Ham which is hard to see as lower team supported driver .
Raikkonen was very very fast when he was at mclaren. As I am not fan of him I were like his style. But everytime he has good pace, every time he struggling lack of chance. When he drive fast he is like Alonso moving another team which is starting to live their bad era .
I remember Button's first appearence with Williams Raikkonen at mclaren after sauber (I was not know him when he was at sauber) Massa etc. They are as if my generation and don't like to see their retirments. I also like to see many drivers I know from F1, drives in other series successfuly.
Last edited by etusch on 26 Jun 2017, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

SameSame
SameSame

marvin78 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 11:35
He didn't destroy Button or Hamilton.
He comprehensively beat Button last season, and in 2015 his engine issues at the 2015 US GP (that was in mixed conditions allowing McLaren to be competitive), ultimately cost him finishing ahead on points that season.

Button is severely under rated though and I'm confident the gap would be much smaller to Alonso if he was in place of Vandoorne. I wonder how having Vandoorne in the car has impacted car development.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Was this the first race for both cars to finish without troubles? (Monaco excluded) With massive penalties that's a positive.

RedNEO

Eric Boullier 'not excited' by McLaren-Honda's first 2017 F1 points

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula-1/bo ... tory.shtml

Thunder

He's right. It's nice to finally have something but for McLaren it's really nothing to write home about.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

RS200E

godlameroso wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 04:42
Magnussen, Perez, and now Vandoorne, rookies that have had their carrers nearly destroyed by McLaren because they didn't stomp their teammates into the ground like everyone expected them to.
Nonsense and I knew you would get it wrong. Perez wasn't a rookie after 2 years at Sauber before joining McLaren.

Magnusen is doing alright for himself at the moment so harldy has been destroyed.

Vandoorn simply isn't doing a good enough job. We can physically see that he isn't driving well.

No idea why I even got involved in such a ridiculous comment.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

diffuser

The Season Starts in Austria.

Thunder

Is it THE Upgrade they're bringing for Austria or just another Step to Prep for it? Whatever Alonso tested on Friday was a normal Upgrade. And that's what they want to bring to Austria right?

The Season starts whenever they introduce the big Upgrade that is supposed to Fix the Engine.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum