2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Hamilton vs Vettel incident

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wynters
Wynters

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Hamilton vs Vettel incident

Gothrek wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:44
In a car with such an amount of downforce/drag, not accelerating is very similar to braking.
Have you seen the onboards at that corner? You see Hamilton almost going to a standstill.
"Stewards examined Hamilton's car data in Vettel incident. Did not brake or lift off completely. Maintained more or less constant speed and behaved the same at that re-start at that point on the track as he did at the other two re-starts. Source FIA (via Andrew Benson).

Further reporting:-
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130388

The onboard from a following car only shows relative closing speeds.

TAG

ClarkBT11 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:57
Is Vettel's ego too big for that? Yes definitely.
...or his testicles too small. 8)
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Wynters
Wynters

ClarkBT11 wrote:
Vettel asked multiple​ times what was dangerous about his driving, solidating the fact that he saw his actions as unworthy of a penalty, then backed up by his attitude post race interview.
Would it be a clever idea to admit that the incident was an accidental​, that would be your only case with the FIA to avoid more punishment. Is Vettel's ego too big for that? Yes definitely.
I don't think it's about ego. It's tough to be objective straight after the race with a combination of adrenaline, anger and fear probably still pumping through him. I expect Vettel to release a saner statement during the week, once he's calmed down and had a chance to review the incidents.

Squid
Squid

ClarkBT11 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 12:08
Squid wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 02:51
ClarkBT11 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 02:21
Wouldn't it possibly stop more penalties if he said it was a mistake instead making it look more like he intended to with a smug spoilt school boy look on his face.
I don't particularly care for your interpretation of Vettel's face. It's irrelevant. Anxiety is easily mistaken for arrogance when you have no choice but to say something when you don't really want.

He'll undoubtedly be talking directly with the FIA, that's where he gets to make his case. Everywhere else he's probably better off just shutting up about it until Ferrari is safe that the FIA won't be taking any further action against them.
Like you said before it's not Vettel's first rodeo, and his personality and decision making has previous to which adds to my interpretation. Vettlel did give us an answer in the post race interview, he was not denying it was intentional and showed no remorse for his actions. "that's what happens when you get brake tested. He thought that crashing into Hamilton the second time was a reasonable reaction.
What? "That's what happens when you get brake tested" is ramming Hamilton on the back. He wasn't talking about the sideswipe. He never even acknowledged it.

Gothrek
Gothrek

Wynters wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:58
Gothrek wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:44
In a car with such an amount of downforce/drag, not accelerating is very similar to braking.
Have you seen the onboards at that corner? You see Hamilton almost going to a standstill.
"Stewards examined Hamilton's car data in Vettel incident. Did not brake or lift off completely. Maintained more or less constant speed and behaved the same at that re-start at that point on the track as he did at the other two re-starts. Source FIA (via Andrew Benson).

Further reporting:-
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130388

The onboard from a following car only shows relative closing speeds.
So where does this contradict my statement exactly?

ClarkBT11

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 13:33
To be honest, I'm disappointed with how poor memory people seem to have. This wasn't the first time Hamilton does such slow and controversial SC restarts, so to categorically reject even the slightest possibility that what he did was cunning and intentional (and let's not insult his intelligence and experience, if he wants to do something like this and avoid penalty - he has the skill to do it) is baffling. There is a considerable history of Hamilton's controversial moves and this was one of them. There is also a history of Vettel outbursts and this was one of them. And both of them have been accused and penalized rightfully and wrongfully and that will not change...
I'm disappointed how Hamilton's past manoeuvres have clouded your judgement. The gap between Hamilton and Ocon stayed the same you can see and hear Vettel speed up at the apex. No indication on the FIA's telemetry of break testing. There were two outbursts from Vettel 1) Vettel crashed into the back of Hamilton. 2) Vettel crashed into the side of Hamilton.

Mattchu

Who else wants to see Vettel and Hamilton in the next drivers press conference? Perhaps with Alonso sat between them :D

ClarkBT11

Squid wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 16:07
ClarkBT11 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 12:08
Squid wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 02:51

I don't particularly care for your interpretation of Vettel's face. It's irrelevant. Anxiety is easily mistaken for arrogance when you have no choice but to say something when you don't really want.

