2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RedNEO

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Yup. The original plan was to start the season with an engine that has them in the top 5 atleast. So until they get an engine that can do that then this season has not started.

godlameroso

RS200E wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 12:44
godlameroso wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 04:42
Magnussen, Perez, and now Vandoorne, rookies that have had their carrers nearly destroyed by McLaren because they didn't stomp their teammates into the ground like everyone expected them to.
Nonsense and I knew you would get it wrong. Perez wasn't a rookie after 2 years at Sauber before joining McLaren.

Magnusen is doing alright for himself at the moment so harldy has been destroyed.

Vandoorn simply isn't doing a good enough job. We can physically see that he isn't driving well.

No idea why I even got involved in such a ridiculous comment.
You have to read all the words for things to make sense. Perez and Magnussen will both admit that McLaren was tough on them mentally, that it rattled their confidence in themselves. I'm glad they found their place, racing for McLaren didn't help them though.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Thunders wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 12:50
Is it THE Upgrade they're bringing for Austria or just another Step to Prep for it? Whatever Alonso tested on Friday was a normal Upgrade. And that's what they want to bring to Austria right?

The Season starts whenever they introduce the big Upgrade that is supposed to Fix the Engine.
The last quarter of the season, these are parts to guide that development, which can bring some performance here and now.
Saishū kōnā

Jolle
Jolle

godlameroso wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 13:18
RS200E wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Magnussen, Perez, and now Vandoorne, rookies that have had their carrers nearly destroyed by McLaren because they didn't stomp their teammates into the ground like everyone expected them to.
Nonsense and I knew you would get it wrong. Perez wasn't a rookie after 2 years at Sauber before joining McLaren.

Magnusen is doing alright for himself at the moment so harldy has been destroyed.

Vandoorn simply isn't doing a good enough job. We can physically see that he isn't driving well.

You have to read all the words for things to make sense. Perez and Magnussen will both admit that McLaren was tough on them mentally, that it rattled their confidence in themselves. I'm glad they found their place, racing for McLaren didn't help them though.
To me it feels like McLaren is hunting for “the next big star” after Hakkinnen, Räikkönen and Hamilton, but MAG, PER and VAN aren’t...

godlameroso

They are very good drivers, but Alonso is a once in a generation talent. Hamilton on his best day is unstoppable but he has bad days. Even when Alonso has bad days and bad cars he can still fight for the championship. No one else has been able to take a fight to the end with a car that's almost a second off the pace like he has. When Vettel tried, every other word was a frustrated profanity.
Saishū kōnā

RedNEO

godlameroso wrote:
RS200E wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Without McLaren they wouldn't even be in F1.

RedNEO

Jolle wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 13:27
godlameroso wrote:
RS200E wrote:

To me it feels like McLaren is hunting for “the next big star” after Hakkinnen, Räikkönen and Hamilton, but MAG, PER and VAN aren’t...
The juries still out on Van. If we look at stroll he's been able to transform his season in a couple of races.

godlameroso

Let's see what happens next race, the second half of the lap takes some real manly driving to be fast. Turns 4 through 8 are going to be insane with the added downforce. With barely a touch of the brakes.
Saishū kōnā

Soichiro
Soichiro

Thunders wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 12:50
Is it THE Upgrade they're bringing for Austria or just another Step to Prep for it? Whatever Alonso tested on Friday was a normal Upgrade. And that's what they want to bring to Austria right?

The Season starts whenever they introduce the big Upgrade that is supposed to Fix the Engine.
Yes Austria is the "intermediate" update but should be a notable step forward (more than Barcelona). The "big" upgrade or the "End of 2016 Mercedes level power" is supposed to be introduced at Spa. As I understand it.

etusch

On paper it’s a good strategy,” team boss Eric Boullier told Britain’s Sky.
“If you can run a (different) engine for the time being until Honda is competitive, then why not? This is one of the various scenarios we may have considered,” he added.
Mercedes’ Toto Wolff said in Baku that the issue of McLaren’s 2018 engine supplier needs to be resolved by around the end of the summer.
Boullier admitted the decision is “a question of weeks” away.

Gptoday's news

marvin78
marvin78

So let others help devlope the PU in another car and grab it back when it is good enough. And Honda should play along with such a stupid game?

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 12:57
Yup. The original plan was to start the season with an engine that has them in the top 5 atleast. So until they get an engine that can do that then this season has not started.
This will be top 5!

ZakB
ZakB

marvin78 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:22
So let others help devlope the PU in another car and grab it back when it is good enough. And Honda should play along with such a stupid game?
I think they will. Honda doesn't have to pay McLaren 100+ million yearly, which is wasted money because what's the point of having Alonso in the car, while the engine is losing seconds every lap. The McLaren shareholders will provide the team with the necessary budget, so it's all good and eventually we will see Honda come back to McLaren, hopefully with a new title sponsor, which will be easier to find if you're fighting for podiums.
Last edited by ZakB on 26 Jun 2017, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

Gerhardsa

marvin78 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:22
Who will you put your money on to win a championship(when the engine is on par with Ferrari and Merc)? Sauber or McLaren?

HPD

etusch wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 14:26
On paper it’s a good strategy,” team boss Eric Boullier told Britain’s Sky.
“If you can run a (different) engine for the time being until Honda is competitive, then why not? This is one of the various scenarios we may have considered,” he added.
Mercedes’ Toto Wolff said in Baku that the issue of McLaren’s 2018 engine supplier needs to be resolved by around the end of the summer.
Boullier admitted the decision is “a question of weeks” away.

Gptoday's news
This is possible, but if they work in 2019 or 2020. Mclaren must pay the engines, pay the driver's wages, and the 100 million euros will not exist. Honda could work with redbull without problems.

Not a bad idea for Honda