He'll undoubtedly be talking directly with the FIA, that's where he gets to make his case. Everywhere else he's probably better off just shutting up about it until Ferrari is safe that the FIA won't be taking any further action against them.
Like you said before it's not Vettel's first rodeo, and his personality and decision making has previous to which adds to my interpretation. Vettlel did give us an answer in the post race interview, he was not denying it was intentional and showed no remorse for his actions. "that's what happens when you get brake tested. He thought that crashing into Hamilton the second time was a reasonable reaction.
What? "That's what happens when you get brake tested" is ramming Hamilton on the back. He wasn't talking about the sideswipe. He never even acknowledged it.
By not denying it an saying Hamilton should get a penalty as well says it all.

Gothrek
Gothrek

ClarkBT11 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 16:15
Vanja #66 wrote:
To be honest, I'm disappointed with how poor memory people seem to have. This wasn't the first time Hamilton does such slow and controversial SC restarts, so to categorically reject even the slightest possibility that what he did was cunning and intentional (and let's not insult his intelligence and experience, if he wants to do something like this and avoid penalty - he has the skill to do it) is baffling. There is a considerable history of Hamilton's controversial moves and this was one of them. There is also a history of Vettel outbursts and this was one of them. And both of them have been accused and penalized rightfully and wrongfully and that will not change...
I'm disappointed how Hamilton's past manoeuvres have clouded your judgement. The gap between Hamilton and Ocon stayed the same you can see and hear Vettel speed up at the apex. No indication on the FIA's telemetry of break testing. There were two outbursts from Vettel 1) Vettel crashed into the back of Hamilton. 2) Vettel crashed into the side of Hamilton.
How can the first one be on purpose? People are really making this more than what it is. But hey, sensationalism sells right.
1 is a racing incident
2 is a driver getting pissed off way more than usual

We have been complaining about drivers being so boring, etc. well it is not boring now is it?

ClarkBT11

TAG wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:59
ClarkBT11 wrote:
Is Vettel's ego too big for that? Yes definitely.
...or his testicles too small. 8)
They shrank in Canada were he nearly crashed but unintentionally this time. Starting to see a trend.

Vasconia

Mattchu wrote:
Who else wants to see Vettel and Hamilton in the next drivers press conference? Perhaps with Alonso sat between them :D
Count me in! plus a podium interview in Austria. :mrgreen:

ClarkBT11

Gothrek wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 16:21
ClarkBT11 wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
How can the first one be on purpose? People are really making this more than what it is. But hey, sensationalism sells right.
1 is a racing incident

We have been complaining about drivers being so boring, etc. well it is not boring now is it?
1) Vettel's fault he crashed into Hamilton not the other way round second guessing Hamilton's​ actions wrongly. Not Hamilton being unsportsmanlike.

2) Vettel being unsportsmanlike intentionally​ and Ferrari supporters defending those actions comical and desperate.

Squid
Squid

Man, I'm done with this discussion. You guys believe whatever the --- you want. I'd never have imagined that it would be so hard to get some of you to simply acknowledge a possibility, but I hadn't realized you were clairvoyants.

I'm just gonna leave this here, think on it:

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
- Bertrand Russell

Gothrek
Gothrek

ClarkBT11 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 16:29
Gothrek wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:

1 is a racing incident

1) Vettel's fault he crashed into Hamilton not the other way round second guessing Hamilton's​ actions wrongly. Not Hamilton being unsportsmanlike.

2) Vettel being unsportsmanlike intentionally​ and Ferrari supporters defending those actions comical and desperate.
I woud say largely Vettels fault, I put it at 70% Vettel 30% Hamilton, he did not hit the brake pedal, but he was slowing down a lot in a corner, which is rather stupid. There is not an advantage for Vettel for doing this, these things happens when the guy in front wants to be "smart", so I would deem this is a racing incident. I think most people would follow me here. Of course the second part of Vettel was unsportsmanlike, fully agree.

dans79

Gothrek wrote:
There is a lot of space between boring, and out of control. I believe most people want drivers some where in the middle.
197 104 103 7